Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hood of my GS is more and more looking like it's been sand-blasted.

Chicagoland is full of rocks from all of the construction...

I was wondering if anyone had their chips airbrushed by a professional?

I've heard that they strip off the wax, airbrush the chips, then buff the hood to a shine.

Anyone do this?

B

·
0 Posts
No but I have heard nothing but good things about a place in my hood called Carnica. I actually need to get the front nose of my wife's SE-R touched up because a buddy backed into it and rubbed the paint off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have used a place called ChipsAway on my wifes van and the Saturn and they came out great! Course I may be biased as it is my business!:D I do the same thing. Remove any waxes or polishes like zaino, custom mix each paint to match, and air brush a light layer till it fills up the chip. Then before the chip is full, a clear coat layer gets sprayed on as well. Then any over spray is removed with a special chemical that only takes it away from outside of the chip and leaves it inside. A special polish is then buffed on and you would then need to refrain from washing it for a few days to allow it to fully cure. I know it sounds like it should not work, but it really does. It will virtually eliminate all but the very largest of the chips you have. Even those, it will make look a lot better. It will not look like a brand new paint job mind you, but you would be very happy with the results especially considering the price is far less than a paint job. As far as bumper scuffs of key scratches, I do those as well. Its really not that hard to do as long as you have the right tools like any job. If the damage is too large on the bumpers, say more than half the bumper, you would be better off going to someone else as the system that ChipsAway has is made for smaller repairs. Same thing with scratches. If you have a front to back scratch, then go to a body shop. If it is just a moron in a parking lot that rubbed against your car and gave you a 6 incher, I can do that! I just wish that they gave us larger spray guns, but it has something to do with OSHA , and EPA and being able to spray outdoors without a booth. They also taught me some great secrets to being able to spray without a booth and not worry too much about dust and dirt! :stick: :thumbsup: Dont have a web site myself, but here is the main companies info http://www.chipsaway.com/

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, Jim!

when I have a moment of peace, I'll talk to you about this. I definitely want to get this done.

Patrick

B

·
0 Posts
Hell yeah Jimmy, would you be able to fix my wifes SE-R? Its a very small rub mark about an inch and a half long but all the paint is gone and its down to the black plastic bumper cover. She also has two spots on the lower nose that she hit a parking block...also very small in size but since the car is silver you can see them pretty good.

How much would this cost ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Will, If it is as small as it sounds, and you don't need any filler to get the bumper back up to level, then it should not be that much at all. If the other 2 spots are near each other so there are only 2 prep areas, I would guess around 150, could be more, could be less but with out seeing them its hard to say. Any chance of taking a good close up? I could always stop by and take a look at them for you and give you a quote too.

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah I will take some pics for you when I remember and the wife is home. I want to get it repaired when she is gone to L.A. during the second week of August. Thats when I will have full access to her car without a hastle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts