Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Car has developed a rough idle. It also has a very strong gasoline smell out of the exhaust. Looks like tiny droplets are hitting the ground out of the pipes. Stuck my hand under the exhaust. My hand smelled of gasoline. Could bad plugs be responsible by not causing proper combustion maybe? Distributor maybe? Thanks in advance. Always something to learn.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Pull your plugs and read them one by one.

The contacts should all be brown if your system is healthy.

If one is wet, different than the others, check for spark from the wire, and try a different spark plug.

A new distributor can is pretty inexpensive if that does turn out to be the problem.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. I posted another thread about my driver side rear wheel well seriously smoking after a drive. I thought it was electrical. I am finding out after communicating with Gary that it could be my calipers binding or parking brake issues. I just bougt a Jack and Jack stands and will get the wheel off to take a look. The previous owner did quite a few things to this car but after continually reading posts on the forum and studying the car I am finding out there is a helluva lot he didn't do, and things are hitting me all at one time. Such is old corvette ownership, but the looks make it worth it. I guess:laughing::thumbsup: Outside of a few basic things I have never worked on cars. I have a general knowledge of how things work, but I have never really turned wrenches so alot of times I find myself wanting to just throw in the towel, but i am quickly finding out why I must do some work myself. The car would live at the shop and my bank account would bleed like a cut artery, and with a wife and kids we know that ain't happenin'. Unless I win the lottery of course. :thumbsup::laughing:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts