Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices going up I've heard a lot of comments about buying a fuel efficient econ-box beater as a daily driver. Does this truly save you any money? Once you factor in the cost of the car (lets say $2000) insurance ($500/yr) and maintenance ($500/yr). Does this factor into the decision to "save money" on gas? I mean given the costs of just driving the Corvette, that if driven to conserve, isn't that bad on fuel. I would think cost of gas would have to be $7+ a gallon before you would notice any savings. Once you figure in the above mentioned costs I would think it would take a very very long time to have any true savings from this. I hear it about guys that buy motorcycles all the time. Saying "I bought it to save gas" I would think that to be even worse. A brand new bike at $10K+ and then insurance and maintenance. I just don't see where the true saving is. I can understand buying an econo-box for a winter or bad weather car, but to save gas.....I just don't believe there is any saving to be had that way. Any thoughts?

I have a company vehicle with fuel costs paid, but I was just curious.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a 95 eagle talon for $275.00, seriously and its in good shape, it just needed alot of engine and transmission repairs, this was easy for me to fix because im a tech. I have about $700.00 total in it and its my daily driver to work and back which is about 70 miles a day. I can fill it up on monday and drive it all week on one tank full (15.9 gallons) and it keeps miles off my Jeep GC and my eventual Corvette also which will stay in the garage with the Jeep. My Talon is a car that I could care less where I park it, when I wash it and who cares if it gets hail damage or door dings, thats its purpose, kinda of a beater. I think its totally worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
It all depends on what you currently drive versus what you plan to add. My boss has a 30 mile commute each way to work. His normal vehicle was a V10 Ram that got about 9 mpg. He purchased an '87 Bertone with low miles for around $1500 early last year. It gets low 30's in his commute. Including maintenance cost and initial purchase cost, he has already paid for it in fuel savings.

Conversely, I only live 2 miles from work. The only way I can save fuel cost is by walking or riding a bike(which isn't much of a concern when I could drive his Ram to work every day and still only use 2.5 gallons per week). I ride my bike many times just for the little bit of health benefit I get out of it. I could drive a tank to work and still not save much by buying an extra Honda.

I'd say that everyone should do the math in their particular situation. Many environmentalists have a skewed perception of what helps the environment. I've often said that I'm a closet tree hugger, but a rational one. If I drive the 'vette to work every day and get 16mpg instead of buying an extra car that would get me 40mpg, I'm still doing the right thing for my situation. I'm more concerned about all the pollution from the metal smelting making the extra car than I am the .2 gallons of fuel I use each day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your right RTGordon, there isnt much you could do, wish my commute was as short as yours. I also have a Motorcycle thats gets even better mileage then the Talon, but its made for carving up back roads, not commuting, and if I used it for daily commuting it would eat up tires and send me to the chiropractor for back pain from being bent over all the time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm gonna drive my vette everyday until I get a newer vette. I don't care if gas gets to $10 a gallon. I'll just start taking bologna sandwiches to work. You never know when your last day my come. I don't ever want to think my last day was spent driving a beater when I could have been driving a sexy vette.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I bought a Vette to save on gas from my DD expedition (14mpg). :D No, not really. But the Vette is way better on gas than the Expedition

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My Vette is certainly a DD.

Want to save some real gas money?

Buy a motorcycle, I ride a '99 Honda Shadow 600 at least half of the week. 45 MPG and $75 for the whole year in insurance.

Assuming 12k miles annually, 17 mpg in the Vette, that's about $2k a year, gas alone.

Same stats, 1/2 and 1/2 for me; $400 (bike) + $1k (Vette)

I don't include insurance and bike maintenance cost because of the money I save on the Vette's maintenance which breaks even.

So for me it comes to about a $600 savings a year, plus I save miles on the Vette, have a bike for fun weekends and save on insurance with multiple policy discounts.

Granted, it's not as big of a savings with a car but, it's still practical.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i think if you buy a corvette and then go so far as to drive a piece of crap to save gas and not put miles on the vette, then you have missed the point of owning a corvette entirely and own what i've heard referred to on this forum as a very large, very expensive model car. my boat, with a 150 hp outboard gets about 3 miles to the gallon, you play...you pay

neil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts