Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy Chris at the tire store just called me and said my new wheels are in (Boyd Coddington) but when he tried to mount them up he cant get the tire to on the rim right so he called Boyds and they told him he needs a run flat tire machine to mount them. He has been the tire business for years and has never heard of a run flat tire machine before. He just did a set of run flat tires (18's and 19"s) off a newer vette with no problems. Soo what is and where might I find a run flat tire mounting machine?? He is a Les Schwab dealer by the way.

Mike

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've never heard of such a thing and I've done my fair share of Beemer tires. I know that some tire machines dont do larger rim sizes, for instance the tire guy in the shop next to ours machine only goes up to 22" but also if a machine doesnt have enough pneumatic arms it can make it hard for stiff low profile tires which maybe the problem. Does the tire just keep slipping off as he spins it too get it in the rims? or is it not filling with air and sealing?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He said the wheels are built so the tire has to go on from the back and he said something about not being able to get the bead to slide all the way over on the rim against the bead/sealing area on the wheel. He is 130 miles from me so I cant just stop in and take a peek till the weekend.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
My local garage has already mounted tires by hand (not on a machine) to prevent damage to the rims. I wonder if yours can be "hand mounted."

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I have never seen this but I am not surprised. Someone at Ruf broke their arm mounting my GY F1 Rear 325s. The manager said the sidewall are so hard they put extreme pressure on the mounting machine when they rotate.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I have never seen this but I am not surprised. Someone at Ruf broke their arm mounting my GY F1 Rear 325s. The manager said the sidewall are so hard they put extreme pressure on the mounting machine when they rotate.

:cheers:
And that is usually the case. A lot of shops will charge a arm and a leg to mount them or won't touch them at all. For as crappy as the handle and as rough as they ride, I don't know why anyone would want run flats. You couldn't give me a spanking new set, I don't care who makes them.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I had new Michelin RF's mounted by Discount Tire about two months ago. I watched them do it on their regualr tire mounting machine. It didn't look anything out of the ordinary to me. :huh:

·
Registered
476 Posts
He said the wheels are built so the tire has to go on from the back and he said something about not being able to get the bead to slide all the way over on the rim against the bead/sealing area on the wheel. He is 130 miles from me so I cant just stop in and take a peek till the weekend.
Your buddy is not going to have any fun then. By the sounds of it the rim is making the problems if he has to install the tire from the back. I've never had to do that myself but i know that would definitely make in near impossible with the way most machines hold the rim on itself. Only thing i can think of is to heat up the tire to make it more pliable and lube it...... alot. Could it be that the rim is a bit too big for the tire? like a mis-manufacture?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts