Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...

First things first, I have a 2002 Z06, love the car but Ive been having some issues with the headlights for the last 2 years! The right front headlight wont always pop up. I ordered the headlight gear and changed that, fixed it for a little while but its started to stay stuck down again!!! Its getting extremely frustrating and I dont really know where to go from here? I wasnt sure if maybe I had the levers switched the wrong way when I installed it back? Either way, if anyone has an idea then please let me know!

Second, I just had someone offer me some aftermarket ZR1 rims off of a C6. They have a shinny black finish with chrome centres. 18's for the front and 19's for the rear. I was wondering if anyone has put these on their c5's and if they rub ? Will I need spacers and if anyone has some pictures of their C5 with these rims I'd like to get an idea of what its going to look like before I fork over 500$.

Thanx guys and gals! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
816 Posts
C6s and C5s have different backspacing for their wheels but clearance for the brake calipers may be big issue.

ZR1 wheels do come in C5 and C5Z wheel sizes from many vendors

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Step one in trouble-shooting C5 Corvette issues. Pull the code. Replacing stuff without properly trouble-shooting i just pissing money into the wind.

So have you pulled your codes? :huh:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to losen the knob that manually lifts the lights up a few turns for the lights to come up using the headlight switch. Once that knob is losened they pop right up. Kind of embarrasing when your on a date and you need to pop the hood to get your headlights to work.
I havnt pulled codes since the summer, but I don't remember them having anything to do with the headlights or even electrical for that matter. I don't have a battery in it or access to it right now to pull the codes but I'll get on it in the next few weeks.
As for the wheels, junkman... You think those aftermarket zr1 wheels for a C6 will fit on my C5 without any issues? Will i need to do anything for them to fit?

Thanx guys !:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I see guys put C6 wheels on their C5's all the time. I know two personally who I will see tonight and they didn't do anything but slap them on. We have driven all over the place for the last two years with that setup and they have had no issues.

Now keep in mind, these were STOCK C6 wheels, NOT aftermarket. Are the ones you're talking about stock C6 wheels or some type of knock-off?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely knock offs, they have made in china stamped on the back! So I guess I won't know untill I try them? I just don't wanna get stuck with them if they don't fit. If you know of anyone with them installed of their C5, I'd like to see how they look. Ur the man, junk !:thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plus they don't have rubber so I don't wanna invest that if they won't work!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The red C6 in this photo has newer, stock C6 wheels on it.

Here's a shot of that same C5 with a different set of C6 wheels at the same track a year earlier. He likes the bigger size.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have to losen the knob that manually lifts the lights up a few turns for the lights to come up using the headlight switch. Once that knob is losened they pop right up. Kind of embarrasing when your on a date and you need to pop the hood to get your headlights to work.
Thanx guys !:thumbsup:
I had the same issue with one headlight after installing a hardened aluminum gear. This particular gear didn't have the rubber insert. I put the nylon gear back in with the rubber insert and also turned the stop bumpers over. They were pretty worn and you can just slip them off and turn them over.
I also tightened up the tabs holding the motor to the gear case.
Since these three changes that headlight has popped up and down reliably. I can't say which one was the real problem, but I didn't want to try one at a time. Easier to do all three while I had the headlight assembly out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats ironic that you delt with the same issue, must be an electric blue thing? I'll have to check out junkmans write up on that head light gear and see if I can make those changes! Its kinda bad to say but the C6 was starting to grow on me, atleast I wouldn't have an issue getting the headlight to pop up! Im not really sure I know what rubber insert your talking about but if I see some pictures then it might refresh my memory! Junkman, whats your headlight gear DIY link ?

Junkman, thanx for the pic's! I like the look and I know I'll be the only one around with them! It'll look sharp Im sure! The worst thing would be to be stuck with them for a while but I could always sell'em online !

Thanx guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Second, I just had someone offer me some aftermarket ZR1 rims off of a C6. They have a shinny black finish with chrome centres. 18's for the front and 19's for the rear. I was wondering if anyone has put these on their c5's and if they rub ? Will I need spacers and if anyone has some pictures of their C5 with these rims I'd like to get an idea of what its going to look like before I fork over 500$.

Thanx guys and gals! :thumbsup:
You might want to read these:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-general/2784385-do-you-have-oem-c6-or-c6-z06-wheels-on-your-c5.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/2543998-will-oem-c6-wheels-fit-a-c5.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just checked out those links you sent, they all have a mixed feelings and comments!

one guy has those hyper spider wheels and posted this... i have aftermarket C6 black spyder wheels on mine with c5 spacing in 18/19 combo fits perfect and i love em.

What is C5 spacers? I dont mind buying the spacers but if the rims are gunna stick way out past the fenders like an off road vehicle then I dont know how cool that'll look ? **** it... if I hear back from this guy this week Im gunna just buy'em and take the chance !

That head light gear fix, Junkman... do you think its wise to change the gear back to the original plastic piece with a rubber insert? I think what the problem might be is that the steal gear that I got with the kit is too strong and is jamming on the teeth of the motors gear and thats why you manually need to losen it. That motor isnt strong enough to do it ! But Im not certain !:huh:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
If your going to spend some money on wheels, maybe try something other than stock corvette wheels of any generation, vette wheels are so boring, never saw a set of stock vette wheels i liked yet...no offense to anyone, just saying.... a nice set of deep dish wheels will really set your car apart from the tons of c5s with c6 wheels. I have 19" deep dish maya's, and used 19"s all 4 corners, drop the car accordingly. But hey, its your car thats just my opionion.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
That head light gear fix, Junkman... do you think its wise to change the gear back to the original plastic piece with a rubber insert? I think what the problem might be is that the steal gear that I got with the kit is too strong and is jamming on the teeth of the motors gear and thats why you manually need to losen it. That motor isnt strong enough to do it ! But Im not certain !:huh:
The gear has nothing to do with your problem IMHO. Do you have all the rubber vanilla end pieces that go to your headlight? Also, did you check the tabs on the motor that I talked about in my write-up?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember putting the white tabs back on the levers, and now that you mention those 4 tabs on the motor housing, I do remember seeing them not being very tight. The housing did move a bit when the headlights would move up or down.

My car is buried behind 4 or 5 other cars in my buddies garage so I wont be able to get at it for a couple weeks atleast.

Junkman, do you have HID's in your vette? I was thinking about installing a decent HID kit if you know of one? And a power antenna, Im not a big fan of that stock RC car looking one! Lastly I'd like to change out my brake rotors and maybe pads this year? They are original pads and rotors and I dont think the break fluid's been changed since it was new? I only have 50,000kms on the car... Its babied ! You think its worth spending the money or not needed? Fluid was getting a bit dark.:huh:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If your going to spend some money on wheels, maybe try something other than stock corvette wheels of any generation, vette wheels are so boring, never saw a set of stock vette wheels i liked yet...no offense to anyone, just saying.... a nice set of deep dish wheels will really set your car apart from the tons of c5s with c6 wheels. I have 19" deep dish maya's, and used 19"s all 4 corners, drop the car accordingly. But hey, its your car thats just my opionion.
Easier said then done, I'd rather spend 500$ on these rims and 700$ for tires, not 2500$ on rims and 1000$ on run flats. I make good money but not enough to be dropping big $ on wheels!:nuts:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Junkman, do you have HID's in your vette? I was thinking about installing a decent HID kit if you know of one? And a power antenna, Im not a big fan of that stock RC car looking one! Lastly I'd like to change out my brake rotors and maybe pads this year? They are original pads and rotors and I dont think the break fluid's been changed since it was new? I only have 50,000kms on the car... Its babied ! You think its worth spending the money or not needed? Fluid was getting a bit dark.:huh:
I use to have bulb type HID's. I changed them for light cannons. I love the look of the light cannons and they are DOT approved because the housings are also HID housings. The stock headlight housings are not HID housings, however, the fog light housings are. I did a thread on that too.

My headlights as they are right now:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use to have bulb type HID's. I changed them for light cannons. I love the look of the light cannons and they are DOT approved because the housings are also HID housings. The stock headlight housings are not HID housings, however, the fog light housings are. I did a thread on that too.

My headlights as they are right now:

Ohhhh Man..... I want those ! Where can I get a set and how much?:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts