Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here I set with my Bondurant GPR4 completion certificate in hand, I plan on being in the Kansas City Area from April to October, and the Phoenix Area from November to March.

The question is Which group to join SCCA or NASA???

For now I will be driving a highly modified C3(500 HP), Later I would like to switch to Formula Mazda.

So what are the pros and cons of each group???

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
I think NASA would be the way to go. There might be more classes to race in. They go by horsepower to weight ratio. Either group is good, becuse you're racing!!! I think you will have more fun with NASA.

Jr.

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
Here's another thought. Do both. In my case I would go ST2 in NASA and ITE or STO in SCCA. There's a class for you in both.

Jr.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
you know I'm no expert on this stuff Ivan, but from talking to Mike McGinley about the SCCA rules for his class it seems incredibly restrictive. I downloaded some of the NASA rules and it's much more open to modifications. Just start with a base class for the make & model of your car and add or deduct points for weight reduction, engine mods, suspension mods, etc and you end up with your final class.

One thing I'm not sure of is if there's much NASA activity around our area. Seems like most of what I hear about are SCCA events. This might be a good topic to pick Mike's brain on

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
from a corvette to a mazda....how the mighty have fallen....:nuts:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
you know I'm no expert on this stuff Ivan, but from talking to Mike McGinley about the SCCA rules for his class it seems incredibly restrictive. I downloaded some of the NASA rules and it's much more open to modifications. Just start with a base class for the make & model of your car and add or deduct points for weight reduction, engine mods, suspension mods, etc and you end up with your final class.

One thing I'm not sure of is if there's much NASA activity around our area. Seems like most of what I hear about are SCCA events. This might be a good topic to pick Mike's brain on
Doesn't he race T1? That's a great class. It is strict on the rules to keep it close to stock. The main mods are safety upgrades. There are rule creep in this class and it does suck to be limited to mods. It's a very fast group of cars and drivers. There are other option like STO or a regional class called ITE. You can race what you brought type class.

More Mazdas are raced per weekend than any other brand out there. Dempsey racing had a third place finish in the 24 Hour Rolex. It was in a RX8. Very good road racing car. It doesn't matter what kind of car it is, as long as it's a race car.:thumbsup:

Jr.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have both! C5 is my street car and i have an SCCA ITS prepped 1988 Mazda RX7. And besides, he's talking about a Formula Mazda car which is small Indy-looking car with a rotary engine. Those things are wicked cool.

Doesn't he race T1? That's a great class. It is strict on the rules to keep it close to stock. The main mods are safety upgrades. There are rule creep in this class and it does suck to be limited to mods. It's a very fast group of cars and drivers. There are other option like STO or a regional class called ITE. You can race what you brought type class.

Jr.
I haven't heard of ITE. Is that a local regional class near you? Each region is free to make up their own classes. That could explain why it isn't in the GCR book. STO would be good, but then you get into lots of mods that will take most budget racers out of contention. For a Corvette driver, i'm with you, T1 is a great class. It's probably the cheapest and easiest option and provides good racing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts