Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised to hear so many C-6 owners are using tires that are not run flats. It appears to me that the major advantage to using the run flats is saving the wheels in case of a flat. There is not much distance from the rim to the ground and the run flats would save a $800 wheel. I also hear that the run flats also helps keep the rims safe when hitting a pot hole. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I am surprised to hear so many C-6 owners are using tires that are not run flats. It appears to me that the major advantage to using the run flats is saving the wheels in case of a flat. There is not much distance from the rim to the ground and the run flats would save a $800 wheel. I also hear that the run flats also helps keep the rims safe when hitting a pot hole. Or am I missing something?
I am using the run-flats. It seems to me that if you don't, you somehow have to carry 2 spare tires, since the front is a different size than the rear. That doesn't appear to be very appealing to me. The run-flats are fine..

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think some owners go with non-run flats because of cost differences. To me, persoanlly, it is being penny wise and pound foolish for the reasons cited by 'livey" and "siebert". I admit that when the time comes, I am not going to replace the Supercar tires on my Z-51 with supercar tires, but rather the standard run flats. Since I am not a racer, I can't see spending more for the Supercars than the standards, especially when tire wear can be an issue (I actually expect to get 25,000 to 30,000 miles out of my OEM tires which is more than most I see commenting here).

Me? I'll stick with runflats!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Run Flats can be dangerous in the Wet and in slippery conditions. The hard sidewall that protects your rim and lets you run with a puncture is less than ideal for gripping the road in slippery conditions. I will be checking out the new GSD3 run flats on the front in a week or so. I will let you know how they are.

:cheers:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Midnite: Is it the runflats or the Goodyear tire that is slippery in the wet? I noticed you are going to a different make of run flat tire, please let us know how you like them.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Midnite: Is it the runflats or the Goodyear tire that is slippery in the wet? I noticed you are going to a different make of run flat tire, please let us know how you like them.
I think it is the run flats in general but the GY GSD3s won some awards from the SCCA so we will see.

ON the track the run flats are less than adequate until they heat up. First lap is always slow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Midnite: Funny you should mention the race track. Are you a SCCA driver. I was running a F/A in the centrol division 2 years ago. Talk about NO grip I must have spun that car 15 times during the season. I never did quit figure out how to shift it good, much harder when you are going 175 into a slow corner, down shifting from 5th to 3rd brakeing down to 60MPH all in about 50 ft. So I know the feeling of no grip. I would hate to feel that in my vette on rainy road.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, the runflats would save the wheel.

I think the reason for getting non-runflats is grip, traction, putting the power to the ground.
Getting to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (treadwear 80, compared with 220 GYSC) will give lots more traction.
There are tire-seal kits so no spare wheel-tire is required.

If one wants to really use these powerful cars then traction must be improved. When going after high performance the risk of loosing a wheel in case of a flat is nothing compared with the other expenses...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I put Firestone Wide Oval run-flats on my C6. The tires are great. They grip and drive nicely. No difference in noise as far as I can tell. The fronts cost me about $180 and the rears about $240. Not a bad price for run-flat protection. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Maybe it's me but I think a major advantage of the run flats is that you don't have to potentially leave your car in a less than desirable location because you suffered a flat. :huh: for example any of the inner city freeways in Detroit, MI

·
Registered
110 Posts
Seems like a no brainer to just use the run flats. I would never ever consider using anything else besides runflats. I have heard so many different things about runflats for instance wet conditions, i say take it easy and act like u know its wet outside and u will be just fine, another is that the ride is rough, not to me this car with these oem tires rides like a freakin Cadillac.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I think it is the run flats in general but the GY GSD3s won some awards from the SCCA so we will see.

ON the track the run flats are less than adequate until they heat up. First lap is always slow.

Are they making the GSD3 in the stock C6 sizes? I have them on my Mustang and absolutely love them. I got 245's in the back (compared to 225's that are stock) and the wet traction was 100% better even with the added width. I like them better than the Supercar tires that are on my C6. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts