Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just want to have a ballpark figure of what it would cost to:

1. replace filter and fluid in tranny, not flushed.
2. replace differential fluid.
3. replace outer rear wheel bearings.
4. flush coolant system, replace with new coolant.

the car is a 2003 coupe. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
964 Posts

I suggest picking up the parts yourself it will cust the cost down. You can get the hub from corvette recycling for like 30 to 60 bucks. And even from a parts place for like $100. I got a used z06 hub, put it on 2 years ago no problems yet. If you Get 10 qts Of dextron3, and filter. Get 5 qt of Diff fluid and the hub. Should cut labor costs to between 300 to 450, depending on where you take the car. Expect 500 to 800 bucks if the mechanic gets the parts.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I suggest picking up the parts yourself it will cust the cost down. You can get the hub from corvette recycling for like 30 to 60 bucks. And even from a parts place for like $100. I got a used z06 hub, put it on 2 years ago no problems yet. If you Get 10 qts Of dextron3, and filter. Get 5 qt of Diff fluid and the hub. Should cut labor costs to between 300 to 450, depending on where you take the car. Expect 500 to 800 bucks if the mechanic gets the parts.
A transmission fluid change only should only be about 5 quarts at most,

differential maybe 2 - 2 1/2qts.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts

I had a dealer change my tranny fluid and filter for $190. I was out of town and it was overdue.

Diff fluid should be like a oil change. There's nothing to it.

The wheel bearings is a little more work. You can get an idea as to what it takes by looking at this thread.

Draining and replacing the coolant is another easy job that shouldn't cost much.

Now if you are a total novice to turning screws or don't want to get your hands dirty, or you don't have the facilities to do these repairs yourself, I would reconsider paying to have it done professionally. The hardest of the jobs is the wheel bearings, but by looking at my write-up, you can see that it is a relatively easy job. If you lived around me, I'd invite you over and we could knock them all out in one day easy.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Actually now that I think of it. How far are you from the Wayne area in NJ. I could help with some of that job for you.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
assuming you have an automatic, MAKE SURE whom ever you have do it back flushes the system before refilling it, this is very very important

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
assuming you have an automatic, MAKE SURE whom ever you have do it back flushes the system before refilling it, this is very very important
You're talking about the coolant system, correct?

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
no, the trasn system. All automatic transmissions in our cars have transmission coolers, out of sheer necessity. Backflowing that system (ie the lines and cooler) allows any debris, sludge, ect to be far more effectively flushed fromt he system. If you do not do this, anything in there that shouldn't be will just end up in your transmission again.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
no, the trasn system. All automatic transmissions in our cars have transmission coolers, out of sheer necessity. Backflowing that system (ie the lines and cooler) allows any debris, sludge, ect to be far more effectively flushed fromt he system. If you do not do this, anything in there that shouldn't be will just end up in your transmission again.
Actually, GM highly advises against this. The reason being is that you can dislodge debris and clog up the flow of fluid, which could cause a catastrophic failure of the transmission. As a matter of fact, the service manual states that the only time you want to flush the transmission is after a catastrophic failure, where a rebuild is necessary. If you do a search both here and over at CF, you will find quite a few threads where folks have had total failure of their transmission after having the system flushed. It makes perfectly good sense when you think about it.

Here are the instructions for replacing the fluid & filter. Notice that it says nothing about flushing the system.

·
Banned
591 Posts
The transmission "flushers" I've seen are just glorified "fluid exchangers" and use the cars normal operation to change all the fluid , which won't hurt a thing.
All they do is drain and refill
You run the car , the trans pumps the fluid out and is refilled through the low pressure side.
Nothing can be dislodged that isn't going to come loose anyway since the trans is actually puming normally.
The guys who have a failure after doing a flush of this type would have had a failure anyway

If you use an actual "powerflusher" , then I could see issues developing

Both types are made.

I made my own "exchanger" and have never had an issue

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The transmission "flushers" I've seen are just glorified "fluid exchangers" and use the cars normal operation to change all the fluid , which won't hurt a thing.
All they do is drain and refill
You run the car , the trans pumps the fluid out and is refilled through the low pressure side.
Nothing can be dislodged that isn't going to come loose anyway since the trans is actually puming normally.
The guys who have a failure after doing a flush of this type would have had a failure anyway

If you use an actual "powerflusher" , then I could see issues developing

Both types are made.

I made my own "exchanger" and have never had an issue
The issues that I speak of come from power flushing. I guess if all you do is "exchange" the fluid, that is basically the same thing as draining and refilling.

·
Banned
591 Posts
The issues that I speak of come from power flushing. I guess if all you do is "exchange" the fluid, that is basically the same thing as draining and refilling.
you would be correct sir !:thumbsup:
I understood that
Thanks for clarifying it for the others

·
Registered
3 Posts

That would cost a lot if you don't have any friends help you. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can call around and get some estimates, but my guess is 8 hours @ $75 an hour plus materials.

I would follow the directions on the web site and do the simple stuff myself.

Start with one item and take your time.

Good luck and if you get stuck, send the board a message and you will get some help!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Fly me in, get the grill going and get out of my way! :laughing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Differential Fluid Change

Had Transmission fluid service to be done at a "Chevrolet-Dealer". Before they started requested the Rear Diff. change as well,indicated that I wanted "Red-Line" fluid to be used.Use of this recomended for 75,000mi. and above ,there is no need for posi-additive.Red-Line is mixed ready as is.anyway drove home car still made rear noise which now had me concerned,so I got "Pucks" to lift and check rear...NEVER SERVICED! so I did job myself brought the Old back to dealer and was told "No way,we changed it" I stated that as requested RedLine why is this stuff Blue and burnt smelling? still never was refunded so...Please BEWARE of scumbag Dealers. I just hope the Trans was done at least

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Had Transmission fluid service to be done at a "Chevrolet-Dealer". Before they started requested the Rear Diff. change as well,indicated that I wanted "Red-Line" fluid to be used.Use of this recomended for 75,000mi. and above ,there is no need for posi-additive.Red-Line is mixed ready as is.anyway drove home car still made rear noise which now had me concerned,so I got "Pucks" to lift and check rear...NEVER SERVICED! so I did job myself brought the Old back to dealer and was told "No way,we changed it" I stated that as requested RedLine why is this stuff Blue and burnt smelling? still never was refunded so...Please BEWARE of scumbag Dealers. I just hope the Trans was done at least
This is why I very rarely let anyone touch my car other than myself.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
So what was the rear end noise that you heard? I hope that you didn't have the transmission "flushed" at that time. If you did, you could be looking for a new transmission in a few weeks.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
When you flush the trans cooler/lines you should never have it hooked up to the trans. I have always preferred to back flush using mineral spirits (denatured alcohol preferrably) and shop air at roughly 75% of working line pressure until the fluid comes out clear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts