Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver side seat belt in my '01 'vert will not retract. Not sure how it got extended (maybe I was not paying attention) but it will not return to the "unfurled" position. Anyway, before I do irreparable damage to the interior and the belt mechanics, anyone have a thought as to how I can fix this without taking the door sill and surrounding trim off. If I have to take the trim off, where do I start and how do I do it?? Thanks in advance.

Frank

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Sounds like the retractor is shot. Sometimes when you take it apart you can get it to retract again without having to replace it. Either way you'll have to remove the trim pieces.

Uncover the upper guide nut by pushing up at the belt edge of the cover and flipping up the cover.
Remove the nut attaching upper guide.
Remove the washer and spacer from the stud.
Remove the screw attaching the upper lock pillar trim panel.
Remove the upper lock pillar trim panel.
Remove the sill plate trim.
Remove the lower lock pillar trim panel.
Remove the bolt attaching the upper retractor.
Remove the bolt attaching the lower retractor.
Remove the retractor side of the seat belt.

Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pinch,
While I was out looking at how to implement the instructions you sent, my wife yanked on the seat belt (I had been doing that for the past 2 hours) and the damn thing retracted like it was supposed to do!!! Now she thinks I am an idiot......who knows, maybe she is right. Anyway, thanks for the instruction......

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Pinch,
While I was out looking at how to implement the instructions you sent, my wife yanked on the seat belt (I had been doing that for the past 2 hours) and the damn thing retracted like it was supposed to do!!! Now she thinks I am an idiot......who knows, maybe she is right. Anyway, thanks for the instruction......

You need to show her up and take it apart anyway... :laughing:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then I would have to rely on her to put it back together after I screwed it up !!!:smack :rolling: I am not one of the mechanically inclined Corvette owners......the only thing I have in my tool box is my check book!!!:lookinup: Thanks again...
Frank

·
Registered
566 Posts
Consider checking for any recalls / TSB's on the seat belt retractors.
It seems I remember reading something about that somewhere.
It may be year specific.

It is possible the plastic guide on the retractor came loose.

I hope you don't have anymore trouble. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Consider checking for any recalls / TSB's on the seat belt retractors.
It seems I remember reading something about that somewhere.
It may be year specific.

It is possible the plastic guide on the retractor came loose.

I hope you don't have anymore trouble. :thumbsup:

The seatbelt retractor recall affected the 1997 - 1999 C5's, and some early 2000 C5's (not the 2001 model).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts