Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Wouldn't this battery scam apply to all locations? :huh:
"Scam" might be a little strong at this point.

I'd say that poor testing equipment has more to do with this than anything else.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I would call Walmart on it! I would even email headquarters with your results and point fingers at their process. They need people with no skill to do skill jobs like test batteries. They purchase a machine that spits out numbers based on "Made On Date" and not actual data, which is BS.

I have an AC Delco in my '03 Chevy Venture that is original with no problems and we get to -40 degrees plus windchill and it sits outside. That is a 10 year old battery. I'll buy a new one when it stops holding a charge. Why throw money down the drain? :huh:
It's possible that the made on date wasn't what caused a change in the results. It could be that the tester is not very stable and that two tests simply gave two different results. That's not to say there isn't a problem. It's kind of like medicine. If two tests give two very different results, it's time to get a third opinion. And in a case like this, it should involve a different testing machine.

I went through this over the weekend with an Autozone battery out of my Dad's 98 Cadillac. It is less than two years old and the car only gets driven about once a week. I got in it to start it and click, click, click. I figured bad battery from disuse, so I pulled it and took it to Autozone. It tested completely discharged, and after a 30 minute charging tested good. The DIC has not shown anything wrong with the charging system, so I'm guessing a car door got left open for a week or two and drained it. I could get the alternator tested, but since I am always the one driving it (when he needs to go somewhere -- 89 years old and can't drive or get in and out of a Vette :laughing:) , I charged it up and am just going to drive it a while. I don't think there will be any more trouble.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Moral of the story is don't have a untrained union grunt do the work of a trained professional. :thumbsup:
No wal-mart employees are union !!! Biggest rats around. Second- union workers are among the highest trained professionals out there. With that said I am sure that is not the way you had intended that to sound.:thumbsup: Without unions there would be no 40hr work week, paid vacations, health benifits, retirement plans, minimum wage etc., etc., etc. Be thankful this country has unions or we would all be mere puppets of the rich and wealthy. Sorry but I had to resond to this.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
It's possible that the made on date wasn't what caused a change in the results. It could be that the tester is not very stable and that two tests simply gave two different results. That's not to say there isn't a problem. It's kind of like medicine. If two tests give two very different results, it's time to get a third opinion. And in a case like this, it should involve a different testing machine.

I went through this over the weekend with an Autozone battery out of my Dad's 98 Cadillac. It is less than two years old and the car only gets driven about once a week. I got in it to start it and click, click, click. I figured bad battery from disuse, so I pulled it and took it to Autozone. It tested completely discharged, and after a 30 minute charging tested good. The DIC has not shown anything wrong with the charging system, so I'm guessing a car door got left open for a week or two and drained it. I could get the alternator tested, but since I am always the one driving it (when he needs to go somewhere -- 89 years old and can't drive or get in and out of a Vette :laughing:) , I charged it up and am just going to drive it a while. I don't think there will be any more trouble.
How long had the car sat idle without driving. Merely starting and letting it idle wont usually charge the battery. They will also discharge over time with no use. I have heard numbers as high as 1% per week. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Buyer beware.
First let me say that if my logic is faulty please tell me and I'll pull this. The logic is--Even though the age might affect its capacity it shouldn't matter for a test. Either it is good or bad; No matter the age.
If you find it valid... Please make this go viral!

The story..
My Cadillac CTS turned 50K miles. So I thought I'd have the battery checked. I pulled it out of the trunk and went to Wal-Mart In Oldsmar Florida.

The battery is the stock AC Delco #8542 48-7yr.

There is no sticker for age on the battery. The technician asked the age. I told him input 12/08.. Even though the age might affect its capacity it shouldn't matter for a test. He tested it.
The results are the receipt on the right. Bad battery, 12.76 volts, 557CCA out of 730CCA. By this he said I should replace it.
I asked him to input a different year. We chose 12/10.
The results: Good Battery 12.73V 675CCA out of 730 CCA.

Please note the time on the left receipt. It is one minute later. No adjustments were made to the cable connections. Also note I am not faulting the kid working at Wal-Mart. And please don’t make this about I shouldn’t have gone to Wal-Mart in the first place—thousands of people do. And Yes, I’d be willing to swear to this in a court of law.

So Is this a scam or am I faulty in my logic?
for some reason GM only warranties its 7 year batteries for 3 years or 36,000 miles in any new GM car. my new 2008 corvette battery lasted just over the 3/36,000. one day i went on a 400 mile trip the next day the battery only showed a little over 10 volts and needed a jumper to get the corvette started. the battery had one dead cell. i have had delco batteries last 11 years and took them out just to be safe.

·
Banned
2,749 Posts
I like to use the phrase " Knowledgeable & informed individual".

Professional has been so over used & misrepresented the last 20 years.

Anyhow, there is a Rumor going around that Most Auto & Light Truck batteries are now manufactured in china.
A few like Optima are now made in Mexico.
A large majority of batteries used to be made in Rockford, IL for companies like Interstate Batteries. With the recession, I am pretty sure they are now gone.
Can not confirm, but I have heard GM Delco batteries are shipped from overseas.
Has quality gone down ?
Up to all us to keep tabs & use correct battery testing procedures.

The Red top Opitma in my 87 is going on 3 years old. Made in Mexico. So far so good. I put a battery maintenance charger on it every 2 weeks when not driven.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As stated the correct way to test a battery's capacity is with a load tester.

For a battery to last 4 years in FL is uncommon, heat kills them. The best ambient temp for battery life is 40 degrees.
In FL battery's will sulphate. A sulphated battery has lost the ability to deep charge & carries a surface charge. If the engine fails to fire on the first try the battery will fail on the second try.

There is only one way to test for a sulphated battery. The load test will indicate that the battery is weak. Normal procedure is to charge the battery with 30 amps for 10 minutes then retest the load capacity. While charging monitor the battery voltage. If it exceeds 16V while recharging the battery is sulphating & needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts

Anyhow, there is a Rumor going around that Most Auto & Light Truck batteries are now manufactured in china.
A large majority of batteries used to be made in Rockford, IL for companies like Interstate Batteries. With the recession, I am pretty sure they are now gone.
Has quality gone down ?

The Red top Opitma in my 87 is going on 3 years old. Made in Mexico. So far so good. I put a battery maintenance charger on it every 2 weeks when not driven.
....be careful, don't get bit in the butt...:D

...."Knowledgeable & informed individual's"....don't get caught up in rumor...:laughing:

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
As stated the correct way to test a battery's capacity is with a load tester.

For a battery to last 4 years in FL is uncommon, heat kills them. The best ambient temp for battery life is 40 degrees.
In FL battery's will sulphate. A sulphated battery has lost the ability to deep charge & carries a surface charge. If the engine fails to fire on the first try the battery will fail on the second try.

There is only one way to test for a sulphated battery. The load test will indicate that the battery is weak. Normal procedure is to charge the battery with 30 amps for 10 minutes then retest the load capacity. While charging monitor the battery voltage. If it exceeds 16V while recharging the battery is sulphating & needs to be replaced.
...is that true for dashboard gauges that indicate higher
than 16, I have seen on my gauge from time to time but
have not had a problem with it.....:huh:

·
Registered
182 Posts
...is that true for dashboard gauges that indicate higher
than 16, I have seen on my gauge from time to time but
have not had a problem with it.....:huh:
Vette gauges tend to read high & are not an indicator of actual readings. Like your car my volt meter reads high, I use it to insure the system is functioning not how well it is functioning.

Key on read the volts, start engine. If the volt reading is higher than the key on reading the system is charging.

You cannot test for a sulphated battery using the vehicle electrical system.

Test volts across the battery using an analog or digital volt meter. Engine off 12.4 - 12.6V = ok. Engine running @ 2000 rpm accessories off mid 14V range ok. If 15+ volts replace the regulator in the alternator. Continous overcharging (15V +) will kill a battery. Not instantly but gradually.

·
Sir Dude
17,444 Posts

Has quality gone down ?

I hate to tell you but the above about interstate is all false, I live close to a large Interstate battery plant that makes both lead acid and AGM batteries. My neighbor works for them. They run 3 shifts a day and are alive and well in the good old USA.

·
Banned
2,749 Posts
I hate to tell you but the above about interstate is all false, I live close to a large Interstate battery plant that makes both lead acid and AGM batteries. My neighbor works for them. They run 3 shifts a day and are alive and well in the good old USA.
:thud::cheers:

Are they making the Optima Red Top & Yellow Top AGM batteries there also to your knowledge ?

The original Optima Red Tops made in the USA lasted up to 15 years from some old Auto Forum Posts I have read. By the time I decided to buy a Red Top, made in Mexico.
So far so good.

·
Sir Dude
17,444 Posts
Vette gauges tend to read high & are not an indicator of actual readings. Like your car my volt meter reads high, I use it to insure the system is functioning not how well it is functioning.

Key on read the volts, start engine. If the volt reading is higher than the key on reading the system is charging.

You cannot test for a sulphated battery using the vehicle electrical system.

Test volts across the battery using an analog or digital volt meter. Engine off 12.4 - 12.6V = ok. Engine running @ 2000 rpm accessories off mid 14V range ok. If 15+ volts replace the regulator in the alternator. Continous overcharging (15V +) will kill a battery. Not instantly but gradually.
Where do you get these facts??? I have owned 5 vettes and have not hat one that read high when tested? As a mater of fact I have driven Chevrolet's for the last 50 years and have never see a Chevy Volt or Amp gauge read high when tested with a Fluke volt or Amp meter

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
:thud::cheers:

Are they making the Optima Red Top & Yellow Top AGM batteries there also to your knowledge ?

The original Optima Red Tops made in the USA lasted up to 15 years from some old Auto Forum Posts I have read. By the time I decided to buy a Red Top, made in Mexico.
So far so good.
.....:laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Where do you get these facts??? I have owned 5 vettes and have not hat one that read high when tested? As a mater of fact I have driven Chevrolet's for the last 50 years and have never see a Chevy Volt or Amp gauge read high when tested with a Fluke volt or Amp meter

Empirical evidence.

If you have had factory analog gauges that are spot on you are indeed a lucky man.

Manufacturing design specifications limit products to a certain
+ (plus) - (minus) specification. 2 gauge senders from an identical batch that test & pass design spec limits with one passing on the +(plus) side of specs & the other passing on the
-(minus) side of spec will cause a different reading on the same analog gauge.

I consider all factory analog gauge operation to be similar to a fuel gauge. They let you know you have something but not exactly how much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tbbt - In the past I have had two batteries fail without any indication that they were getting weak. The cars started fine at home
but a few hours after I parked them they didn't have enough power to unlock the doors. I once saw Pat Goss on Motorweek allude
to that being the nature of modern batteries but he didn't explain why. Can you shed any light on that?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts