Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the top ring or whatever need special adjsutment etc when installing new
hypertutonic pistons, someone mentioned it does. any input welcome.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Yes, hypers need a wider top ring gap, refer to piston manuf. for specifications

·
Banned
125 Posts
Here is some discussion from the other side about hyper pistons that you might find interesting.Seems like some guys are not very trusting of the hypers and if I was building an engine I would be doing some research before using them.Sounds like the guy in thread went with forged Wiesco's-probably more money.Maybe TT can give some info on them.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1722167

·
Supporting Vendor
3,772 Posts
You have to go by the mfg instructions as to gap, which side is up, bore diameter,etc. Also the bores should be finished for the ring type used to seat them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is some discussion from the other side about hyper pistons that you might find interesting.Seems like some guys are not very trusting of the hypers and if I was building an engine I would be doing some research before using them.Sounds like the guy in thread went with forged Wiesco's-probably more money.Maybe TT can give some info on them.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1722167
seems to me that this guy was runing better then 10.5 comp//poor gas/too tight ring gap..im stuck with the pistons now so ill just go ahead and make the top ring a litle on the loose side..ive also had the bore done a bye a very good engineer ,and all the bores where checked at exactly 2th...the recomended max for these pistons..im also in the uk..i can get 99 octane gas here..;)

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
unfortunately your gas is rated in Research Octane Number (RON) and US has is rated in Pump Octane Number (PON) which is (RON+MON)/2 where MON is Motor Octane Number. The MON number is ALWAYS several points higher than RON, this means that our 98 or 99 RON is about the same as 93 or so PON :down: They have most poeple here thinking we have the good stuff but what it boils down oto is, we're paying through the nose for overtaxed crap! You can run 110 octane race fuel all day for what our 95 regular costs, it's @ about 7,25$ a gallon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts