Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Since I have had my engine recently rebuilt im still in the break in period. I'm driving it everyday and pushing it now and then so I can give it a great break in.

so far im really impressed with the performance of the engine. I wonder how it will be once I put synthetic oil back in there.

there are a few loose ends that need to be taken care of but so far the car has been great.

dont know if this is a problem or not. On a few occasions im crusing it while my foot on the gas and lets say its around 2000rpm. I let go of the gas and of course i notice the car slow down but the rpms are still at 2000. It seems to stay stuck untill I give it more gas or press on the break.

could it be a problem with the engine or the gas pedal? I wouldnt say the gas pedal is stuck but most of the time to get the car moving it seems slightly stuck but i can't gently press down on it. Sometimes I just give my foot a little more force then im on my way.

anyone had this problem before or is it normal? thanks!

ERnesto

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sounds like the throttle body is sticking. A common problem with dirty throttle body's and some after market ones and some that are worn. I know yours was probably cleaned or replaced during your nightmare at the shop time period. But I'll bet that's what the trouble is.Open the hood and work it by hand and see if it is hard to open and if it closes totally when you close it slowly.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sounds like something is sticking in the throttle cable. Check the routing of it and make sure the arm going into the throttle body is nice and free...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow great info guys. Actually before I picked up my car the shop said they were checking something out on my throttle body. Actually its brand new. Its a BBK 52mm TB that I got.

there were a few times when I would rev my car it would take some time before the RPMs went down to normal idling. Ill have that checked out. thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I love lubricating my cables. I do cables on everything I own every 6 months. they sell this handy addapter thru motorcycle shops that slips on the cable and clamps on to the cable housing, then you can force oil down the whole cable and out the other end with little clean up.
I doubt the whole problem is non lubed cables, but its always a good idea to lubricate them. and it realley sucks when they break.

I dont have this one, but I use one similar to this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...014QQitemZ330158908153QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
607 Posts
On My Wifes Celica, I believe there is a vacuum circuit that cusions the return of the throttle!

can anyone tell me if something similar is used on the vette?

·
Registered
441 Posts
wow great info guys. Actually before I picked up my car the shop said they were checking something out on my throttle body. Actually its brand new. Its a BBK 52mm TB that I got.

there were a few times when I would rev my car it would take some time before the RPMs went down to normal idling. Ill have that checked out. thanks!
Hey Bro, No offence intended:thumbsup: , but I think it may be time to start learning about your car (and trying) to tackle some of this "easy" stuff yourself:D ...the throttle spring or cable may just need some lubrication.......and you surely can handle popping the hood and working the throttle blades with your hand to see if you feel anything sticking, right?.......you should also remove the accordion intake tubes so you can check (with your own eyes) that the butterflies are indeed opening 100% of the way (many places never check this IMPORTANT stuff)....just have someone sit in your car and floor it (engine off ofcourse:D ) and verify if their opening all the way.....I can't even tell ya how many DOG cars I've worked on for people that weren't even getting much past 3/4 throttle when floored...........BBK's (and other "cast" aluminum throttle body's) are commonly known for sticking (simply, some do and some don't)......and also, another thing worth mentioning with the BBK aftermarket throttle body's(and 99% of all the others)....they "eliminate" the VERY important (and much needed) IAC passage behind the throttle-body.....GM made the IAC system and it's passages in the intake manifold for a reason....to give a better idle and smoother throttle responses at a variety of RPM's.....this elimination of the intake manifolds IAC passages commonly causes "less than perfect" throttle response, and can also be responsible for a bunch of weird idle characteristic's..... if you datalogged your car right now you would certainly see a serious "split" BLM issue because of it(look it up).........this is why if your gonna go for a 52mm throttle body(if you want the very best idle and best driving characteristic's) using a bored out factory (52mm) throttle body will yield MUCH better results......you can also fix this crazy issue with the aftermarket throttle bodies to get a much better idle and throttle responce......if you ever decide you want to do this, PM me and I'll give you directions on how to make almost any aftermarket throttlebody utilize the IAC passage(like the factory throttlebody has)........good luck with everything...........Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I figured I'd post these directions (from the net) for people with aftermarket throttlebodies on their LT1/LT4 engines that are having the split BLM issue associated with using an aftermarket throttlebody, or if they can't figure out why their idle and throttle response isn't quite as good as it was with their factory throttle body......this shows pictures of how the aftermarket throttlebody makers (brainlessly) changed the IAC design from how the factory designed it to work(and how it will work "best" in most ALL situations, and "especially" on cars running bigger than stock cams..........it's things like this that make people think that modified cars loose "alot" their drivability ............http://members.cox.net/chipsbyal/page/idle/index.html ................Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey joe. no offense taken at all. I know I need to get started on knowing my car and I have learned a lot tha past several months. On the other hands im really afraid im going to mess up my car somehow. I guess i need to get over that.

its funny you said that because I recently got a laptop computer and im going to order that data log cable you mentioned a while ago so I can read my car with the computer. I can't wait to do that and check it out.

other than that i think thats one of the few problems I found. were going to change out the power steering pump probably tomorrow and I think thats about it. Ill give my TB a check and ill read up more info about the iAC you mentioned.

·
Registered
494 Posts
great reading Joe!!! thanks!!

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
hey joe. no offense taken at all. I know I need to get started on knowing my car and I have learned a lot tha past several months. On the other hands im really afraid im going to mess up my car somehow. I guess i need to get over that.

its funny you said that because I recently got a laptop computer and im going to order that data log cable you mentioned a while ago so I can read my car with the computer. I can't wait to do that and check it out.

other than that i think thats one of the few problems I found. were going to change out the power steering pump probably tomorrow and I think thats about it. Ill give my TB a check and ill read up more info about the iAC you mentioned.
Yea, don't worry so much:D ....your not going to mess anything up with this kind of stuff........Joe:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Yea, don't worry so much:D ....your not going to mess anything up with this kind of stuff........Joe:thumbsup:
:agree: And honestly how much more can you mess it up than the first 2 shops you took it to? At least you won't charge yourself to fix it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:agree: And honestly how much more can you mess it up than the first 2 shops you took it to? At least you won't charge yourself to fix it.
touche......

touche............:laughing:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Boy, isn't that the truth:D .......Joe:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts