Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, a little background. I am installing a hydraulic roller cam, got the cam in, installed the timing chain and cam button bearing. Next need to make a nylon plug to put in the center recess of the cam button bearing.

Well tonight I finally get a chance to do some measuring and I find out the stock GM cover is not deep enough! The bearing is taller than the depth of the cover. This is driving me nuts, it's one snag after another. I think I'll just machine a button from Nylon and give up on the fancy roller (that won't fit).

I don't know why I didn't do this to begin with. Thoughts?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have clearance behind the water pump for a deeper cover. Cloyes makes one, been there done that. I will just make a lower profile button. I'm just bitching about the snags I keep running into trying to do something very simple. It's driving me nuts, that engine was supposed to be together last month.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like it will work, but be sure to have between.003-.008 clearance between the button & cover, because the cover metal will expand.
P.S. HI GUYS!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Eddie

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Looks like the .800 one would work but these were my choices when I bought my cam from Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294844531+4294908216+4294840133+115+4294889122

Of the 10 listed there all are .925-.950 (exept one .640 button). The Lunati that was sold to me is .950 and my cam is a Lunati. Well it's done now, I machined the button at work today.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is that top gear machined for a Torrington bearing??
...redvetracr
I thought you just grind them down to the size you want :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts