Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being a firefighter i have seen my fair share of bad wreaks. and over the past two weeks i have had to cut 3 people out of cars..two where rolled over. the wreak last night was a duramax rolled over and it crushed the cab of the truck and the driver died at the wreak. so this got me thinking a lot about maybe putting a roll cage in my car. im not worried about it being a show car so having a cage in the car will not bother me at all. just wondering if there are any kits out there for a 1980 c3 or will it have to be custom built? also my car has T-tops dont know if that would make a difference or not.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
there are several options out there from cages to roll bars-- weld in to bolt in. Just google corvette roll bars.

Fora daily driver I'd think about the roll bar-- bolted in. I've seen a few vettes with them in and they don't seem to take away much room. I'd also stick with the bars so they dont interfere with the joys of having the t tops out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are several options out there from cages to roll bars-- weld in to bolt in. Just google corvette roll bars.

Fora daily driver I'd think about the roll bar-- bolted in. I've seen a few vettes with them in and they don't seem to take away much room. I'd also stick with the bars so they dont interfere with the joys of having the t tops out.
ok thanks. i didnt even think about searching google

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I got mine from JEG's, the price is very resonable if you can pick it up. But the shipping is more than the kit...

·
Registered
339 Posts
any links for a bolt in???

looking for a 4 point for my 82 as well and really dont want to do any welding if I can avoid it , not really looking to turn the car into a full blown race car, more for some added security like the OP and to add some saftey harness'es

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Roll bars/cages can sometimes do more harm than good in a street car. Make sure there is plenty of room between your head and the bar. Hitting your head against a roll bar in an accident (with no helmet) will hurt alot more than some whiplash. Alot of the pre-fab kits arent as tight on the roof or side panels, so they end up pretty close to your head.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My welded in 10 point cage. Stock 4 point weld in Autopower rear bar, with fabbed 6 point added. You can't see the halo bar..(hidden by t-top). It is padded for safety. I don't know how you could do a safe and proper installation with a bolt in kit. I will say the chassis is very rigid now.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Even though roll bar padding is hideous, it's also necessary. On the street you definitely won't be wearing a helmet, stock belts don't restrain your upper body very well, and racing harnesses won't be as tight as track conditions. The end result is a lot of risk of flopping around in the seat then crackin your noggin and dying in a low speed crash that should've been survivable.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
A good friend of mine used to do custom fit welded in cages for all kinds of applications. He was super talented and was able to offer a very reasonable price for his work. All you paid for was materials and his labor.

I think this saved people a lot of money because you're not paying built in profit for a business or a something similar as a kit from a vendor or online company.

This also allows the custom installer to make on the fly changes to the design based on subtle differences your car may have from other C3s.

This also opens up options for different seats, maybe that bolt to the cage instead of the floor, and different belts and accessories.

I'm a huge fan of local custom exhaust and cages. Seeing both, I see a lot of advantages of cookie cutter kits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts