Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
As a lot of you may know, I have a '76 Daily Driver. About 2 months ago I had the VB&P 550lb front coils installed and a 420lb rear composite monoleaf. I kept the AC Delcos for a while and just put in Bilstein Sports today.

I just thought I would share my experiences with you guys for future reference and anyone looking at doing this suspension combination.

With AC Delcos:
-The switch in springs made a drastic difference in the overall performance.
-The feel of the suspension was much tighter and I felt the road more. It wasn't neccessarily more rough, just more of a feel.
-The rear end bounced a lot over bumps; it has been tolerable as long as I didn't go over bumps too fast.
-Nose dive in braking was reduced.

Bilstein Sports:
This made a huge difference.
-Body roll was even further reduced. Nose dive during braking pretty much eliminated.
-Ride does not seem rough to me, although I do live in Huntington Beach, CA and roads are fairly smooth.
-On bumps it isn't that rough, but bear in mind I am 19 years old and have new seats. They are much more 'full' of cushion opposed to kits from MA motorworks or other Corvette parts websites.
-Turning seems more responsive.
-These are definitely worth the money.

For anyone on the fence for the 550lb/420lb spring combo with Bilstein Sports, I say go for it. It is not as stiff as people make it out to be. They truly make the Vette handle like a real sports car.

Tire Reviews:
I've had some no name (Defender S/R or something) Brand 255/60/15s on the Vette for a while as well as BFG Radials of the same width and the Firestone Indy 500s. I just recently bought Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/Ts. They have a very unique tread pattern that is unlike any of the other tires I've had on the car previously. These tires seem to offer the best grip, especially during wet conditions. In slalom type driving, there is much better grip as well. Overall this is the best tire I've had on a 15" wheel and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Thanks for the testimony. I love hearing what works and what doesn't, and you'll be able to offer thoughts on this to people in the future looking to improve their handling with simple decisions.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
:agree: great feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad it is appreciated. I know that I was frustrated as hell before I bought the aforementioned combo. No one seemed to have any real feed back on it.
I will update this thread with other mods I may do if anyone is interested.. I think I will be getting larger sway bars. Car currently has stock front and no rear. I will first buy a rear one, post my thoughts and feedback then buy larger front if I feel it is neccessary.

QTP Electric Cutout Mini Review
I bought Quick Time Performance electric cutouts about 2 years ago, the 2.5" ones. I had them welded into the down pipe right beneath the manifolds. They held up well for about 1 year, with everyday use. However, they had a leaky sound. When the motors burnt out, the replacement motors that I had installed right after have been crappy as hell. They leak and do not close properly or all the way. QTP warranty is horrible, 30 days. I do not recommend these.
I will be ordering Doug's headers electric cutouts because of their design and warranty.

I do not know when I will be ordering these mods, but I do know that I will be ordering the new cutouts with headers. Still trying to decide which ones to get. I want to order some with 1 3/4" primaries because I plan on getting a 396" or 454" small block crate from Blueprint sometime in 2011 or may end up Vortech supercharging or Procharging.. still have time to save up so no rush in that department.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Awesome!

I've been scrambling to get up and over "The 550/420 fence", and based on your insight, I think it will be the perfect setup for my 6-link build, which almost finished (still have one more upper outer strut rod bracket to fab, but the design is complete), just need to order stut rods and springs.

Gonna try the KYBs I have now, but they probably won't be adequate, so the Bilsteins will probably be a future purchase! :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have always read that Bilstein Sport shocks work very well with monoleaf springs. I have them on my suspension and I don't get any bouncing. If you can afford Koni adjustables that would probably be the ultimate choice. Since it looks like you are fabbing your own suspension you may be charting your own course, so start with the shocks that you have and go from there.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 78 L-82 4 speed that came from the factory with the gymkhana suspension and the OEM 7 leaf sport spring. I have changed every part in the front end over the last 27 years that has transformed the car. The highlights are 550 springs, 1 inch lower than stock, the OEM 1 1/8 inch front bar with poly mounting and end link bushings for more immediate effect, poly upper and lower control arm bushings in the OEM control arms, Bilstein HD (not the sports) shocks with poly bushings, and just last week a blue printed rebuilt OEM steering box by GTR1999.

In the rear, a 360 composite spring with poly mounting cushings, a 3/4 inch OEM style rear sway bar with poly mounting bushings, competition heim joint adjustable strut bars, and Bilstein sport shocks (30% stiffer than the HD's).

Tires are 255/45/17 ZR's ultra high performance summer onlys in the front and 255/50/17 ZR's in the rear. Forget any 15 inch tire if you want maximum performance-the tires in our size, 255/60/15 are all pretty very mediocre-crap to be honest.

My car rides very well, not harsh or real hard, and is super responsive and handles like a modern sports car using the OEM suspension design and steering-It can be done! People who have driven my car and own C3's cannot believe the way it steers, handles and rides.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Awesome!

I've been scrambling to get up and over "The 550/420 fence", and based on your insight, I think it will be the perfect setup for my 6-link build, which almost finished (still have one more upper outer strut rod bracket to fab, but the design is complete), just need to order stut rods and springs.

Gonna try the KYBs I have now, but they probably won't be adequate, so the Bilsteins will probably be a future purchase! :)
I had the 550/420 with 1 1/8th front sway for many years. The thing lacking in this system is adjustability. I finally did what I should have years ago. QA-1 dual adjust front semi coil shocks with speed direct 600 pound springs.

Bilsteins are Okay, but you have to remove them to adjust them. Which sucks for $240 a pair. The QA-1 single adjust are beautiful for only about $40 more

1 - 10 of 10 Posts