Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out of town recently and went on line from my daughter's home. There was a posting concerning trying to use a rear steer, right hand drive (English, Korean, or Australian), center-take-off rack & pinion gear in a US style left hand drive, front steer application. I can no longer find the posting.

I didn't have my information with me at the time. I now can provide some Saginaw part numbers and applications for the RHD style, CTO, R&P gears.

JIML82

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Hey man, glad you spotted that, thought the topic had died....

please post away on that....good information for hotrodders....

:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bottom line is that you can take a right hand drive, rear steer (steering arms behind the front wheel centerline), center-take-off rack & pinion gear flip it over and place it so that it attaches to front steer steering arms (arms forward of the front wheel centerline).

Saginaw Steering Gear manufactured literally millions of the rear steer, right hand drive, CTO, power, R&P gears for Saab, Opel, DAC, and Daewoo. They all had the same housing and mounting points. (I am relatively sure that the mounting for the RHD gears were a mirror image of the LHD, CTO gears that we are all so familiar with (i.e. Steeroids).) They were used on the GM world wide version of the Opel T-car in the 90s and early 2000s. Possibly some of our overseas friends can supply more information on the useage.

JIML82

1 - 3 of 3 Posts