Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im going to buy a supercharger for my FRC and im wondering what would be better. the roots type magnacharger or like a procharger centrifigul type one. which is louder? thanks to you all

Jess

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I've heard the centrifigul is the way to go, however I don't have one. And I only know two people that have one. I heard the ATI Procharger is the way to go for the corvette. Good Luck! Post a picture of your car when you've got it supercharged.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
i would definately go for the ati procharger- you can easily reach 600hp with their kit. if you go with the maggie, you will need a high rise hood. if ultimate performance is what you are looking for, the procharger is the way to go. if you are willing to give up some performance for visual appeal, then the maggie is the way to go. you could also check out the kenne bell, its like the maggie....

·
Registered
151 Posts
The MagnaCharger requires a different hood and maxes out long before a P-1SC or D-1SC. Unfortunately, the ProChargers tend to be much harder on belts and tensioners than the MagnaChargers. The ProCharger is the louder of the two.

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
There isn't much difference between a supercharger discussion and the old which exhaust system if better discussion in that both blowers have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you are serious and do infact put a blower on your car, have a company install it that has a good track record and reputation or don't do it at all. Two good ones are lingenfelter.com and eastcoastsupercharging.com. There are others.

·
Registered
28 Posts
roots or centrifical

The maggie will make instant torque but roots blowers make a lot of hot air. you might expect 120 hp, great torque & easy starting. This is a small blower by roots standards. We ran many blowers from 6-71 to 14-71 on methanol( because it cools the charge) at the drags. the rotors really heat the air,so blown gas (roots) never makes really big power. we have owned several prochargers. they make a lot of models & some guys are not happy because they simply got bad advice. if you are mostly a street guy ask for a model with a "mid & low end torque" impeller. lots of low & mid range power makes street driving more fun. The P1SC is the low end for a C-5, ask for a D1SC . I am running an F1-C with a "mild helixed" impeller with 12 psi of boost. Before the F1-C it was an F1-R which has a more radical "HELIXED" impeller. Great for drag racing but not as much fun to drive on the street. The F1-C feels like a big stroker, much better behaved. All cars are different though. Maggie's do look good and seem very reliable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check out the twin screw Kennebelle. Instant torque like a roots/maggie but way more effcient on the top end. Ultimately I think a centrifigul will be able to make more peak, but at the expense of some under the curve.

A gentleman over on corvetteforum.com made something like 730whp and 750 ftlbs at the wheels through a kennebelled 402 ls2 in his z06 and said that it was throttle body limited to that. He said he was going to go speed density with a larger TB and see what more he could get.

You can't go wrong either way, though I'd assume wheel spin would be even worse with the torque of a twin screw/roots setup.

·
Registered
121 Posts
a roots type supercharger, while not as effcient as a centerfugal type, will provide better power delivery across the board

if your really worried about heat while racing you could also go with water or alcohol injection.... dont know much about vette S/C kits (but i do know a good bit about S/C's) but there might be a roots availible with an intercooler, and you could always go with a co2 cooling system

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is real hard to intercool a roots blower. The blower sits on the intercooler and water runs through it. The boosted air runs through the intercooler to the heads. This does not work real well. The intercooler raises the blower several inches & needs a source of cool water. It works on a boat because lake water is pumped through the intercooler. If you are drag racing, very high octane gas which evaporates quickly helps(same cooling effect happens in a blow-through carb setup). Racers who use roots blowers usually run methanol or nitro (and a small amt. of Benzine). They both cool rapidly. Blown methanol cars can run high compression.It's better to turn the blower as slow as possible to generate the boost you need. Even though a 6-71 might make enough boost, racers may run an 8-71 at a slower speed to keep charge air temp down. The smaller the rotors the faster they must turn & faster means more heat. Air to air intercoolers work best on the street.Racers who use liquid intercoolers use icewater which is replaced after each run. Maggies look neat but the power potential is very limited compared to a centrifical with an air to air intercooler.

·
Registered
121 Posts
alll true, just noting the possiblities and the fact that the powerband of a roots type s/c will act more like a stroker with a more linear power band

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lots of good info here.....as said , look at some dyno runs for centrifical vs. positive displacement chargers. Centrifical is all top end but is BIG POWER (relative). Pos Displacement like roots or twin screw positively KILLS centrificals all the way up to 4K+ rpm at least for like set ups.

Twin screw with intercooling is really the way to go because it offers the advantages of the pos displ blower (great powerband) with a decent top end . Kenne Bell makes a good one but they are typically Ford ready although I think they are now starting to do an LSx model , so I have heard.

Hope that helps........

·
Registered
121 Posts
actually, turbos would be the way to go since they're tuneable but for a s/c on a vette i would seriously consider a positive displacement peice because they have a more usuable powerband

a twin setup wont do anyhng more than force more air at those same higher rpm's.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
roots vs centrifical

isnt the kenne-belle similar to a whipple? The high-helix whipple is said to be very efficient,though i have no personal experience with one. Maybe these screw type blowers are the coming thing. The old 6-71 roots type came on 6 cyl. GMC 238 hp diesel trucks. The truck had 6 cyl. with 71 cu in per cyl,the 8-71 was on the 318 hp engine which had 8 cyl. of 71 cu in each. Just a little trivia! For what its worth those diesels turn low RPM even at top speed. Diesels are all about torque just like roots blowers. Centrificals came into common use when the Granatelli Bros. sold them to the navy to circulate air on submarines. They called the co. Paxton,remember them? OK- no more trivia.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't remember exactly what Mustang mag I was reading this month, but one of the more popular ones compared two 05 Mustangs both blown in dyno and 1/4mile comparos. It was interesting to see that though the peaks were similar, the torque of the Kennebelle towered over the Procharger. Also noted was the higher traps of the KB car, my guess a result of the car never falling out of the power band b/c of the torque.

Obviously the test was somewhat apples to oranges as one car seemed slightly better suited to drag racing. But knowing they weighted in the neighborhood of each other, I put more relevance on the traps of the cars as opposed to the 60's and the ETs when comparing which blower made the car faster despite having similar peaks.

I like the centrif. blowers for their top end, but on the street the positive displacement blowers with their flat torque curves are hard to beat. Lots of people with smaller motors seem to heavily benefit from the positive displ. blowers as they are down on torque, but the people with the bigger torque-rich motors seem go with the centrif. blowers b/c they already have so much torque from the motor in favor of the strong top end centrif. blowers can achieve.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went with a Procharger, I'm very happy with it and the tune that EPP did. This thing is scary fast. I put long tube Kook's header's and hi-flow cat's and x pipe and a Corsa cat back pace car exhaust. I like the Procharger I have a Convertible and I don't hear it until I get on it. Once in awhile if I'm going the right speed I hear alittle whine or whistle. The d1sc kit is the way to go, if you want to do more down the road you won't have to change anything except the pulley. I have 460 rwhp and still get 22-24 mpg on the highway.( as long as I'm not hitting it to hard) You won't be able to punch it out of the hole any more you'll just spin and hit the rev limiter. I didn't go with a Magie because I heard it was for more low end and I got plenty already. I know a guy that has the Magie and we ran them from a 40 mph punch and I was ahead by 5 to 6 car lengths at 110 mph. He said he might be selling his to put on a procharger. His does look cool it's all polished. But so is my procharger. I'm glad I went with Procharger.
BTW make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing do the tune afterwards. I had Exotic Performance Plus in Columbia City, In. Talk to Bob he's the owner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
actually, with something like the procharger or any other s/c of this type you can go to small in the pulley and start to cavitate which will create a surging affect and loss of boost

if you want to up the boost beyond a certain point you'll have to swap out housings and compressors or the whole s/c unit... thats one thing you really have to be careful with because if you over rev them they can become unstable, and it actually happens alot earlier than most people would think, i mean you dont need a 10k rpm engine to do it

the screw type compressors just act like a larger engine, its positive displacement, just think of it as swapping in another, larger, engine... oh and he was prolly running a larger pulley with not nearly as much power because a screw type will stay realitivly flat across the board

1 - 16 of 16 Posts