Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/31/gop-loves-child-labor/

Maine State Rep. David Burns is the latest of many Republican lawmakers concerned that employers aren’t allowed to do enough to exploit child workers:

LD 1346 suggests several significant changes to Maine’s child labor law, most notably a 180-day period during which workers under age 20 would earn $5.25 an hour.

The state’s current minimum wage is $7.50 an hour.

Rep. David Burns, R-Whiting, is sponsoring the bill, which also would eliminate the maximum number of hours a minor over 16 can work during school days.

:WTF

--------------------------------------
Burns’ bill is particularly insidious, because it directly encourages employers to hire children or teenagers instead of adult workers. Because workers under 20 could be paid less than adults under this GOP proposal, minimum wage workers throughout Maine would likely receive a pink slip as their twentieth birthday present so that their boss could replace them with someone younger and cheaper.

And Burns is just one of many prominent Republicans who believe that America’s robust protections against the exploitation of children are wrongheaded:

•Maine State Sen. Debra Plowman (R) introduced a separate bill that would extend the number of hours employers can require a minor to work. Maine Gov. Paul LePage (R) backs this proposal.
•Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) delivered a lengthy lecture where he claimed that federal child labor laws violate the Constitution. His Republican colleagues in the Senate rewarded him with a seat on the Senate Judiciary Committee — the committee with jurisdiction over constitutional questions.
•Missouri State Sen. Jane Cunningham (R) introduced a bill which would “eliminate[] the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed.”
•Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli’s (R) most recent brief attacking the Affordable Care Act relies heavily on a discredited Supreme Court decision striking down a federal child labor law that was overruled decades ago.
•Judges Roger Vinson and Henry Hudson, the two outlier judges who struck down the ACA, also relied heavily on this discredited anti-child labor decision in their decisions.
Republicans’ contempt for workers is hardly news. GOP governors throughout the country have declared war on collective bargaining, and the national minimum wage remained stagnant for nearly a decade the last time Republicans controlled Congress. Nevertheless, the GOP’s increasingly widespread assaults on child labor laws is a significant escalation from their longstanding war on adult workers.

:WTF :down:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Burns’ bill is particularly insidious, because it directly encourages employers to hire children or teenagers instead of adult workers.
Pure leftist thought process, there. I'm all for kids working at an early age. The earlier the better. Pay them half of the $5 bucks.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Minimum wage has all but wiped out summer jobs for kids. People like Dune are OK with that. So a 16 year-old with no skills, and no job experience who would like to be a little productive in the summer and make a little spending change is out of luck because the do-gooders insist that employers pay them more than they are worth. What a heart! And they call this "child labor" to make it sound sinister. Did anyone here ever get a summer job as a teen? Did you feel exploited, or were you just happy to make a few dollars? :crazy:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
This whole issue is basically the liberals "Introduction to Welfare" program to grow their constituent base. They have no interest whatsoever in helping or protecting anyone, only in keeping as many people as possible dependent wholly upon the government for their subsistance. This ensures the continued re-election of liberals who espouse the plethora of programs that encourage US citizens not to work or better themselves in any way, but to sit in their lawn chairs waiting for their gummint check.

And the earlier you can start 'em on this pathway, the better.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Minimum wage has all but wiped out summer jobs for kids. People like Dune are OK with that. So a 16 year-old with no skills, and no job experience who would like to be a little productive in the summer and make a little spending change is out of luck because the do-gooders insist that employers pay them more than they are worth. What a heart! And they call this "child labor" to make it sound sinister. Did anyone here ever get a summer job as a teen? Did you feel exploited, or were you just happy to make a few dollars? :crazy:
Hell I made a nickel a hay bale working at 14. Felt abused every day, but it was money I didn't have to ask for from Dad..

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
When our young does not work and is handed everything, it cements in them an entitlement mentality. Our youth are not even allowed to mow neighbors lawns anymore, due to regulations put forth by the state and the contractors board.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Hell I made a nickel a hay bale working at 14. Felt abused every day, but it was money I didn't have to ask for from Dad..
Nice. I made a quarter a day putting baseboards for my father every weekend and all through the summer. As my abilities and skills increased... I made more.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Nice. I made a quarter a day putting baseboards for my father every weekend and all through the summer. As my abilities and skills increased... I made more.
What? You mean your dad was allowed to place a value on your skills and pay you accordingly? I can't believe you didn't organize the local kids and form a union to demand that you all get paid top wages or there would be no workers. Apparently the Dems think your dad was an evil overlord cruelly taking advantage of child labor. Personally, I would say he was instilling values in you that say work has value, and the better you get at your work, and the harder you work, the more you will prosper. Good for your dad. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Hey, with all those states who are trying to prevent those under 20 from driving at night, what would it matter how much they get paid when they cannot get to work?

On the bright side, it will open a lot of jobs for adults lol

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So a 16 year-old with no skills, and no job experience...
ouch...

minimum wage for a job that's likely waaaaaaay under 30 hours is too expensive?

How do they pay for a car payment, insurance and gas?

oh..

The parent pays for that..or some of that.

hmmmmmm..

So.....

The parent bankrolls the auto, auto insurance...or more...

soooooooooo...

THE PARENT IS PAYING TO HAVE HIS CHILD BE EMPLOYED AND THE CHILD IS EMPLOYED AT A LOSS........so that a busniess owner can profit off the cheap labor.

That's messed up.

What's worse..

Millions of americans of all ages are already working at a loss, or paying to be employed.
Retirees, young, single moms, low income....

This is a big problem, and a huge part of the reason our social services are messed up.
The govt is paying for people to work for a living.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
ouch...

minimum wage for a job that's likely waaaaaaay under 30 hours is too expensive?

How do they pay for a car payment, insurance and gas?

oh..

The parent pays for that..or some of that.

hmmmmmm..

So.....

The parent bankrolls the auto, auto insurance...or more...

soooooooooo...

THE PARENT IS PAYING TO HAVE HIS CHILD BE EMPLOYED AND THE CHILD IS EMPLOYED AT A LOSS........so that a busniess owner can profit off the cheap labor.

That's messed up.

What's worse..

Millions of americans of all ages are already working at a loss, or paying to be employed.
Retirees, young, single moms, low income....

This is a big problem, and a huge part of the reason our social services are messed up.
The govt is paying for people to work for a living.
Well I'm no mathmetician, but If my kid costs me, say $1k a month to keep in car, clothes, entertainment, etc, and he makes $200 a month in a low paying summer job, my cost just went to $800/month, so I don't see how that's paying to have him work. Not to mention he learns a work ethic. You definitely have a leftist way of looking at things. If you really think a 16 year old simply should sit in front of the TV all summer long unless he can make $7.50 an hour, I feel sorry for your kids, because they are well on the path to worthlessness. Again, your fellow travellers have put millions of kids out of summer jobs. Hope your proud. :crazy:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'm no mathmetician, but If my kid costs me, say $1k a month to keep in car, clothes, entertainment, etc, and he makes $200 a month in a low paying summer job, my cost just went to $800/month, so I don't see how that's paying to have him work.:

:huh:

Not to mention your discussing a season job....

He's employed at a loss.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
This is a ridiculous thread... :laughing:

Dune's math skills are almost as bad as the governments.. oh wait, same mentality. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a ridiculous thread... :laughing:

Dune's math skills are almost as bad as the governments.. oh wait, same mentality. :rolleyes:
No.

You assumptions are that he's already paying to have the kid do nothing but party and drive around at his/the parents expense.

To start things off from point A, Going by numbers, if the child was to support himself or need jobs to evaluate needs/expenses to live on their own or work at a TRUE PROFIT...these numbers are the ones to use.

Back on topic..

Work ethics are not the subject.
The subject is labor under minimum wage and or child labor laws getting reduced by the Republican party.

This only deflates US wages overall.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
No.

You assumptions are that he's already paying to have the kid do nothing but party and drive around at his/the parents expense.
Let me give you a quick math lesson, I know you won't get it but I will waste my time anyway.

If a business, has X amount to spend on summer/seasonal help, then he can spend X. He can't spend Y, because he still has to make a profit or no more business. So, here comes the little unicorn herders, who decide that instead of this 16 yrold being worth what the market will support, they need to be paid a particular amount/

So, the business has X, the government wants him to pay Y, so the kid get's screwed out of the ability to make some summer/seasonal money.

Example:

Let's say I have a profit margin that will support 2 part time summer guys at $5 per hour. So basically I have $10 per hour extra, that I can spend without hurting my business.

Now you, the teenager, want to take the job I am offering. I tell you how much it pays, you don't like it so you go whine because your vast experience deserves more money. Your local unicorn herder steps in and writes some legislation to make me pay you $7.25 per hour. You think, "Gee this is great!" and run back to me. I explain to you, that rather than hurt my business, by paying 2 guys $7.25 ($14.50 per hour) I have decided to scale back, reduce my need for your employment, and as a bonus I have more free time myself.

So... what did you gain? Not a damn thing, and you lost the ability to make $5 for a summer/seasonal job.

That my friend, is simple math and I don't expect for 1 second that any of it will compute to you. But remember, from this post on, anything you say only makes my case for your title being 100% correct.

:cheers:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
the only thing more ridiculous than working for a loss, is giving bush era tax cuts to corps so they can send jobs overseas.
:laughing: Damn, your title is perfect.

You say Bush-Era.. but Barry The great just re-upped those cuts, and since Barry now owns TARP, he also bailed out countless foreign banks while the US taxpayers were taking the high-hard-one up the cornhole.

So, now you can bitch about it correctly.. Barry Era tax cuts that send jobs overseas.. like shooting fish in a barrel.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
:huh:

Not to mention your discussing a season job....

He's employed at a loss.
My experience is that most middle class teens have most of their expenses paid by their parents. Any income they earn is money they don't have to go begging their parents for. How many 17 year olds living at home pay their own way? Not many

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Let me give you a quick math lesson, I know you won't get it but I will waste my time anyway.

If a business, has X amount to spend on summer/seasonal help, then he can spend X. He can't spend Y, because he still has to make a profit or no more business. So, here comes the little unicorn herders, who decide that instead of this 16 yrold being worth what the market will support, they need to be paid a particular amount/

So, the business has X, the government wants him to pay Y, so the kid get's screwed out of the ability to make some summer/seasonal money.

Example:

Let's say I have a profit margin that will support 2 part time summer guys at $5 per hour. So basically I have $10 per hour extra, that I can spend without hurting my business.

Now you, the teenager, want to take the job I am offering. I tell you how much it pays, you don't like it so you go whine because your vast experience deserves more money. Your local unicorn herder steps in and writes some legislation to make me pay you $7.25 per hour. You think, "Gee this is great!" and run back to me. I explain to you, that rather than hurt my business, by paying 2 guys $7.25 ($14.50 per hour) I have decided to scale back, reduce my need for your employment, and as a bonus I have more free time myself.

So... what did you gain? Not a damn thing, and you lost the ability to make $5 for a summer/seasonal job.

That my friend, is simple math and I don't expect for 1 second that any of it will compute to you. But remember, from this post on, anything you say only makes my case for your title being 100% correct.

:cheers:
Or the other model.. He has X workload and really needs three people to perform it. But he can only support two part timers and a full timer of age at $17.25. So he short sells himself to hire 3 young uns at $15 and pushes the older one out the door via shitty hours or reduced hours that make them not desire to stay.
After a short time he now has three employees and is only paying $15.. Increasing workload and putting more money in his pocket..

even more if one of my part timers is an illegal...lol

That is the American way !!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
:laughing: Damn, your title is perfect.

You say Bush-Era.. but Barry The great just re-upped those cuts, and since Barry now owns TARP, he also bailed out countless foreign banks while the US taxpayers were taking the high-hard-one up the cornhole.

So, now you can bitch about it correctly.. Barry Era tax cuts that send jobs overseas.. like shooting fish in a barrel.
:rolling: If I make back to Texas before I die, WE need to stop and have a beer together:thumbsup:

Did you catch (Fox Buisness News) won ther court battle on making the Fed disclose how much money WAS REALLY GIVEN OUT to the banks............................................................................Wait for it................................................................................................$3.3 trillion

1 - 20 of 52 Posts