Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I drive a stock 2001 Z06. I was wonder if anyone knows what I should hold my RPM at right before launching? Also, I was wondering if I should turn off my Active handling system when doing this? If you have advice or any special technique when launching please let me know!

Thanks,
Joshua Dent

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
There are a few ways of doing this(launch) you can try off idle, like 1000 rpm,release clutch and once you're moving PUNCH IT and go.

It's very abusive to the clutch, but rev it to about 22-2300 rs and slowly release the clutch again 'til you're moving and mash it!

If you want to go all out, bolt up a set of bfg drag radials(borrow them from someone) and let it fly!

Good luck, and let us know how you did.

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Launching RPM depends on so many factors. This is why you get multiple runs in each time you race, so you can get things perfected for that time out.

On a Z, you definitely want to turn off all the traction control crap. Dumping the clutch at a specific RPM may not get you the best results.

Rolling out the clutch, so you keep the RPM's up and the tires on the brink of traction is the way to go.

It all happens so fast, practice makes perfect.

And, shift right before your rev limiter.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
My daily driver is a 386rwhp 99 WS-6 Trans Am(6 speed). On street tires everyone I know with an LS-1/LS-6 (including myself) dump the clutch @ 1500-1700 rpm, almost bogging. If you launch at a higher rpm on street tires you will spin your butt off. If you can bust a 1.9 or better on streets in an M6 car, youre a good driver. Definately turn off your traction control! With the TCS on it will slow you down big time! With a stock LS-6 cam you need to shift @ 64 or 65, that should be your peak power. Trust me cuz.:thumbsup:

Hummer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts