Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my stock c5 alloy wheels to chrome c5 wheels, I have the Goodyear runflats on the car. I was told a couple different things about the runflats. One was that there is a thick rubber band around the rim that must come off after you dismount the tire and then installed on the new rim, the other was that the runflats have a very stiff sidewall and that is what holds up the tire in the case of a flat. Which is right, and is it a problem to change the rims with the runflats. Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I switched out my rims and didn't have a problem with taking the runflats off and putting them back on. Just go to someone that knows what they're doing so they don't scratch the rim or anything since the tires have a much stiffer sidewall. Other than that it's easy:thumbsup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I switched out my rims and didn't have a problem with taking the runflats off and putting them back on. Just go to someone that knows what they're doing so they don't scratch the rim or anything since the tires have a much stiffer sidewall. Other than that it's easy:thumbsup:
:agree:

I replaced my wheels with polished Z06 wheels and the Goodyear Run~craps with Michelin Pilot Sports (non-runflat).

Best "mod" I ever did to the car. The Pilot Sports ride 1000% better than the Goodyear's and make 1/10 the noise :partyon:

·
Registered
414 Posts
:agree:

I replaced my wheels with polished Z06 wheels and the Goodyear Run~craps with Michelin Pilot Sports (non-runflat).

Best "mod" I ever did to the car. The Pilot Sports ride 1000% better than the Goodyear's and make 1/10 the noise :partyon:
:agree: I did the same. Had the Pilots balanced on a Hunter Road Force. Perfect ride w/ hardly any noise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The runflats are like new so I am going to keep them, my question is; is there a thick rubber band around the inside of the rim or is it just a very stiff sidewall, thanks.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
As osuvette stated, the Goodyear run-flats have a MUCH stiffer sidewall, and that is what supports the car when there is little or no air in the tire. To my knowledge there is no thick rubber band around the inside of the rim.

·
Registered
918 Posts
As others already stated, the tires work because of a very stiff sidewall. There's no thick rubber band or anything in there. The only other element to the system is the tire pressure sensor, which should be attached to your valve stem. This will need to be moved to the new wheel after the tire is taken off. Make sure they don't damage it in the process though, I hear the sensor can be kinda pricey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts