Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a friend of mine. Who bought a C6 05 with brakes that squeal. She was told that the only thing she needed was rotors turned, then was told that she doesn't need pads :WTF. Just would like to ask if anyone has just turned the rotors on there car? And if everything was fine after that
PS the car has 45000 on it.

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
My 05 C6 has squeal since day 1, washing down the calipers/brake pads stops the noise for about 3 days. @45K, there are some other considerations to make here, for instance, are the brakes original? If so, I would change them out to another brand that will produce less brake dust, hence that squeal. Turning a rotor is to remove high spots from warping or light grooves from low brake pads, it won't help with the very common brake squeal most of us encounter on our C5/C6 Corvettes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 05 C6 has squeal since day 1, washing down the calipers/brake pads stops the noise for about 3 days. @45K, there are some other considerations to make here, for instance, are the brakes original? If so, I would change them out to another brand that will produce less brake dust, hence that squeal. Turning a rotor is to remove high spots from warping or light grooves from low brake pads, it won't help with the very common brake squeal most of us encounter on our C5/C6 Corvettes. :thumbsup:
Thanks thats what I have been hearing. just told her to replace both an she should be okay.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My brakes squeaked until I switched them out and put on the drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. That cured the squeak.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
My OEM Rotors pads sqeeled until 12k. I switch to Baer Rotors @ 14K with OEM Pads. No Squeel lots of dust. I switched to Hawk Street/Track Pads at 28k. Great Stopping power, much less dust some squeeling at gentle stops. At the track this combination performed awesome. My instructor asked if I had Stop-Techs:cheers: Stop-Techs are a step up no doubt but that was his comment during one of the fast sessions.:D I will need new Rotors soon and I will stick with the Hawk/Baer Combo but I may go to slotted Rotors.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My OEM Rotors pads sqeeled until 12k. I switch to Baer Rotors @ 14K with OEM Pads. No Squeel lots of dust. I switched to Hawk Street/Track Pads at 28k. Great Stopping power, much less dust some squeeling at gentle stops. At the track this combination performed awesome. My instructor asked if I had Stop-Techs:cheers: Stop-Techs are a step up no doubt but that was his comment during one of the fast sessions.:D I will need new Rotors soon and I will stick with the Hawk/Baer Combo but I may go to slotted Rotors.

Got to ask did you have drilled sloted, and did they crack?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Got to ask did you have drilled sloted, and did they crack?
They are still safe now but one more track session and they will be history whether they crack or not (they will). The Hawk Pads are agressive and wear the rotors faster than OEM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts