Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WASHINGTON -- Moments after preaching extreme self-reliance to one of his constituents, a Georgia Republican told a gathering in his district that he will continue to rely on government-subsidized health care "because it's free."

Freshman Rep. Rob Woodall, who served as chief of staff to his predecessor, made national news earlier this week for comments he made, captured on video by Patch.com, to a retired constituent who told him her company does not provide retiree benefits.

"Hear yourself, ma'am. Hear yourself," Woodall told the woman. "You want the government to take care of you, because your employer decided not to take care of you. My question is, 'When do I decide I'm going to take care of me?'"

The exchange continued. In video provided to HuffPost by another constituent, Woodall was asked why -- if he believes in such self reliance -- he doesn't forgo his government health care plan.

"I have a question about taking care of you. You have government subsidized health care, but you are not obligated to take that if you don't want to. Why aren't you going out on the fee market in the state where you're a resident and buy your own health care? Be an example," said a constituent in the new video.

"Your question is," Woodall responded, "my government's willing to give me lots and lots of stuff for free and why don't I take it?"

The woman followed up. "Why aren't you leading by example, and go and get it in a single-subscriber plan, like you want everybody else to have, because you want to end employer-sponsored health plans and government-sponsored health plans. You said so in a letter to me, that your goal is to get rid of the employer-sponsored health care [system]. So why aren't you leading by example and go out yourself, decline the government health plan and go to Blue Cross/Blue Shield or whoever, and get one for yourself and see how tough it is," she said. "You don't have any pre-existing conditions, I guess, you haven't had any life-threatening illnesses like I had last year."

This is the problem with the GOP and it's pretense of conservative ideals. They want you to pay your own way and foot the bill for them as well.

Vote out all the incumbent 'pubs and dems and let's start fresh.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
This is the problem with the GOP and it's pretense of conservative ideals. They want you to pay your own way and foot the bill for them as well.

Vote out all the incumbent 'pubs and dems and let's start fresh.
Yeah, those Dems are SO much more honest and up front in their politics. :laughing: If every time a Pub tries to chip away at our spending - which cannot be sustained - he is accused of beating up on the elderly and poor, you can bet nothing will ever change. You damn sure won't hear the Dems proposing any solution to our spending problem, because they aren't willing to take the heat. We can not tax our way out of this problem. It must be dealt with from the spending side. Poke fun at these guys, and you will ensure that fewer and fewer will even try. When the country has financial implosion in just a few years, maybe you will look back and say "hmmmm, maybe we SHOULD have cut some of those entitlements".

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, those Dems are SO much more honest and up front in their politics. :laughing: If every time a Pub tries to chip away at our spending - which cannot be sustained - he is accused of beating up on the elderly and poor, you can bet nothing will ever change. You damn sure won't hear the Dems proposing any solution to our spending problem, because they aren't willing to take the heat. We can not tax our way out of this problem. It must be dealt with from the spending side. Poke fun at these guys, and you will ensure that fewer and fewer will even try. When the country has financial implosion in just a few years, maybe you will look back and say "hmmmm, maybe we SHOULD have cut some of those entitlements".
Take your Blinders off Tex. You sound like a kid in a school yard Yelling "but they did it first".

As the saying goes you are either part of the solution or part of the problem. As I stated we need to send a message to all politicians both Dems and 'Pubs that the current situation is unacceptable.

As I previously stated the only difference I see between the current crop of 'pubs and Dems is what they want to spend our money on. What this country needs is true conservative ideals put in to practice not just lip service. Wearing a GOP lapel pin doesn't make anyone a conservative.

As far a proposing solutions to our economic problem. When is the GOP going to step up and address the real issues that would make significant changes like Tax reform and real reduction in the size of the Federal Government. 'Pubs have increased the number of agencies and Federal employees more than the Dems. But, let's ignore the big issues and focus on a by product of the over-inflated Federal Government, the Dems social program spending.

Get off your high horse and get on board with really addressing the economic crisis in the country. We need Tax reform, reduction in the size of the Federal Government, reduction of federal subsidies to the States and a return to minimal Federal involvement in our day to day lives.

If you don't want to pony up and address the GOP issues as well as the Dems issues, you are just part of the problem and not contributing to the solution.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Take your Blinders off Tex. You sound like a kid in a school yard Yelling "but they did it first".

As the saying goes you are either part of the solution or part of the problem. As I stated we need to send a message to all politicians both Dems and 'Pubs that the current situation is unacceptable.

As I previously stated the only difference I see between the current crop of 'pubs and Dems is what they want to spend our money on. What this country needs is true conservative ideals put in to practice not just lip service. Wearing a GOP lapel pin doesn't make anyone a conservative.

As far a proposing solutions to our economic problem. When is the GOP going to step up and address the real issues that would make significant changes like Tax reform and real reduction in the size of the Federal Government. 'Pubs have increased the number of agencies and Federal employees more than the Dems. But, let's ignore the big issues and focus on a by product of the over-inflated Federal Government, the Dems social program spending.

Get off your high horse and get on board with really addressing the economic crisis in the country. We need Tax reform, reduction in the size of the Federal Government, reduction of federal subsidies to the States and a return to minimal Federal involvement in our day to day lives.

If you don't want to pony up and address the GOP issues as well as the Dems issues, you are just part of the problem and not contributing to the solution.
Whoa! You misundertood me, Midnight. Your first sentence pointed exclusively at the GOP, and I was just pointing out that both parties are guilty. I'm on board with you on all of those things that are needed. But I am an extreme pessimist that any of them will happen in our lifetime. Congress does not make a habit of giving up power, and all of those changes diminish their power to do social engineering. Reduce the size of Government? I'm all for it, but all I can say is "Good Luck!".

·
Banned
9,760 Posts

:agree::agree::agree: Completely :agree: Unfortunatly the pubs think that just getting a pub solves the problem but it never has...just the opposite, lately the pubs just spend more in the places they like.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa! You misundertood me, Midnight. Your first sentence pointed exclusively at the GOP, and I was just pointing out that both parties are guilty. I'm on board with you on all of those things that are needed. But I am an extreme pessimist that any of them will happen in our lifetime. Congress does not make a habit of giving up power, and all of those changes diminish their power to do social engineering. Reduce the size of Government? I'm all for it, but all I can say is "Good Luck!".
The point was this politician was giving lip service to conservative ideals as long as it didn't impact him. I not asking them to give up power. I am advocating taking it from them with the vote. Time for action before it is too late.

The Social Programs and entitlements are just a byproduct of the way the Federal Government is operating. Fix the Federal Government and the Social Programs will not be an issue. Otherwise, it is what we have now no matter which party wins the elections.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
The point was this politician was giving lip service to conservative ideals as long as it didn't impact him. I not asking them to give up power. I am advocating taking it from them with the vote. Time for action before it is too late.

The Social Programs and entitlements are just a byproduct of the way the Federal Government is operating. Fix the Federal Government and the Social Programs will not be an issue. Otherwise, it is what we have now no matter which party wins the elections.
I would agree with the part about voting away their power. But we have been voting out congressmen for years. Even though every newbie says he will be an agent of change, they apparently get threatened or brainwashed or something on their first day and all of that "Change" stuff goes out the window. Unless you could vote out more than half of congress in one fell swoop, I don't think the polls are going to give the people enough power to get the changes needed.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Best ways to eliminate fraud are to eliminate the program or make it free for everyone. Selective qualification is abuse by default.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Best ways to eliminate fraud are to eliminate the program or make it free for everyone. Selective qualification is abuse by default.

No service provided by government is free - they may not charge anywhere near what the actual costs are (or may not charge anything at all), but SOMEONE, somewhere, pays.

With respect to selective qualification, every program has to have some provision for discriminating between those that qualify for a program - and those that don't.

What about Veteran's Benefits? Not everyone qualifies - only veterans (and even then, not all veteran benefits are equally distributed among all veterans). Your statement makes it sound like you wish to abolish any kind of program like that.

While I agree in principle that lots of programs should be eliminated (to your point), it seems unlikely that we can do that anytime soon!

Steven

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
No service provided by government is free - they may not charge anywhere near what the actual costs are (or may not charge anything at all), but SOMEONE, somewhere, pays.

With respect to selective qualification, every program has to have some provision for discriminating between those that qualify for a program - and those that don't.

What about Veteran's Benefits? Not everyone qualifies - only veterans (and even then, not all veteran benefits are equally distributed among all veterans). Your statement makes it sound like you wish to abolish any kind of program like that.

While I agree in principle that lots of programs should be eliminated (to your point), it seems unlikely that we can do that anytime soon!

Steven
My point was far more simple, and you pointed out its intended flaw that most conservatives overlook.

Only programs that include EVERYONE are without applicant fraud. The other option is to cancel. But when neither are realistic, as conservatives of forget, then there will be substantial abuse by those who really should not qualify, but do.

Just that simple. Cannot have a qualifying program without fraud. Not possible.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fire them all

This picture is worth a trillion $$

House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk, pictured standing, far right, speaks while colleagues Rep. Barbara Lambert, D-Milford and Rep. Jack F. Hennessy, D-Bridgeport, play solitaire Monday night as the House convened to vote on a new budget. (AP)

The guy sitting in the row in front of these two...he's on Facebook, and the guy behind Hennessy is checking out the baseball scores.

These are the folks that couldn't get the budget out by Oct. 1, and are about to control your health care, cap and trade, and the list goes on and on….
Should we buy them larger screen computers - or - a ticket home, permanently?

This is one of their 3-DAY WORK WEEKS that we all pay for (salary is about $179,000 per year).

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts

House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk, pictured standing, far right, speaks while colleagues Rep. Barbara Lambert, D-Milford and Rep. Jack F. Hennessy, D-Bridgeport, play solitaire Monday night as the House convened to vote on a new budget. (AP)
For the record, Jack is playing free cell.....there is a difference :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Nothing new here. A huge percentage of congress' time is spent with congressmen speaking merely for the purpose of getting on the record. No one is expected to be listening, and during that time, those present while away the time doing other things. Is this an efficient way to run government? Of course not. But it's always been this way.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts

The guy sitting in the row in front of these two...he's on Facebook, and the guy behind Hennessy is checking out the baseball scores.

These are the folks that couldn't get the budget out by Oct. 1, and are about to control your health care, cap and trade, and the list goes on and on….
Should we buy them larger screen computers - or - a ticket home, permanently?

This is one of their 3-DAY WORK WEEKS that we all pay for (salary is about $179,000 per year).
While your point is well made that government representatives shouldn't be wasting time on computer games while debating legislation, this isn't a picture of the US House of Representatives.

It's actually the Connecticut House, and the picture was taken a couple of years ago.

http://blogs.courant.com/capitol_watch/2009/09/connecticut-budget-solitaire-photo.html

Steven

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Nice find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts