Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Ruby automatic with 94,xxx miles and bought it last October in Iowa so these past few 80+ degree days have been the first I have driven it in any sort of "hot" weather. Anyway, here is what is happening...the car starts fine and idles great, but once it gets warmed up (200+ degrees engine temp) when you hit the gas, it kinda sputters and feels like it is almost out of gas. If you absolutly floor the gas, it'll sputter a little bit, but then feels like it gets all the gas it needs and takes off like a rocket. Also, once you get it to highway speed and put on the cruise, it runs great.

A friend of mine thought it may be vaporlock like he gets in his Camero, but just wondered if anyone has had any problem like this or knows what it might be. I do know it is in need of a tune up (new plugs and wires), but don't know if that is the cause or not.

Like I said, it has always run fine for me, just problems in the last couple days of 80+ degree weather.

·
Registered
501 Posts
when your car first starts, the ecm ignores the signal from the o2 sensor and controls fuel feed/ spark advance from memory...at W.O.T.(anything more than 3/4 throttle as far as the ecm cares), the ecm again ignores the o2 sensor and relies on fixed memory...since your engine runs good cold and at
WOT, good chance you need a new o2 sensor...even if it's not the prob in this case, it's time for a fresh one anyway as age/miles reduces accuracy of the signal from the o2 sensor to the ecm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same Problem

My 94 auto does the same thing, and I have yet to resolve it. WHen it is cool it runs great, but once warmed up it will buck and sputter. Even WOT is sometimes a problem. If you figure it out, please let me know because I've been stumped. (new fuel filters, pump, wires)! Thanks

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
Sounds like a problem I had a while back. Turned out to be a cracked spark plug wire. It was arching behind the head in between the firewall and the head. Couldn't figure it out for a week. One night the sun went down.. left the car running in the driveway while I cleaned up inside the house. Came out and saw the blue hue. :)

YMMV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never seen the check engine light come on. Its supposed to me a lot cooler tonight so i may see if it still has issues or if it isn't temperature related. Thanks for the help so far...it gives me a great place to start!

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Bad Optispark, imo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 93 Ruby automatic with 94,xxx miles and bought it last October in Iowa so these past few 80+ degree days have been the first I have driven it in any sort of "hot" weather. Anyway, here is what is happening...the car starts fine and idles great, but once it gets warmed up (200+ degrees engine temp) when you hit the gas, it kinda sputters and feels like it is almost out of gas. If you absolutly floor the gas, it'll sputter a little bit, but then feels like it gets all the gas it needs and takes off like a rocket. Also, once you get it to highway speed and put on the cruise, it runs great.

A friend of mine thought it may be vaporlock like he gets in his Camero, but just wondered if anyone has had any problem like this or knows what it might be. I do know it is in need of a tune up (new plugs and wires), but don't know if that is the cause or not.

Like I said, it has always run fine for me, just problems in the last couple days of 80+ degree weather.
Have you opened the hood to see if your cooling fans are running? mine kick on at 170 degrees on dash display or sooner if A/C is turned on. Also see if leaves or paper has flown in and is blocking the cooling of the radiator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts