Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Run Flat Road Hazzards

I made a 330 mile round trip to deliver my daughter back to college Sunday. I hit 1 pot hole and worried about my Gy Run flats. I checked them and they are ok, at least to my eye.

Has anyone hit a pot hole and "ruined" a run flat? (bubble in sidewall) Just curious as the sidewall seems to be where the strength of the tire is.

I just had this happen with another vehicle running Pirelli's.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Re: Run Flat Road Hazzards

stilcrazee said:
I made a 330 mile round trip to deliver my daughter back to college Sunday. I hit 1 pot hole and worried about my Gy Run flats. I checked them and they are ok, at least to my eye.

Has anyone hit a pot hole and "ruined" a run flat? (bubble in sidewall) Just curious as the sidewall seems to be where the strength of the tire is.

I just had this happen with another vehicle running Pirelli's.
Hi,
hawaii is the pot-hole capital,i hit them every time i drive the car,i'm more worried about cracking a rim.These pot-holes are huge and sometimes deep enough that the rocker panel will even scrap the ground.We complain to the state all the time,they come by and fill holes with bags of asphalt-what a joke.no problems so far.Sometimes the air will leak out if the schrader valve isn't set right after adding air to the tire.
I was thinking of getting Pirreli 19 run-flats when i change rims,do you think there good tires?:buhbye:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Re: Re: Run Flat Road Hazzards

hawaii-5-lo said:
Hi,
hawaii is the pot-hole capital,i hit them every time i drive the car,i'm more worried about cracking a rim.These pot-holes are huge and sometimes deep enough that the rocker panel will even scrap the ground.We complain to the state all the time,they come by and fill holes with bags of asphalt-what a joke.no problems so far.Sometimes the air will leak out if the schrader valve isn't set right after adding air to the tire.
I was thinking of getting Pirreli 19 run-flats when i change rims,do you think there good tires?:buhbye:
Jeez man, what are they doing with all the tourists dollars?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Run Flat Road Hazzards

hawaii-5-lo said:
Hi,
I know nothing about Pirelli Run Flats. The Pirelli that I wasted was a PZero Rossa. A Y rated tire. I didn't have a clue that I had hit anything with it, I was in the garage getting into the Vette and looked over and saw the bubble in the sidewall, the rest is history. Funny cause it was the rear tire on the driver's side.
I remember reading reviews at CF over a year ago thet they were decent, I also think Michelin makes an RF also that was recommended by forum users.

Yesterday's trip for me was a weird one, I not only hit this pot hole but managed to hit a piece of tread off a truck tire that flipped up and hit the roof. Fortunately no damage either incident.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Run Flat Road Hazzards

stilcrazee said:
I know nothing about Pirelli Run Flats. The Pirelli that I wasted was a PZero Rossa. A Y rated tire. I didn't have a clue that I had hit anything with it, I was in the garage getting into the Vette and looked over and saw the bubble in the sidewall, the rest is history. Funny cause it was the rear tire on the driver's side.
I remember reading reviews at CF over a year ago thet they were decent, I also think Michelin makes an RF also that was recommended by forum users.

Yesterday's trip for me was a weird one, I not only hit this pot hole but managed to hit a piece of tread off a truck tire that flipped up and hit the roof. Fortunately no damage either incident.
I will check Michelin when the time gets closer.They must be 19s though.

Jeez man, what are they doing with all the tourists dollars?
Not sure exactly....Funny this came up.They just did a thing on the news about hawaii's pot-holes last night.:laughing:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hard to damage a sidwall on a Goodyear run flat. The side wall is very thick so it will support the car when the tire looses air. This also makes the tire weigh much more then a non run flat. I am retired from Goodyear and had run flats on my 95. I would never have another set due to noise, rough ride and the problems I had keeping them balanced. May be a better tire on the C5 but when I replaced the run flats on my 95 it was like another car. Smiled all the way home from the dealer. Chuck

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuck, Welcome to Digital Corvettes!

My son replaced his GY RF with Firestone Firehawk RF's and it was like a whole different car. Quieter and softer. Priced almost the same too.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: Re: Run Flat Road Hazzards

hawaii-5-lo said:
I will check Michelin when the time gets closer.They must be 19s though.
You can always check info on tires at/on www.tirerack.com
they handle most everything and have reviews and ratings from customers. Even if you don't purchase from them it is a great reference site.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Run Flat Road Hazzards

stilcrazee said:
You can always check info on tires at/on www.tirerack.com
they handle most everything and have reviews and ratings from customers. Even if you don't purchase from them it is a great reference site.
Thanks for the info.
there is a tire store over here that is a tire rack affiliate.They have done my last few tire swaps and rim changes,Hawaiian Punch goes there too.He's one of the only guys that will tolorate an alignment job taking 1 1/2 hours.1 hour just to get the car on the rack because it's so low.:laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts