Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Just seems like its too good to be true when the Vett isn't acting up...

...just had brake pads replaced all the way around about a month ago on C6 vert...rubbing sound disappeared...its back and its coming from the back wheel area...it happens during slow speed turns in parking lots or when pulling out of a parking lot or pulling into a parking lot...

...any ideas on what this could be? I can't be the brake pads...car has 10k miles on it...and about 1k miles on the new pads, maybe less...(i'm not very happy)

:thud: :bang

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have you seen the post that talk about clutch assembly package replacement. I had a grinding rearend that was coming from the rear of my 2005 z51. The rearend clutch assembly had some binding that was causing the noise in the exact circumstances. Sometimes I would be pulling out from a parking spot and the rear wheels would be bound and cause a loud bang when they were freed. The clutch packs in the rear differential were replaced and I have had any noise since.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C6VETTE04 said:
Have you seen the post that talk about clutch assembly package replacement.
Not yet...I will contact dealer now though...thanks!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
AG,

I had the same noise from the posi clutch packs.

Drain the rear and fill it with what youare goint to use and drive it about 5 miles, bring it back and drain it and add the additive and the oil you are goint to use.

Do the tight circles or fugure eights, about ten of them and you should be OK. Once since adding the Mobil 1 gear lube it sor of rubbed and I did the circles again - noise gone..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
olddog said:
AG,

Drain the rear and fill it with what youare goint to use and drive it about 5 miles, bring it back and drain it and add the additive and the oil you are goint to use.

Do the tight circles or fugure eights, about ten of them and you should be OK. Once since adding the Mobil 1 gear lube it sor of rubbed and I did the circles again - noise gone..
Thanks for the tip Old Dog!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had the same type of sound coming from the rear pass wheel area of my 04 C5. When the dealer had the Vette on the lift, for a recall, the mechanic shifted the emergency brake cable. It was rubbing on the inside rear wheel on left turns. It was an easy fix, car on the ground, just slipping the cable in its clamp to get clearance to the wheel. C5 vs C6....I wouldn't think there would be much difference in cable routing. Easy enough to check by crawling under the rear and looking. My .02 :cheers:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
olddog said:
AG,

Old Dog,

Had the diff fluid changed at dealer Friday...service dept said that they a service bulletin was out on this for my VIN...(I told them that you had mentioned the diff fluid change)...they told me straight line driving may cause the lack of lubrication in the diff...they too said to do the tight circles and figure eights after fluid changeout...hope this solves problem...no noise since...:)

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sidepipe said:
I had the same type of sound coming from the rear pass wheel area of my 04 C5. When the dealer had the Vette on the lift, for a recall, the mechanic shifted the emergency brake cable. It was rubbing on the inside rear wheel on left turns. It was an easy fix, car on the ground, just slipping the cable in its clamp to get clearance to the wheel. C5 vs C6....I wouldn't think there would be much difference in cable routing. Easy enough to check by crawling under the rear and looking. My .02 :cheers:
Cable checked out okay...thanks for the help!!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts