Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

PPI Hires Ron Fellows for Infineon

PPI Motorsports (PPIM) announced today that veteran road course driver Ron Fellows will climb behind the wheel of the No. 32 Tide/Downy Chevrolet for the upcoming NASCAR Nextel Cup event at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., on June 26. PPIM's owner, Cal Wells III made the decision based on NASCAR's current qualifying rules. Bobby Hamilton Jr., remains the driver of the Tide ride.

"I want to stress the fact that I have the utmost faith in my driver, Bobby Hamilton Jr.," said Wells. "Unfortunately, our team has suffered a string of bizarre circumstances that has equated to 37th place in the NASCAR Nextel Cup owner points. I felt, as did Bobby Jr., qualifying would be a major concern at Infineon since we may have to race our way in.

"Therefore, I believe it is in the best interest of the team to turn to one of the best road course racers in motorsports to help improve our results. Fellows can not only help our owner points but also provide the Tide team with a legitimate shot at winning at the race."

"It's no secret I do not have the experience or the professional road course schooling needed to feel comfortable about qualifying successfully at a road course," added Hamilton Jr., who has raced only three times in his career at Watkins Glen in the NASCAR Busch Series. "The Tide team is not in a situation to take chances so putting Fellows in the car is a good decision."

Fellows, 45, is recognized as one of North America's best road course drivers. From Mississauga, Ontario, he has a vast array of NASCAR experience after wielding Chevrolets in all three NASCAR series. To his credit, he has five NASCAR victories and has won in every level of competition he's raced. Currently, he drives full time in the American Le Mans Series for Corvette Racing. His most recent win came last month at Road Atlanta. Fellows and teammate Johnny O'Connell drove the new Corvette C6.R to its first victory as well as tying the ALMS record with 22 career wins.

PPI Motorsports, based in Hickory, N.C., fields the No. 32 Tide/Downy Chevrolet in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series. Since joining the series in 2000, the team has earned two wins, three pole positions, ten top fives and 20 top tens. The team also owns multiple titles and victories in off-road and open-wheel racing and celebrates its 25th year in racing this season.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts