Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:down: I just purchased another Corvette a 2004 Convertible.I have noticed a lot of road noise. I noticed ecklers sells a noise eliminator that fits behind the front seat. Has anyone used anything like this???? I didnt know if its a piece of crap or does it really work or does anyone have any suggestions on how to eliminate some of the noise.:thud:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Do you have run flats on the car?
The tires will make a difference.

Consider installing dynomat or similar sound deading material.

I did the cheap route and used Frost King and Reflectix, which cut down on the heat in the aft compartments and around the center console.

There is a pre-cut insulation kit that I have heard very good things about. It is available from a vendor on Corvette Forum. I think his name is "crazyC5cowboy" or somthing similar. He is in Florida.

Here is some info on the install I did of the Frost King and Reflectix.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
FORWARD SECTION.

Stickman81 said:
Since I had the drivers side seat out to replace the foam, I decided to go ahead and try the Frost King insulation and Reflectix insulation installation.

I went to Lowes and picked up three rolls of the Frost King Duct Insulation and one roll of the Reflectix insulation for the tunnel.

The Lowes Frost King SKU number is: 28929. It seems to be hard to come by. Between two stores, I only found three rolls. The Reflectix was readily available.

I used "Mike Mercury's" instructions as a guide.
Click Here for Mike's Website.

I was only able to accomplish the front part of the cabin today including the aft wall in front of the fuel tanks.

It took me about six hours with breaks to install the insulation and I had already pulled both seats, carpet and trim pieces last night in preparation for the job.

I have not had a chance to drive it to see if it makes any difference. I am thinking the greatest difference will be the reduction of heat coming from the tunnel. The next difference should come after I put the insulation in the cargo area which I hope to do in a couple of days.

The carpet and trim pieces all went back together well. There were a couple of areas that were snug, but I was expecting that. I was however suprised to find everything went back together as easily as it did.

First I installed the Reflectix on the tunnel on the left, right then top sides.

I then installed the Frost King insulation on the back wall, going over the "hump" into the cargo area. I then finished up by installing the Frost King on the floor. I was careful not to put the insulation around the seat attachment points.

All in all it went well with one minor injury.

I used two rolls of the Frost King and about half of the roll of the Reflectix. Each roll was about $15.00. I used almost a whole roll of metal duct tape. (The kind with the paper backing that has to be peeled off.)

Click the pics for the Bigger ones.

Reflectix on the left and Frost King on the right.

Reflectix done around the tunnel area.
Frost King on the floor and the back wall.

Injury photo -
WARNING - THIS PICTURE CONTAINS BLOOD.
WORST OF ALL, IT'S MY BLOOD.

Click on this if you Really want to see blood.:willy:

:rofl: :rofl:

Frost King installed on the drivers side.

My vote for best tools of the day.

Interior going back together. All is done now, but I think everyone knows what seats look like.

AFT SECTION.

I had the chance today to finish installing the Reflectix and Frost King in the aft cargo area of the car.

Tools needed -
1) 10 mm socket, ratchet and extension.
....For the targa top brackets that attach to the floor.
2) 9/32 socket and ratchet.
....For the CD changer.
3) Flat blade screw driver.
....For the targa top bracket trim rings.
4) Razor Knife and scissors.
....For cutting / trimming the insulation and tape.

I used "Mike Mercury's" website as a guide for removal of the aft carpeting. Click Here.

Job Time: Approximately three hours.
Complexity: Easy (One Wrench) :rofl:

My (not so scientific) Findings.
I have completed both the cabin and the cargo compartments. I now notice a good reduction in road noise. I also noticed some reduction in drone from the Borla exhaust.

With the Reflectix, I notice that while the center console still gets warm, it is no where near as hot inside. I drove the car on the interstate today and noted an outside air temperature of 100 degrees at one point. I opened the console and felt some of the items inside. They were warm, but again, not as hot as I have noticed them to be before. I also noted that the lower compartments in the back were cooler too.

Click for the Bigger Pics.

Here the carpeting has been removed.

Use something to protect the car.

I cleaned the flooring using IPA.

Here I have installed "Reflectix" in the lower cargo compartments to help cut down on the heat inside.

Frost King laid down on the horizontal and vertical surfaces. I ran out and could not cover the last bit of about two square feet total. Will I notice a difference? Probably not.

Best tools of the day.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks You so much it was very helpful and thanks for the pictures they are a great help since I am a visual person it helps out a lot. I will do the rear cabin this weekend and let you know how it works. Again great job and Thanks:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
that seems like a lot of work how loud is the noise i agree turn the radio on louder:laughing:

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Google "Andy's Partitions", they work and look great.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks You so much it was very helpful and thanks for the pictures they are a great help since I am a visual person it helps out a lot. I will do the rear cabin this weekend and let you know how it works. Again great job and Thanks:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You are welcome.

As someone stated, it is a lot of work. However it is an easy task that I enjoyed doing. The worst part about the cargo section was climbing in and out.

I noticed a difference in noise. How much I don't really know as I did not take any sound measurements. The BIG difference is in the heat transfer especially around the center console. I can actually touch something in the center console now while or just after driving the car. :laughing:

The relectix really helped the aft cargo area too.

Again, I took the cheap route. I am sure there are better alternatives in sound deading material however it is / was a big debate on CF.

Here is the link to the precut insulation kit I mentioned earlier.
Exotic Vettes: http://www.exoticvette.com/insulation c5.htm

They also carry a nice partition which was mentioned earlier in the thread.
http://www.exoticvette.com/partition.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't know if you have the stock GoodYear run flats on it but they are noisy by nature compared to some other brands...they get louder as they get balder. I also have an '04 Rag top, switched my Goodyear RF to Kuhmo Run Flats..alot less cabin noise. They handle IMHO as good as the Good years, but then again I'm not on the track. And Oh one more thing...almost half the price of the Good Years.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
noise

Thanks for the info about the tires I will remember that when its time to buy some. You are only about 20 miles from me where did you buy yours. I have noticed the more i drive the car I agree that some of it is in the tires. I am going to try the insulation route in the back may be that will reduce some of it also. Thanks Again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info about the tires I will remember that when its time to buy some. You are only about 20 miles from me where did you buy yours. I have noticed the more i drive the car I agree that some of it is in the tires. I am going to try the insulation route in the back may be that will reduce some of it also. Thanks Again

I posted a reply yesterday and for some reason it didn't post anyway here it is again...I purchased the tires on-line through Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com).
I had them delivered directly to one of their approved installers in my case Performance Wheel and Tire in Orange City. They called me when they arrived, I set up an appointment, and had them installed. No fuss, No muss.
I can't say enough about Performance Tire and Wheel...that's all they do and they do it exceptionally well. Would not hesitate to refer anyone to them. If and when you decide to purchase tires and if you find there is no one around you that you can trust...it would be worth the ride up to use them. State of the Art facility...Hercules equipment. Price wise their installation charges might be a little bit more then the local chains but definitley worth it. Just my .02.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My friend has on on his SLK and he doesnt really like it very much, it came with it when he bought the car, he says it doesnt work all that well and personally i think it is pretty ugly. I would do what other people have said, get louder exhaust and that is what I am doing this weekend:thumbsup:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I bought the kit and partition someone mentioned for my vert.
The partition is the only mod that I regret buying. Came with a small tear, and it is peeling slightly at one of the edges. I should have sent it back, but it would be a pain to ship it back and the vendor offered me nothing for the problems.
The "kit" was not nearly as comprehensive as I had expected, was missing one small piece, and was poorly labeled. I spent an awful lot of time filling in small pieces that were not covered. The removal of everything is not quite as bad as you may think, but if I was going through all that trouble, I was going to cover everything.
I did like the difference in the heat in the cabin.
The noise helped, but the majority of my driving is topless.
Tires will help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts