Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the factory fan on the 77's blow towards the radiator instead of towards the engine?
:huh:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
the stock mech. fan? It's a puller, if yours blows someone has the blade one the wrong way around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope
I compared it to a puller and the blades are designed for reversed flow, and it is the stock fan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
can't be...it would be working against the design of the car. the air flow is forced from the front into the radiator. if yours was pushing, you'd have a negative air flow, especially at higher speeds.

butm you tweaked my interest, so now i gotta look.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
that fan is mounted backwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be that some dumbass at the plant mounted the blades wrong?
In that case would i have a rare collectable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Jlreyna said:
Could it be that some dumbass at the plant mounted the blades wrong?
In that case would i have a rare collectable?
lol...somehow i don't think that's how they rate "collectables"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
pws69 said:
Not possible.

Sounds like someone used a fan made for a SERPENTINE belt system.
I just looked at the stock clutch fan from my 72. The blades can be mounted wrong.

Doesn't a serpentine belt system still turn the blades in the same rotation? If not, then the water pump would turn backwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
AlwaysWave said:
I just looked at the stock clutch fan from my 72. The blades can be mounted wrong.

Doesn't a serpentine belt system still turn the blades in the same rotation? If not, then the water pump would turn backwards.
When you use a serpentine belt system, you MUST use a REVERSE ROTATION water pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let's not get confused here.
Stock fan from a 1977 corvette base engine with a/c and power steering. No serpentine and the water pump is flowing correctly. If you mount the fan backwards it will flow towards the engine, if you mount it normally it will flow very well towards the radiator. If you use a cowl induction hood, block off the front grills, and do away with the air dam it will make a good cooling system, with reduced heat in the engine compartment and colder air to the breather.
Anyways I have dual 12" electric fans on there at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Jlreyna said:
Let's not get confused here.
Stock fan from a 1977 corvette base engine with a/c and power steering. No serpentine and the water pump is flowing correctly. If you mount the fan backwards it will flow towards the engine, if you mount it normally it will flow very well towards the radiator. If you use a cowl induction hood, block off the front grills, and do away with the air dam it will make a good cooling system, with reduced heat in the engine compartment and colder air to the breather.
Anyways I have dual 12" electric fans on there at the moment.
Actually, I believe you are incorrect about the fan, but I don't fee llike debating.

Make yourself a little paper 2 blade fan. Look at the orientation of the "blades". If you turn it around, what happens to the orientation of the blades.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
i find it hard to believe that any fan intentionally blows towards the radiator. all cars are designed with the air flow thru the front towards the engine. this is NOT to cool the engine, but to draw the air thru to cool the radiator. even your dual fans are set up like that. (or should be)

blocking any air flow from the front of the car is a disaster waiting to happen, even with a dual fan set up. the cooler air source is found in front of the car...NOT from the engine compartment. someone at some time or another tried to get ingenious and attempt to do something different. the factory put the air damn (or scoop) under the front for a reason...not for looks.

fans are there to cool the radiator....your engine is liquid cooled...not an air cooled engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Reversed fans..wtf?

Jlreyna: Bro there are two kinds of fans...pullers..which the majority of us use..and pushers, which I have seen on a few applications. Puller fans are located on the rear of the radiator. Puller fans will use the force of the air pressure when driving in a forward direction, to assist in pulling air from the front and through the radiator. Thus cooling the the antifreeze in the radiator. If you have "puller" fans mounted backwards...then you are "pulling heat from the engine into the rear of the radiator thus cancelling out any cooling benefits from driving forward, as opposite air flows will cancel each other out..or at least lead to minimal cooling if that.

Pusher fans are located in the front of the radiator and assist by pushing the air through the front of the radiator to the rear. Maybe you have a pusher located on the rear of the radiator??

Well, if your fans are "blowing" towards the engine and they are mounted behind the radiator, you have pullers...which are pulling the air through the radiator thus causing a cooling effect for your engine and you would be feeling hot air "blowing" on your engine.

Agree with the earlier post...I would not block crap off in the front of the car...ram air is great for the carb. but isnt designed for cooling the radiator...leave all your air dams, foam pieces, ect. in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just making a point.
I think the original mechanical has the blades mounted backwards. The problem was corrected long ago with a flexlite fan. I removed the mechanical fan and fuel pump last year to add hp and get some gas mileage.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top