Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm rebuilding my first differential and was hoping some of you with more experience could take a look at my patterns for me. Backlash is coming in at .007

coast side

drive side

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I'm no expert, but based on my experience with wear patterns on gear flanks, that shows decently distributed contact. I assume your measurement of .007" is the deflection at the center of the tooth flank on the ring? In which case, I would say that's very respectable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no expert, but based on my experience with wear patterns on gear flanks, that shows decently distributed contact. I assume your measurement of .007" is the deflection at the center of the tooth flank on the ring? In which case, I would say that's very respectable.
I measured mine like this. At the center of the tooth on the heel. I'm not sure if it matters but these are used gears.
How to measure backlash with a dial indicator? - Third Generation ...
(Disclaimer: This is not my photo just a sample found online.)

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
That's even better then since the deflection is being measured further out on the radius, the angular backlash is smaller.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
ok, keep your present pinion shim, set the lash to 6-8 and apply load when patterning them. Did they make any noise before you took it apart or did you buy used gears? Keep the paste like mayonnaise you can thin it with gear oil and mix it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, keep your present pinion shim, set the lash to 6-8 and apply load when patterning them. Did they make any noise before you took it apart or did you buy used gears? Keep the paste like mayonnaise you can thin it with gear oil and mix it.
I bought a whole diff from a man i know who parts out c3 and c4's so I'm not sure about any noises. My case was really worn on the driver side where the axle stub goes in.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
ok so you are running blind with unknown gears. That might be interesting, since you won't get a text book pattern most likley. Go by the coast side of the gear and use that as your guide. The drive side may be worn and not produce a pattern that appears good. If you are installing in a different housing then the pinion shim may be off and require reshimming. It will be a learning experience for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts