Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good article. This internet only deal is such a huge, gigantic blunder by ALMS, i will be surprised if they last more than 3-4 years longer if they don't change this. The big point here is viewership. It takes lots of money to race and sponsors fill that role. If you cut viewership, sponsors either spend a lot less money, or worse, go away altogether.

I was happy with the broadcast but i'm really curious how many people really logged into espn3.com to watch it. Besides, i'd rather see it on my tv. And not a 1 hour 30 minute segment that didn't even air in my area because it got over run by tennis. :WTF

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good article. This internet only deal is such a huge, gigantic blunder by ALMS, i will be surprised if they last more than 3-4 years longer if they don't change this. The big point here is viewership. It takes lots of money to race and sponsors fill that role. If you cut viewership, sponsors either spend a lot less money, or worse, go away altogether.

I was happy with the broadcast but i'm really curious how many people really logged into espn3.com to watch it. Besides, i'd rather see it on my tv. And not a 1 hour 30 minute segment that didn't even air in my area because it got over run by tennis. :WTF
If you believe what ALMS says, then the viewership was 3 time higher than last years ratings. There are two possibilities to that, and they are, people around the world had access to the ALMS site to view the race, it was only the 50 states that could not watch it on the ALMS site. So in the US it was ESPN3.com or nothing. The other way was that most if not all web sites have counters to see how many hits the site gets. Well if viewers were log in on and off a few times (I did) each hit counts. I do know that a lot of people complained that they would get kicked off and would need to reconnect to both the ESPN3 site and the ALMS site, so that would inflate the numbers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah, much as I love sports car racing it looks like it will only be the 24 Hr of Lemans for me this year. That and F1 which has good coverage on speed and GA gets decent coverage even if the racing is entirely contrived. Tube cars vs factory framed cars and that's equal??!
In trying to check the ALMS website for the replay broadcast you can't help but be plastered with results from the actual race! Ok so i'm enough of a fan that i'd probably still watch but then when you get the race it is a 3" screen. Going to full screen view just makes the resolution horrible. So right now, I'm re-watching the Australian GP and hoping that V8 supercars on Sunday is decent. ALMS has lost this viewer.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts