Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally... after months... no... years of waiting. I took my girl for a drive today.

For those who haven't seen my 69 Vert, or heard about her, I'll give a quick run down.

My grandfather bought her in the early to mid 70s. He had it as a show car for many years and sent it to paint in 99. He passed in 2005 (shortly after my dad) and had signed it over to my uncle before-hand. My uncle said "Take it, he's want you to have it. Get it on the road." The guy who was painting it finished around early March of this year (picture below). We had it towed from MA to NC a few weeks later, and then I came home and got her in the garage early June. That's when I started work (mind you, I've got $900 in the whole thing right now - 700 for towing and 200 for a title). Did all the necessary work, rebuilt carb, rebuilt the entire rear brake system, got some new door panels and some other goodies. Well, yesterday, I finished the brakes, and today I took her for a spin.

This is the first time she's hit the road, changed gears, since 99. This girl drives like a dream. Now, I, being 19, am used to cars with powre steering, so this was an adjustment. She spat and spittered a little as she cleared her throat and really roared down the road. Drove for a while with no problems until I was heading back to the house... clink. Clank. Clink. What the hell was that? Pull onto the road heading to my driveway, pull into a church... my buddy says "You've got one lug-nut holding on your left rear wheel." Lovely. Well, a few hours later... and I'm picking her up from the tire shop... who had to order new lug nuts for $60... oh well. I get them tomorrow and am only headlights shy of being 100% road worthy, which I hope to finish tomorrow.

Final thoughts... I must say, there's not a car like this, nor will there ever be ever again. She purred down the road, in the seats there was a sightly audible "Whoosh"ing of wind as I did... well, I don't know how fast, the speedo is broke... down the road. I could talk quite politely to my passenger as I deafened passer-bys. I had at least every other car look and gawk. "She's gorgeous!" said one man. "First time on the road in almost 10 years" I say... "Well, make sure she stays here. She's too pretty to be in a garage" says he. "I remember wanting one of those as a boy" says an older gentleman. "Wow!" says my waitress.

I'll tell you fellas... we are some blessed individuals to have our gorgeous dames on the road. I feel even more blessed to have a family heirloom at home and on the road. If I bought one of these brand-new, I could easily see her being a DD. She will be before I head to Knox, but after that the Jeep gets fixed and I get a Honda CBR600RR.

Anyway, I figured I'd share.

Thanks to everyone for their help getting her repaired. I'm even more lucky that I, knowing nothing of mechanics until now, got her going with only some internet help and some common sense.

I hope you enjoyed my story... and without and more jibbering from me...

Athena

*Old pic, she is all reassembled now.

Athena: The Greek Goddess of war. Named by my uncle (former Marine) for my grandfather (former Marine), my dad (prior Air Force) and me (Cavalry Scout recruit).

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
It was in the paint shop for 6 years?!:surprised :surprised

Glad you got ahold of it enjoy that bad boy in the memory of your Grandpa.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

The painter is a good family friend... knew my uncle since they were kids. He traded the paint job with my grandfather for a hunting trip to Canada. That's why it sat so long. It was a free, and gorgeous, paint job... so I won't complain! :D

I managed to recover one lug-nut. I took one off of each of the other wheels and had my friend follow me, low and slow, to the tire shop. I have to head out there in a bit to get the new ones put on. Each wheel has 4 lug nuts holding it on right now, and they're tight, safe enough (if I don't drive like an idiot - which I don't) for the 2 mile drive to the shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts