Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow I have a flat spot on my flexplate so the starter is just spinning at startup. I have gotten a 5/8 socket onto the bolt at the front of the crank and tried to rotate clockwise (when looking at the front of the engine). It just feels like the bolt is tightening, not rotating the engine. Any thoughts? For now I just want to get the car started so I can make a list of needs. I presume I can move the 700 r4 back enough to install a new flex plate in the near future.

Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
You need to be careful turning the crank by the harmonic balancer bolt. I broke one off doing that and it was a pita to get out. NAPA has a tool that grabs the teeth on the flex-plate/flywheel to turn the motor over. Not to expensive.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to be careful turning the crank by the harmonic balancer bolt. I broke one off doing that and it was a pita to get out. NAPA has a tool that grabs the teeth on the flex-plate/flywheel to turn the motor over. Not to expensive.
Thats what I was worried about. Once the bolt tightened a little I gave up. I was hoping the engine would turn first. I look into that tool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dumb question, but did you pull all the plugs before trying to turn it over by hand? Shouldn't turn over THAT hard I wouldn't think.

-Chris

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed to get it rotated using the old screwdriver jammed in the flex plate method. Unfortunately the car died 3 times while I was tinkering with the idle setting and once more when I put the car into gear. Thats when I got sick of climbing under the car (Im fighting the flu) and decided I need a new flexplate before I work out anything else.

Can I move the 700-r4 backwards enough to get the flex plate out? Its a manual car with the welded in crossmember.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Most likely you won't get it back far enough, but considering your crossmember is welded in, I'd sure try it.

Unless you have all the bells and whistles (A/C, PS) pulling the engine would be a real alternative. Even then, it might be less time consuming to pull the engine.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most likely you won't get it back far enough, but considering your crossmember is welded in, I'd sure try it.

Unless you have all the bells and whistles (A/C, PS) pulling the engine would be a real alternative. Even then, it might be less time consuming to pull the engine.
I dont have AC and was prepared to pull the engine if the tranny was bad. I would like to at least test the tranny before I pull the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts