Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Corvette owner. I got a '06 C6 and I see that it has the run flat tires. For several reasons (performance, cost, etc) I would like to consider using regular tires instead of run flat tires. I understand that there is no spare and if I have a flat, I'm pretty much screwed. However, I might be willing to take that chance. What I would like to know is if I can safely run other tires and if the driveability wont be compromised..... This might be a silly question. It would seem that the type of tire would not make any difference, but just in case I'd like to ask the experts.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
You don't have to have run flats, a non-runflat tire is fine... and better for performance driving and ride comfort ... unless you get a flat.

On our Z, we have regular tires... no spare tire.

On our C6, we have run flats, but I've destroyed them, and it'll be getting regular tires... no spare.

If I get a flat, I get a flatbed. :laughing:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I drive a C5 Z06. Non run flats - no spare. Almost 5 years now, and I just had a blow out two days ago. I had a small leak once a few years back. I drove in a C5 with run flats. I personally think ride like poop next to regular tires, but its not like I have alot of experience in the run flats. I had to get the flatbed, but GM paid for it. :D

I think its worth it and is just one of the consequences/caveats you should accept with corvette ownership. The worst part is no one really readily carrys the tire sizes for my car so its waiting for a new that gets you!

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I've been running on Cooper tires of 2 years now. The ride and performance, is waaaaay better. The fronts have lasted a little over a year now..... the rears about 6 months at a time (I have a 7 year old that laughs her ass off when we do donuts in a local parking lot) As far as worrying about "flats".... that's what they make cell phones for.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the info. Personally I think that there are tires out there which are better for ride quality and/or performance. I agree with the idea that one can use the phone and get a flatbed to take the car wherever it's needed. I would love to take a ride in a C6 with different tires to compare ride, noise, etc. BTW, I saw in Tirerack where they have the run flat rear tires on sale for under $300 each (the fronts are regularly, read:high, priced). I wonder if I should buy a pair of those rear tires.... BTW, how much wear can I anticipate to get out of the run flat tires? I don't do burnouts and I generally behave myself although I'll probably do a few mountain runs as soon as I can ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got my C6 a couple days ago, and do run flats sound like a lifted truck with mudding tires on them going down the road?

Im used to regular tires, and these things have a howl to them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You could pick up one of those small air compressors and a tire plug kit for
a little piece of mind. The Z comes with the compressor and a can of slime
that no one uses unless it's a dire emergency.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
You could pick up one of those small air compressors and a tire plug kit for
a little piece of mind. The Z comes with the compressor and a can of slime
that no one uses unless it's a dire emergency.
:agree:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts