Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to find any clarification on this, so I'm hoping there are some people running this category here. The rules for this class state that you can use an engine other than the one that came with the vehicle as long as the manufacturer is the same. For instance, someone could run an LS1 out of a Trans Am in a Camaro or vice versa. They have several different spec weights for Corvettes depending on engine. My question is this: could someone run an LSx engine out of a later model Corvette in a C4 or do they have to run the L98/LT1/LT4 that was available that particular year? The table in the rules doesn't mention year, only displacement and some engine-specific rules. It gives a minimum weight depending on engine and displacement.

Here are the rules:

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club Forms/2010 Tech Forms/st- JAN.pdf

The table is on page GCR 422.

Any thoughts?
:huh:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't been able to find any clarification on this, so I'm hoping there are some people running this category here. The rules for this class state that you can use an engine other than the one that came with the vehicle as long as the manufacturer is the same. For instance, someone could run an LS1 out of a Trans Am in a Camaro or vice versa. They have several different spec weights for Corvettes depending on engine. My question is this: could someone run an LSx engine out of a later model Corvette in a C4 or do they have to run the L98/LT1/LT4 that was available that particular year? The table in the rules doesn't mention year, only displacement and some engine-specific rules. It gives a minimum weight depending on engine and displacement.
The table is on page GCR 422.Any thoughts?
:huh:
I haven't seen any one race that C4/LS1 combination. I think the homologation is within corvette generation as the outline shows (L98 Lt1 Lt4) for a C4. I have a 5.7 in my C6 and have to come off track at 3135# which is lower weight than if I had a 6.0L in the car. That is a good question however. Lots of interest in the class however SCCA just keeps changing things and we will have to see where it all goes. I think that is why turn out is low for the runoffs. BMW is the fastest right now.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think it's worth writing in for a clarification? As it stands, you can still produce the target horsepower easily from an LT4, especially since 383's are specifically allowed with the L98, LT1, and LT4. Doesn't necessarily mean it would make you competitive, but it could work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts