Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
31,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The real money is in the pot.. :laughing:

Marijuana Crushes Grapes as Cash Crop

The most persuasive argument for legalizing pot might just be a dollar sign.

California's pot crop is worth $14 billion, according to a state report. The Press Democrat points out that crushes the wine crop which comes in at $2 billion.

Legalization would be a huge shot in the arm for plenty of ancillary industries, such as banking and construction.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the federal government would crack down. That risk might make investors too skittish to get involved. Earlier this month, Attorney General Eric Holder announced that the government would continue its dangerous raids.

Some regions, such as Mendocino County, have leaned on pot agriculture as other industries dried up. It's estimated that at least half of that county's economy depends on cultivation of the plant.

The only sure thing is that there's no sure thing. Marijuana legalization is uncharted territory. Or at least, it's uncharted in this country. Other countries have managed to figure it out, but here in The Land of the Free, we've clung to prohibition.

Earlier, the state estimated that it could rake in $1.4 billion in taxes if Prop 19 passes, but they've since backed off that estimate, claiming that there are too many unknown variables. Prop 19 would allow each individual municipality to set its own pot regulations, which some detractors have said will create an unwieldy patchwork of laws. Coincidentally, most of those who oppose legalization are those who make money from prohibition: law enforcement agencies and the alcohol industry.

Meanwhile, the San Francisco Patient and Resource Center has established a gleaming treatment center for medical usage. The attractive, safe space has turned into big business, luring patients from around the city by offering extras like meditation classes, social events, and art.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/prop-zero/Marijuana-Crushes-Grapes-as-Cash-Crop-105288093.html?dr

· Registered
14,241 Posts
The real money is in the pot.. :laughing:

Marijuana Crushes Grapes as Cash Crop

The most persuasive argument for legalizing pot might just be a dollar sign.

California's pot crop is worth $14 billion, according to a state report. The Press Democrat points out that crushes the wine crop which comes in at $2 billion.

Legalization would be a huge shot in the arm for plenty of ancillary industries, such as banking and construction.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the federal government would crack down. That risk might make investors too skittish to get involved. Earlier this month, Attorney General Eric Holder announced that the government would continue its dangerous raids.

Some regions, such as Mendocino County, have leaned on pot agriculture as other industries dried up. It's estimated that at least half of that county's economy depends on cultivation of the plant.

The only sure thing is that there's no sure thing. Marijuana legalization is uncharted territory. Or at least, it's uncharted in this country. Other countries have managed to figure it out, but here in The Land of the Free, we've clung to prohibition.

Earlier, the state estimated that it could rake in $1.4 billion in taxes if Prop 19 passes, but they've since backed off that estimate, claiming that there are too many unknown variables. Prop 19 would allow each individual municipality to set its own pot regulations, which some detractors have said will create an unwieldy patchwork of laws. Coincidentally, most of those who oppose legalization are those who make money from prohibition: law enforcement agencies and the alcohol industry.

Meanwhile, the San Francisco Patient and Resource Center has established a gleaming treatment center for medical usage. The attractive, safe space has turned into big business, luring patients from around the city by offering extras like meditation classes, social events, and art.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/prop-zero/Marijuana-Crushes-Grapes-as-Cash-Crop-105288093.html?dr
...the banks are ****ed up enough as it is without having
to take a toke break....not to mention what home contructions
are going to look like....:laughing:

· Registered
4,428 Posts
Thats what this country needs, legalized Pot.

Were not messed up enough already.Then

The Nurses, Doctors, Dentists, Teachers, School

kids, School Bus Drivers all stoned out of their

****ing minds. Not to mention the assholes in

Washington planning our next screwing over a

toke break. Then instead of some mom smoking

in the car while shes transporting her kids and

giving them cancer she can just get stoned,

crash and kill the whole brood.

Really ****in' brilliant, not to mention amazing.

· Banned
31,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what this country needs, legalized Pot.

Were not messed up enough already.Then

The Nurses, Doctors, Dentists, Teachers, School

kids, School Bus Drivers all stoned out of their

****ing minds. Not to mention the assholes in

Washington planning our next screwing over a

toke break. Then instead of some mom smoking

in the car while shes transporting her kids and

giving them cancer she can just get stoned,

crash and kill the whole brood.

Really ****in' brilliant, not to mention amazing.
:laughing: /rant off?

Seriously, the reality of the situation is that responsible people will be responsible and irresponsible people will be irresponsible. We don't have hundreds of moms getting liquored up and driving minivans into the oncoming lane. We don't have hundreds of doctors, teachers, nurses getting drunk, like the prohibitionist claimed we would. Never have. The only thing that keeping it illegal does, is fund the drug wars, fund the prison system, fund the court system, etc, all on our tax dime. screw that.. I know people serving time for possession of a fricking weed, how stupid is that?

The only reason MJ is illegal, is because during the depression, Cali, Tex, NM, Ari got together and lobbied the federal government against MJ, as a means to try and push the Mexicans back into Mexico.. epic fail. :laughing:

Pot is already here, has been forever, being legal will not make much of a difference because the deterrent will be much the same as alcohol. You would probably be shocked at how many people you know are tokers, I was. The last thing most tokers want to do while high is drive a car.. or try to work.. :laughing:

· Registered
4,428 Posts
That wasn't a rant or a rave, just fact.

I was in Nam in the 60s, and responsible people
do smoke ****, and I partied my ass off in the 60s,
and responsible people do smoke ****. I'm not
condemming it, just stating a fact as I see it.

I didn't write the thread, that was just my opinion.

About the only thing legalizing might do is keep the
little drug dealers off the street corners cause I can
go buy mine in the grocery store next to the milk
and bread..

· Banned
31,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That wasn't a rant or a rave, just fact.
No offense... :cheers:

I was in Nam in the 60s, and responsible people
do smoke ****, and I partied my ass off in the 60s,
and responsible people do smoke ****. I'm not
condemming it, just stating a fact as I see it.
I understand, but the numbers don't match your statements. People have ready access to alcohol and prescription drugs, which are not much different than MJ, and we don't see people "stoned/drunk/zonked" out of their minds while they work. Sure, there will be some, but getting it off the street corner will be a much better deterrent than prohibition. You and I both know how easy it was to get alcohol back in high school, and now it's extremely hard. But, we could get it at multiple sources without going to a store, same as pot now.

About the only thing legalizing might do is keep the little drug dealers off the street corners cause I can go buy mine in the grocery store next to the milk
and bread..
And that is a big plus. Same as with alcohol and prescription drugs. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

· Registered
4,428 Posts
no offense... :cheers:

I understand, but the numbers don't match your statements. People have ready access to alcohol and prescription drugs, which are not much different than mj, and we don't see people "stoned/drunk/zonked" out of their minds while they work. Sure, there will be some, but getting it off the street corner will be a much better deterrent than prohibition. You and i both know how easy it was to get alcohol back in high school, and now it's extremely hard. But, we could get it at multiple sources without going to a store, same as pot now.

And that is a big plus. Same as with alcohol and prescription drugs. :thumbsup:

:cheers:
okay

· Registered
6,250 Posts
I agree with that it all boils down to responsibility. There are many things besides alcohol and drugs that can be dangerous if not moderated.

Legalization won't affect the people who can control themselves, but it may make it harder for those who can't.

· Registered
19,925 Posts
Legalize it... and be done with it. If they are not drinking and/or taking prescription drugs at work now... sure as hell they will not partake in an action that they can do now, anyway... like getting high.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.