Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw. There are different pages on the bottom of the spreadsheet. Thats where the meat and potatos are. Don't edit anything on page one. With the exception of your BUDGET. Everything else is automatic...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I should lock the cells that are not to be edited. Just havn't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice.

I used to build engines and developed a spreadsheet for a similar reason as yours.

I added a sheet that listed all the vendors along with contact information that I used.
This was useful when it came time to do the next engine. I see you have a vendor column, but having the vendor info on one sheet was nice.

If you are into macros and VBA, you could create a button on the Overview page that brings up a data entry pop-up with option boxes and then autopopulates the correct worksheets.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to learn how to do that. I havn't ever done it though. I was a CSCI major in college, so I am sure that I could figure it out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would like to learn how to do that. I havn't ever done it though. I was a CSCI major in college, so I am sure that I could figure it out.
It does take a little time to get it bug free.

I learned a bunch when I developed a question/answer log for a company I worked for a few years ago. Google was my friend during that project. There are many good forums out there with a lot of helpful people on them.
I also picked up a book "Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA" by John Walkenbach.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
That is very cool.
I think using something like that to track parts and vendors, along with order/delivery times is a good thing. I'm not really sure the cost category is a good thing. If my bride ever found out how much I've spent, I'd be graveyard dead.
:thud:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, we can add a few columns, tracking #, order number, vendor etc. wouldn't be to hard. Then we could have the vendor link to a vendor page of its own, where you list all of the contact information for each vendor. I may work on that too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may continue to tweek this spreadsheet a bit over the next few days/weeks. See if I can get something really good built up. Perhaps we could get a sticky from the moderators once its finished? If you all find it useful enough.

???

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Nice job. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wow - that could be really useful tracking expenditures -- but I'm not so sure I want to know! Let alone my wife! Some secrets are best kept in the man cave... ;)

Just kidding. I've been trying to get to a similar project - so thanks for the lead.

Another idea is using excel as a form of project management - there are some templates out there - but I haven't had any time to get them loaded and usable yet.

Soon though.
Cheers Jim

10 more days and I'm back in the USA!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Spreadsheet

ElCid79 thank you for your work. I took the time to fill in all my cost to date. This is excellent for tracking my frame off restoration. Great tool:thumbsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanx for sharing that!
Wish I knew how to really use excel like that. I'm a gettin there, self taught on PC's.
I used to run & teach CAD workstations, so it made learning the PC a tad easier. :thumbsup:

Yeah, mod's -- sticky this one!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Before you post it I want to spend some more time tweaking it again since there has been so much interest. Should only take a few days.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts