Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what the press has said the Cadillac XLR is the same platform as the Corvette C6. I sat in one yesterday at a dealer (they are getting $100K for the car).

Here are the takeaways:
1) Exhaust is different than a C5 (Mufflers are straight behind the tailpipes not sideways like a C5.) The muffler pipes also come straight back from the exhaust and not up and over the axle like a C5.

2) Wheelbase is noticeably longer and should be the same as a C6. PROBLEM is that the legroom is just as tight or tighter than a C5.

3) Overall a really incredible looking car and the C6 should be equally as good looking!

Go Yanks!

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
:thumbsup: i bet it was plushssssssss..

B

·
0 Posts
Ive been in an XLR as well. The interior is AWESOME compared to my C5.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i might just pass on a c6,(i really like the C5 body style)super-charge my car,then get a killer used XLR in a couple year's...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reply to XLR finish (C6 brother)

Originally posted by Patrick96LT4 ...<br>
How is the fit and finish, and does the interior look cheap?<br>
The XLR overall is really incredible looking. The magazine pictures do not do it justice. The paint is very nice (equivalent to what you would see on a Mercedes SL500). The car is much meaner looking when you see it in person as well, glancing down at the hood and headlights from the top side reminds you of a jet fighter type of look. I actually prefer the XLRs tail over a C5 because it has a bumper section seperated from the license plate and trunk lid area. It prevents the "big butt look" of a C5.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More XLR features we want for C6

Originally posted by hawaii-5-lo ...<br>
:thumbsup: i bet it was plushssssssss..<br>
The XLRs interior is a 10 compared to a 5 on Corvette C5. This is just my humble opinion. In my perfect world a C6 would have a wooden steering wheel (in the middle section) and carbon fiber with aluminum accents everywhere. I really dislike teh C5 "rubbermaid" interior style. I love the XLRs interior and it also has some features that I would LOVE to see on Vettes:
Here they are:
1) XLR has keyless fob for driving (no leys banging your knees and scratching the dash.
2) To get in and out you touch buttons (almost like setting a microwave) whick I REALLY like.
3)Heated and Air conditiooned seats (this would make a C6 a much better car for us in the North)
4)Multi Toned interior with Navigation. How BAD ASS would it be to have a LCD glowing C6 logo on your dash when you pick your friends up. The Cadillac CTS has it now with a new caddy logo and it looks INCREDIBLE.

Go Vette!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by hawaii-5-lo ...<br>
i might just pass on a c6,(i really like the C5 body style)super-charge my car,then get a killer used XLR in a couple year's...:thumbsup:<br>
I getting the first red convertible C6 offered. ANyone know if the C6 convertible will be offered with the C6 hardtp in 2005? Or do I need to wait until 2006? (2006 would be WAY to long of a wait for me)

·
Registered
1 Posts
First things first, this is my first post. I am a HUGE fan, but have never been in the position to own a Corvette. I live near the factory and watch the truck loads coming out every day and I just sit and cry. I am envious of you all.

But, things are changing and if the Lord wills it, 2004 will be the year of the Corvette for me.

The reason for the reply is something that I heard yesterday. I have a friend who owns a couple of Corvettes and is also anxiously waiting more details on the C6. He lives in Detroit and has a friend on the design team who has revealed that they are working on a retractable hardtop version similar to the XLR. I have also been in an XLR and would agree with all the posts regarding what an incredible car it is.

Only downside on the retractable hardtop is that (according to the dealer) you must have the engine running to do it. I started to retract it with just the switch engaged and he stopped me. He said that you can usually do it once, but it is such a drain on the battery that the car won't start afterwards. They found that out the hardway.

Another option on the XLR that is likely to make it to the C6 will be the keyless entry and keyless start. The keyfob sends a signal to the computer allowing it to start. As long as you have the fob in your pocket it will start. On the XLR there is no key, not even one as a backup.

The ONLY negative that I found in my experience with the XLR was that once the roof is retracted into the trunk there is no room for anything, not even a set of golf clubs. Cadillac is anticipating some complaints on that and already have a standard set of replies ready for their sales staff.

BTW, the cost of the model that I drove was only $77k.

Rick - E-Dad USA

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Originally posted by jerseyvette ...<br>
I getting the first red convertible C6 offered. ANyone know if the C6 convertible will be offered with the C6 hardtp in 2005? Or do I need to wait until 2006? (2006 would be WAY to long of a wait for me)<br>
the vert is SUPPOSED to be released at the same time as the coupe. :thumbsup:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Re: More XLR features we want for C6

The XLRs interior is a 10 compared to a 5 on Corvette C5. This is just my humble opinion. In my perfect world a C6 would have a wooden steering wheel (in the middle section) and carbon fiber with aluminum accents everywhere. I really dislike teh C5 "rubbermaid" interior style. I love the XLRs interior and it also has some features that I would LOVE to see on Vettes:
Here they are:
1) XLR has keyless fob for driving (no leys banging your knees and scratching the dash.
2) To get in and out you touch buttons (almost like setting a microwave) whick I REALLY like.
3)Heated and Air conditiooned seats (this would make a C6 a much better car for us in the North)
4)Multi Toned interior with Navigation. How BAD ASS would it be to have a LCD glowing C6 logo on your dash when you pick your friends up. The Cadillac CTS has it now with a new caddy logo and it looks INCREDIBLE.

Go Vette!<br>
leave the heated seats and the navigation on the luxury models...add too much weight to the car....and with the retractiable hard top...don't want it...way too heavy and the C5 top is excellent....one person can do it in about 30 seconds.....

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: Reply to XLR finish (C6 brother)

I actually prefer the XLRs tail over a C5 because it has a bumper section seperated from the license plate and trunk lid area. It prevents the "big butt look" of a C5.<br>
Guess where everyone was while I was taking these photos? That's right, outside looking at my Z06. It's a good thing I've bought vehicles from these guys or I would have gotten beat to death.

·
Registered
662 Posts
1) Exhaust is different than a C5 (Mufflers are straight behind the tailpipes not sideways like a C5.) The muffler pipes also come straight back from the exhaust and not up and over the axle like a C5.

Ray

·
Registered
662 Posts
I sat in one yesterday at a dealer (they are getting $100K for the car).
They are getting sticker here, $76,200. Must be a recession. Note the 2.93:1 rear axle ratio.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I work at a carwash and we get th best cars around... for example tie domi from the Toronto Maple Leafs brings his ferrari there. anyway we got an XLR in and as I was vaccuming it I had a close encounter w/ the power seats and the wires hang out now this might not concern many of you but its still a lack of effort on GM's part and other cars like the M and the SL 500 have a plastic casing over it. well I know that I am looking for mistakes but based on the interior thats the only one! so I guess thats a pro!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: More XLR features we want for C6

In my perfect world a C6 would have a wooden steering wheel (in the middle section) and carbon fiber with aluminum accents everywhere. I really dislike teh C5 "rubbermaid" interior style.
Yeah, I fondly remember the exquiste interior on the '92 model.

I'm trying to visualize a wooden steering wheel (in the middle section) and the air bag deploying..."Honest Doc, I was not going down on a teak tree!"

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by Fenwick ...<br>
I work at a carwash and we get th best cars around... for example tie domi from the Toronto Maple Leafs brings his ferrari there. anyway we got an XLR in and as I was vaccuming it I had a close encounter w/ the power seats and the wires hang out now this might not concern many of you but its still a lack of effort on GM's part and other cars like the M and the SL 500 have a plastic casing over it. well I know that I am looking for mistakes but based on the interior thats the only one! so I guess thats a pro!<br>
What model Ferrari does Domi own? Does it have the F1 paddles?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts