Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so after LOTS of peer pressure on here :smack I finally got around to lowering my rearend.

When I first bought the car 6+ years ago, the front and rear suspension were shot. The front sat way too low, with the body almost on the tires, and the rear leaf spring was falling apart and jacking the car waaay up.

Heres how it looked:

:thud: I know, hideous right?

So, first I installed a new composite monospring from TWR which was the same spring rate as the Gymkhana suspension from the factory... I forget what the rate was, I want to say 440lbs but I really cant remember. Anyways, next I completely rebuilt the front suspension, including new coil springs.

Heres how she looked after that:

The problem I had run into was the 8" bolts for the rear composite spring were not long enough to lower the rear of the car to where it needed to be. As you can see in the picture above, there was still a HUGE gap.

Next, as recommended by fellow digital corvetters, when replacing my rear tires I opted for 275/60's over the original 255/60s to gain some more sidewall and fill in the gap a little.

Here it is with the tire change:

It certainly helped, and gave the car a beefier look lol, but there was still a decent size gap.

Finally, I came across a good solution. I knew I needed longer bolts, and a member on here recommended ordering some rear spring bolts for a C4 as they are the same bolt, but 10" in length rather than 8". So, I ordered a pair from Corvette Central with some new poly bushings. I finally got a chance to install them today, and after a lot of trial and error I got it to about where it should be!

And heres the bolt:

So, what do you guys think? Is the rear too low, or does it look good. I think its about right, but I keep thinking I good raise the rear just a tad. Ive repeatedly measured all 4 corners from the top of the tire to the body and there all right around 3", maybe a little less (2 3/4-3) in the rear, but I have to remember the rear also has bigger sidewalls.

Now the only other issue of ride height I need to address is the weight reduction in the front. When I had picked out my new coil springs years back, I got the stock rating. Unfortunately since then Ive done the motor and cut a bunch of weight, including aluminum heads, removing the SMOG crap, removing the AC, removing the heat etc... now the front is a little high :smack

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys! So the rear doesnt look too low?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
... Amazing what a few inches will do. :thumbsup:
heh, there's a "thats what she said" joke in there but i wont go there. :rolling:

that rear looks good though. where did you get the bolts? i'll most likely need to lower mine as well

edit: nvm, just saw you said corvette central. got a link by any chance?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Having the bolt below the wheel rim is a very bad idea in the event of a flat tire. Just my opinion of course, but I would ditch the TRW spring and put one of the VB&P springs in. I've been reading for years about people complaining about ride height issues with TRW springs.

This is the ride height you can get from the 360# rear spring with 8" bolts.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heh, there's a "thats what she said" joke in there but i wont go there. :rolling:

that rear looks good though. where did you get the bolts? i'll most likely need to lower mine as well

edit: nvm, just saw you said corvette central. got a link by any chance?
I do, but I dont think I should give it to you! Im STILL waiting for the information on your LED taillights that you promised me!!! What gives!? :spanked: :smack

Either way, heres the link...

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...~S3D412PRB617348216914a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050F

But seriously, whats the deal with the taillights?? :smack

·
Registered
972 Posts
rear height is just right. the front looks good but I would take it down maybe an inch

PS: adjust the headlight door(while the car's running) on the drivers side so it's flush. :D

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rear height is just right. the front looks good but I would take it down maybe an inch

PS: adjust the headlight door(while the car's running) on the drivers side so it's flush. :D
The only way to lower the front would be to get lighter springs though right? Ive heard cutting a coil out of the current springs is kind of a bubba way to do it?:huh:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
No, cutting coils is fine, it's how most achieve a custom height, but heating coils is another thing, that's Bubba, plus that will give you a very Crappy ride.

By cutting your coils you will still have the ride quality that you have now as long as you use a saw to cut the coils, portable band saw preferably, not a torch, a torch will change the spring rate tension.

Riggs

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Kevin, the car looks great! What are the half shafts doing, going up from the pumpkin or down? They should be about level with fuel and you in it. If that means the back has to go up a little, it wouldn't be bad to have a little rake to it. Helps keep the nose down at 100mph too. Glad the bolts worked out.

If you cut a coil out of a spring the spring gets stiffer. Cut them with a cut-off wheel to keep from heating them up. The portable band-saw is cool too. A torch ruins the temper and affects the spring rate.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, cutting coils is fine, it's how most achieve a custom height, but heating coils is another thing, that's Bubba, plus that will give you a very Crappy ride.

By cutting your coils you will still have the ride quality that you have now as long as you use a saw to cut the coils, portable band saw preferably, not a torch, a torch will change the spring rate tension.

Riggs
Good deal man, thanks for the advice. So what should I do, cut out one coil at a time? Seems like a lot of work though... remove, cut, reinstall, check height, remove, cut, reinstall, check height, remove..... haha. Is there a rule of thumb on how much to remove to get a certain drop? Of course I would assume it would depend on the spring rate.

Kevin, the car looks great! What are the half shafts doing, going up from the pumpkin or down? They should be about level with fuel and you in it. If that means the back has to go up a little, it wouldn't be bad to have a little rake to it. Helps keep the nose down at 100mph too. Glad the bolts worked out.

If you cut a coil out of a spring the spring gets stiffer. Cut them with a cut-off wheel to keep from heating them up. The portable band-saw is cool too. A torch ruins the temper and affects the spring rate.
Thanks Fred, and thanks for the recommendation on the bolts!!

Im not sure about the level of the half shafts, Ill have to check.

Of course, while I was working on the car today I decided to go through the rest of the rear suspension components. Well, turns out my driver's side wheel bearing is smoked :thud: Luckily, I just did one on a 78 at the Corvette shop I just started working at, so I know I can do it. Heres my issue, theres really no point in doing just that bearing because the trailing arms are both original and need to be completely rebuilt anyways. However, if Im going to rebuild the trailing arms, I might as well do the conversion to the Iron (pre-80) differential Ive been planning on doing..... so, looks like this winter may end up being a lot more money and work than I expected! :thud:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
80vettel82, I've not cut any of my coils yet, I will have to after the LS swap is done. It is my under standing that a 1/4 coil will drop the car a lot, I am told and have read of others cutting an inch at a time out of the coils and like you said, install, check, and then again if necessary. Check around in some of the old post or even do a search on the web for cutting coils for a guide line. There was a lot of info on CF about it the last time I was looking to do it. Maybe some one else will chime in with the info on how much each cut will drop the car. From memory I think it's like for every inch of coil you cut out it droped the car by like a 1/2'' But I would confirm that before you go by what I have said.

Riggs.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha something like that! I just need to figure out which path I want to take. I figure, I might as well do it once and do it right. Im trying to find a pre-80 donor car right now that I can get a pumpkin, differential crossmember, and halfshafts out off. Then Ill have Gary rebuild the rearend and Ill rebuild my own trailing arms and do everything else. Actually the shop I work at has all sort of rolling chassis kicking around lol, I might talk to my boss about buying some of the parts!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
80vettel82, I've not cut any of my coils yet, I will have to after the LS swap is done. It is my under standing that a 1/4 coil will drop the car a lot, I am told and have read of others cutting an inch at a time out of the coils and like you said, install, check, and then again if necessary. Check around in some of the old post or even do a search on the web for cutting coils for a guide line. There was a lot of info on CF about it the last time I was looking to do it. Maybe some one else will chime in with the info on how much each cut will drop the car. From memory I think it's like for every inch of coil you cut out it droped the car by like a 1/2'' But I would confirm that before you go by what I have said.

Riggs.

I had the 460 lbs/inch springs and they were supposed to drop the front by 1" over the soft 330 lb/inch springs. They didn't, so I cut out a half coil out of them, which dropped mine 3/8". My car is still a little high in the front, but it's a lot of work to keep messing with this.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
But seriously, whats the deal with the taillights?? :smack
i've been busy with work, i havent even touched my vette in the past couple months, work and lack of motivation :(

alot of travel in my new position :( but soon i will be back :)

what did you want to know about my LEDs? theyre nothing glamorous, i basically cut the face off the originals and glued it to a set of LED taillights ;) lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts