Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a 97 LT1 into my 73.

Got the Street & Performance serp kit with power steering and I have VBP's rack attack.

Having trouble orienting the PS pump so I can get the hoses made.

Anyone use this kit and have a suggestion?

I also got the PS fluid reservoir from S&P and having a hellava time finding a good place to mout that as well.

Any help? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Pictures of the pump and mounting and tank would help?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was tough to get good images since I've proceeded with mocking up the cooling system... so sorry if it's hard to see what is going on.

Image 1 is from under the car. I'm just not sure I will have enough room to get a 90* elbow in that fitting without hitting the idler wheel mounts on the water pump... (you can see the polished bracket attached to the water pump)

Image 2 shows the pressure line to the rack.
Think I can get a 90* elbow on there and go back under the ALT down to the rack but it'll be tight.

Image 3 another shot of the feed from the reservoir. Tough to see clearances here though.

Image 4 you can see both fittings.

In the last image... that's the kit. They have the pump mounted the other way, but when I do that, the reservoir fitting sits right next to the back bolt for the upper control arm. If I had another 1/4 inch, no worries... but alas. :huh:

Mounting the reservoir is creating another problem... I'll get to that when this hose situation is under control.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
You're on the right track.

Just find a 90 degree hose end that has the tightest bend.

Is there a different make pump that might have the fittings on the other side of the housing?

Is there a way to rotate the pump with a custom bracket?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a different make pump that might have the fittings on the other side of the housing?
I asked them if they had another pump with this kit... answer: no

Is there a way to rotate the pump with a custom bracket?
The bracket is custom and the I can get four different positions out of it.... the problem is this current position is the only one where neither of the fittings get too close to the A-arm mount or the block.

I sent my previous post to Mark at S&P as well... I'm thinking they have to have had someone in my predicament. Mark is super cool and helpful. He said he would make any custom line I needed... including adding a hard line that could wrap around the pump to get me where I need to be. I'll see what he replies next week and post it.

I'm thinking a really tight 90* will work for the reservoir line but I may have to put the line in before installing the pump, so the fitting will clear the idler wheel mount, then reinstall the pump. Really easy as long as the 90 can be tight enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts