Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is for the people who have been there?

im looking to take a drive out there in maybe the next year or so to see a friend and i want to go drive on the salt flats.

what all is involved with it to drive on the salts? like how much? how far? safety requirements? and whatever else you can think of?

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
We just tossed it in 4 wheel drive and started cruising :lookinup:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
ok this is for the people who have been there?

im looking to take a drive out there in maybe the next year or so to see a friend and i want to go drive on the salt flats.

what all is involved with it to drive on the salts? like how much? how far? safety requirements? and whatever else you can think of?
Give it a few days and if he doesn't answer you might shoot Pat an email or PM. Or Aaron Pfadt as well. Both of them have run the flats. There are some threads here about it that might answer your question.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're refering to the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, then I believe you'll find the answers to all of your questions here: http://www.saltflats.com/

I've never gone out there, but I suggest that you tape up all of your leading edges. The salt is course and it scratches paint.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would suggest going in August or september. the conditions are best for the salt then. and speed trials are in August so they have the salt prepped then (smooth).

All you have to do drive out there its an open national park. Here is a video of the wife and I in our 01 coupe on the salt in 2001.

on the salt

Actualy the Salt is wet and more of a spray, and sticks to every thing...:laughing:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats awesome.

i went on their website and it looks like u gotta have a bunch of safety equipment and stuff?

im confused lol. :huh:

so you are saying that you can just go out there and run it without having to worry about the safety stuff?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
thats awesome.

i went on their website and it looks like u gotta have a bunch of safety equipment and stuff?

im confused lol. :huh:

so you are saying that you can just go out there and run it without having to worry about the safety stuff?
The saltflats can be reserved and used by any one. If you attend one of the organized events, I think there are about 4 a year, you have to follow their rules.

If you go at a time there are no events its just open public land and you are on your own.

If you want to get a timing slip for bragging rights you will have to follow the timing associations rules and you will be limited to I believe 150 mph.

If your need more info PM me your phone number an I will be glad to call and chat with you about this. As there are allot of rumors and wrong information about Bonneville floating around out there.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok sounds good. well for now i think im good on the info, if i think of some questions i will let ya know. im sure i will have some more when the time gets closer.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Cool thread :thumbsup: thanks for all the information. I did not know about being able to use the flats. This is something going on my bucket list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts