Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Republicans Say Federal Workers Get Paid too Much Money, But Many Have Increased Office Payroll in Recent Years.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/20/politics/main7168200.shtml

(AP) For a guy who insists that federal bureaucrats make too much money, incoming House Majority Leader Eric Cantor sure doesn't mind handing out handsome government raises of his own.

Cantor, the Virginia Republican who has led the GOP charge this year to freeze federal salaries, has boosted his congressional office's payroll by 81 percent since coming to Congress in 2001 - about 8 percent per year through 2009. When he became minority whip last year, the office's personnel expenses went up by at least 16 percent.

Cantor and other GOP leaders are now pledging to cut their budgets by 5 percent when they take over the House in January - a symbolic gesture aimed at showing a commitment to slowing Washington spending. But the lawmakers suddenly calling for wage cuts often haven't practiced what they're preaching.

Overall, congressional payroll expenses have climbed much faster than the civilian federal work force costs that lawmakers are now clamoring to freeze. Many of the most vocal federal critics have overseen growth that rivals or outstrips the executive branch's, according to data from Legistorm, a website that tracks congressional salaries. For example:

Firebrand Republican Michele Bachmann of Minnesota has for months pushed legislation to freeze what she calls "unconscionable" federal salaries. Meanwhile, her own payroll jumped 16 percent between 2007, when she came to Congress, and 2009.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, the Utah Republican set to chair the House subcommittee overseeing the federal work force, says Washington must "figure out how to do more with less." But the freshman lawmaker gave his own employees an average raise of about 9 percent this year.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., who has long criticized federal pay, has overseen an average jump of 8 percent per year in his office employee costs between 2006, his first full year in the Senate, and 2009.

The lawmakers offered various explanations for their rising costs, with many saying they were simply going along with the budget allowances that Congress sets each year for its members. Some said they were working to hire the best staffs they could to serve their districts or had new demands such as the need to hire a social media coordinator.

Chaffetz and Coburn emphasized that while they may have spent more on salaries, they still came in well under the overall budget for House and Senate expenditures.

"What's important to me is that we drive the overall number down," he said.

Cantor spokesman Brad Dayspring said his boss deserves credit for recognizing the issue now and working to address it.

"The new Republican majority will cut spending, and Eric believes that effort starts with his team," Dayspring said.

The issue of federal salaries came to a head last month when President Barack Obama took a page from the Republican playbook and proposed freezing civilian federal wages for two years. Cantor and other Republicans had offered similar plans earlier in the year that were widely panned by Democrats.

Conservatives argue correctly that federal payrolls have outstripped the private sector's in recent years. Total U.S. private personnel costs rose just 25 percent from 2001 to 2009, compared with 39 percent for the civilian federal workforce's.

But the comparison doesn't account for the explosion in federal homeland security hiring that followed the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks that has helped fuel the federal increase. And even with that jump, the number of federal employees has fallen over the past 20 years from 1 for every 110 residents in 1988 to 1 for every 155 residents in 2008, according to the latest federal budget.

While studies show that the federal work force overall earns a higher average salary, that's because the government has more professional employees than the private work force, which includes a heavy contingent of lower-paid service employees such as fast-food workers and hotel housekeepers.

When similar high-skill jobs in the public and private sectors are compared - engineers, physicians or scientists, for example - the government workers generally make less than their private-sector counterparts. A 2002 study by the Congressional Budget office found that for 85 percent of federal professional and administrative personnel, their pay was more than 20 percent below private salaries.

Meanwhile, congressional payroll costs have climbed at a far faster pace than either the federal government's or the private sector's.

Between 2001 and 2009, Congress boosted its personnel costs by 51 percent, according to Legistorm, increasing it steadily under both Democratic and Republican leadership.

A recent House survey found that lawmakers doled out merit raises averaging nearly 6 percent in 2008. Most of them also gave cost-of-living adjustments of 3 or 4 percent, and one-time bonuses averaging several thousand dollars, the survey found. Most federal workers get raises of 3 or 4 percent per year.

Colleen M. Kelley, head of the National Treasury Employees Union, said the congressional practice shows that lawmakers understand they need competitive salaries to get good employees.

"The federal government needs to be able to hire and keep talented and skilled employees, and worsening federal pay will make that much more difficult," she said.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like AIG.....:D

time will tell............

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
While the purpose of the article is to show Republican hypocritical behavior, it actually shows why government as employer is much more inefficient than private sector as employer. If you are a government boss, it's no pain for you to hand out big salary increases and you get to be a hero to boot. Profitability doesn't count. The only thing that counts is if the system will let you do it. No one on earth thinks he is overpaid, and I'm sure that goes for all government employees. But at least the private sector has a reality based budget to set pay for it's employees. The government has an endless ability to tax more capital from the rest of us to increase it's fortunes.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
How about there's waaay too many government employees in the first place?

Where is the equation in that article that shows the number of federal employees that have been hired in the past 4 years....coincidentally aligning with the democratic supermajority?

What happens when you make a problem bigger rather than smaller?

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about there's waaay too many government employees in the first place?

Where is the equation in that article that shows the number of federal employees that have been hired in the past 4 years....coincidentally aligning with the democratic supermajority?

What happens when you make a problem bigger rather than smaller?
I agree,

But the biggest jumps were NSA under bush and micromanaging to get people employed with govt jobs by obama to fluff up unemployment numbers.

Again.....the biggest problem......Companies refuse to hire, and want people to spend more money.
People want companies to hire, and cannot afford to spend money.

It's a stalemate.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I agree,

But the biggest jumps were NSA under bush and micromanaging to get people employed with govt jobs by obama to fluff up unemployment numbers.

Again.....the biggest problem......Companies refuse to hire, and want people to spend more money.

It's a stalemate.
Yeah, And If you are truely good at what you do,

You don't have Budget problems,

The American taxpayer has been Ripped-Off !

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I agree,

It's a stalemate.
The biggest jumps in the last two years have been at the Dept. of Education and the EPA. Obama and the Dems have the pedal to the metal to increase the regulatory side of government. More government employees and more regulation means more and more people dependent on government which is the method Dems use to stay in power. Their hopes for that permanent majority lie in having a majority of Americans dependent on them for happiness. The Healthcare Bill was a major brick in that wall. The Dems won't rest until every one of us owes our existence to them, and the very best way for them to do that is grow government so they can just hire us. :down:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Yes it is. They are leaders. They must lead by example.
I knew someone would say that.

My statement is pointing to the tens of thousands of government workers that get nearly unlimited benefits, and pensions without regard to performance or fiscal justification.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
I knew someone would say that.

My statement is pointing to the tens of thousands of government workers that get nearly unlimited benefits, and pensions without regard to performance or fiscal justification.
Just like Congress voted for themselves?

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Yes, it's all of them. Just way, way, way more than the number of Congressmen.
Don't blame the body for what the head eats.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
No offense intended but if any private business was running a deficit, the private business owner would cut everyones salary by 10 percent without blinking an eye to pull the expenses inline with income..

For some reason the federal government as well as state governments are immune to this idea..

Just cut federal, state and county workers pay by 10 percent.

Those that don't like it can quit and the millions who are out of work can easily replace them.

A ten percent pay cut is nothing compared to what the private sector is doing to employees..

JMO to help balance the budget.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Ding..ding...ding and we have a winner!

This is totally ridiculous.

At this point its almost annoying to hear how the "government" can't figure out a way to cut the deficit..

"What services can they cut? They just can't figure it out..."

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like tapping them on the noggin and just tell them...

Hey stupid...if it were a private business everyone working for the company would get a 10 percent pay cut IMMEDIATELY!

I'm just amazed this very simple idea hasn't been brought center stage..

If the government isn't bringing the revenues to meet its obligations...then everyone working for the government acrosss the board gets a 10 percent pay cut immediately..

And if that doesn't resolve the issue than make it another 5 or 10 percent..

You'll see how fast we stop 5000 dollar hammers and bridges to no where..real fast!

Just my opinion..

I'm not a democrat or republican at this point because the stupidity of our government threatening to cut services is ridiculous..

When the average government worker is making 150 grand...and the president is getting what 400 grand..

Something is totally out of wack..

I hope they don't pass the deficit ceiling bill in front of congress right now..

Just god dam it...cut everyones salary by 10 percent and if they don't like it..

LET THEM QUIT! I am sure we can replace these people with many of the unemployeed who would I am sure be willing to work for a decent wage..

Off my soap box! and sorry if I happen to offend anyone..

JB

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Well stated. Feel free to stand on my box for a bit. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The biggest jumps in the last two years have been at the Dept. of Education and the EPA. Obama and the Dems have the pedal to the metal to increase the regulatory side of government. More government employees and more regulation means more and more people dependent on government which is the method Dems use to stay in power. Their hopes for that permanent majority lie in having a majority of Americans dependent on them for happiness. The Healthcare Bill was a major brick in that wall. The Dems won't rest until every one of us owes our existence to them, and the very best way for them to do that is grow government so they can just hire us. :down:

bump ttt again....

Linky?

:huh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts