1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
You mean spot the problems other than the top cover leaking, the dirty splines and the ooze around the shaft?

:thud:

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
You mean spot the problems other than the top cover leaking, the dirty splines and the ooze around the shaft?

:thud:
if it goes for less than 50 bucks still probably worth it.

i will probably pick a used unit up off a low mileage steeroid conversion eventually. Still plenty of life left at core prices.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
if it goes for less than 50 bucks still probably worth it.

i will probably pick a used unit up off a low mileage steeroid conversion eventually. Still plenty of life left at core prices.
TV, you want one, you got it, PM me...better to email....

I bet shipping is a bitch though.....it's not much miles since rebilled, but in fact I can't swear to as provenance....same with link and the idler arm...

the rest is hardly worth shipping though....valves and all that heavy iron crap...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
What's wrong ? The seller says it's used and he sells it "as core" and "as is"

The seller doesn't say that it works like a new one.... I don't see anything wrong with this auction, especially not at $25 starting bid... it's not like he's saying this is a rare 1966 box and it's worth $3000 :laughing:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

I bet shipping is a bitch though.....it's not much miles since rebilled, but in fact I can't swear to as provenance....same with link and the idler arm...

the rest is hardly worth shipping though....valves and all that heavy iron crap...
I bet shipping wouldn't be over 20 dollars fed ex. I have many leafs shipped for 20 dollars. 2 truck ones where 50 dollars though.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
:agree: adjustment screw is buried (as in beyond adjustment limit)
I agree that this unit is at the end of its life cycle and the seller did an awesome job trying to take the photos at an angle that doesn't show how low the screw is sitting below the lock nut... IF he tried.... seriously, I think if the seller was trying to rip somebody off he (or she) would have backed off the adjustment screw for the photo.... and started the auction at $800 or so....

I totally agree that the steering box is pretty much done and needs a good rebuild but I don't see the seller trying to rip someone off ... not at $25 starting bid....

·
Banned
1,311 Posts

Gene,

can you hang on to it for me? Maybe i'll come down to Florida and pick it up.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting reponses. First I should say I really didn't intend on picking on this one guy it was just a good post to use. Many times I have been sent boxes like this from guys who paid $100-$200 for them, not knowing what they got. This box is shot. It's worth about $15, about what it would cost to ship it.

The gears are bad-screw buried, the aluminum cover was used from 69-82 not 63-68 If a C2 guy didn't know and bought it then not only the cover but the splines on the input would not be the same. The rag would not fit and the part would be "wrong" for the era. The E 69's used the fine 360* spline like the earlier cars but the L69-82 didn't.

The pitman shaft threads are beat up as well.

To fix this box right, it would cost between $420-$520 on top of the purchase price- not a good deal.

I posted to use as a guide to give some thought on buying used parts off an auction web site. Again not to hurt this guy but rather to help other corvette owners. I am open to opinion, if a post such as this is not considered a value then let me know and I won't use one like this in the future.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Interesting reponses.

The gears are bad-screw buried,
I posted to use as a guide to give some thought on buying used parts off an auction web site. Again not to hurt this guy but rather to help other corvette owners.

does this mean I don`t win a FREE GTR1999 custom diff rebuild???????

....redvetracr :rolling:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No but I just got in some bumper stickers! send me your address and I'll mail you one!

·
Registered
879 Posts

I posted to use as a guide to give some thought on buying used parts off an auction web site. Again not to hurt this guy but rather to help other corvette owners. I am open to opinion, if a post such as this is not considered a value then let me know and I won't use one like this in the future.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, this thread, like the others you post, are invaluable to us.
Where else can we get the straight and skinny info?
Keep them coming!:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts