Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
I just bought the basic code reader that Autozone sells. I wasn't needing anything that did fancy tricks but they have nicer ones there that allow realtime monitering while driving.

·
Registered
982 Posts
how much are you looking to spend, I have a snapon scanner for sale for a good price that will work. You can read clear codes and look as sensors in real time

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
which snap-on scanner?

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
and which modules does it have? year coverage?

·
Registered
982 Posts
it has 87 to 96 obd1 comunications cartridge

and troubleshooter.

and the global obd2 Cartridge updated to 03 ish

three total.

6 keys for dodge gm ford and toyota

key adapter
obd1 adapter
power adapter
obd2 adapter

·
Registered
982 Posts
keeping the price a secret?

sorry I have no clue what its worth, i peiced it togethor.

heres what i payed for the peices.

main computer, $150
global obd2 module $ 200

obd1 cartridge and trouble shooter cartridge. $100

cable $45

Various adapters $ 100
Keys $75

Not saying thats what I want just what i payed, dont know what its worth to someone.

mabye you can help.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Problem is you have a total of $670 tied up in that thing. At the time of purchase it was brand new and there were a lot of cars out there that could use it. I would imagine that today, that pool would be smaller. So I guess the question is what you are willing to part with it for. If I were a shop, that would not be my core group of customers that I am focusing on. 87-96 cars are not really what the bread and butter of the business is, IMO. Even the 96 would be for a car 15 years old.

Basically for a hobbyist, I don't think you will see more than $100-200, give or take.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The MT2500 can be updated to handle newer vehicles. I have the MT2500 with the programmable cartridges up to and including 2004 asian, domestic and european.I'm not sure how far the updates go. You can find the scanner and older cartridges on ebay for a reasonable price. :cheers:

·
Registered
982 Posts
The MT2500 can be updated to handle newer vehicles. I have the MT2500 with the programmable cartridges up to and including 2004 Asian, domestic and European.I'm not sure how far the updates go. You can find the scanner and older cartridges on ebay for a reasonable price. :cheers:
It will work on anything up till 2008 as far as engines go the reason for updating is the other systems in the cars like seat modules, body control modules ...as long as th car has an obd2 engine ecu this will work thats what the global obd2 cartridge is. Its a generic reader that allows for real time reading thats why the cartridge it self cost 500 from snap on I got it used for 250 ..... if you get the programmable cartridge the sky is the limit you can go up to 2011 but you are limited to certain things. because it older hardware even though you can communicate with all of the moduels.....these scanners are great for the price even if you pay $800 for one you can read graphs clear and read engine codes and look at real time engine data, thats awesome compared to spending $3000 to $5000 on a modern scanner from matco snap on or spx.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've got an Actron that covers all OBD1 and 2. Good scanner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts