Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to decide what to do with my interior. Initially I wanted to get some C4 seats, but now Im having second thoughts. Im thinking about getting the Shark bar and some aftermarket seats with harnesses.

My problem is Im having trouble coming up with aftermarket ideas so Im looking for some input. Anybody have aftermarket seats in their C3, or know of any good options?

Also, does anybody know roughly what dimensions I should be looking for?

If I cant find anything I like thatll fit Ill probably just re-cover my stockers.

Please post up any info or pics that you have.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I put a set of 2001 Celica GT cloth seats in my '77.

They were not a direct bolt in...I had to make a few mods, but it was WELL worth it.

Here is a pic of the seat, still in a Celica.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those dont look bad.... I could probably find them at a junk yard and then have them reupholstered how Id like.

What kind of mods did you have to make? Mainly to the sliders/brackets Id assume.

Any pictures of them in your car?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Those dont look bad.... I could probably find them at a junk yard and then have them reupholstered how Id like.

What kind of mods did you have to make? Mainly to the sliders/brackets Id assume.

Any pictures of them in your car?

1st off, I installed them with the plan of adjustability but because the bolsters are wider than stock C3 seats, they do not have room to slide forward as the center console grows wider.

Knowing this, I left the seats on the racks for mounting purposes, but more headroom would be gained by mounting the seats directly to the floors.

The alignment pins at the front had to be cut off, and I removed the rear feet and used a bolt straight down through the top of the track.

The tracks are wider than stock...and I suppose the stock tracks could be mounted on these seats, but basically I re-used the inner front bolt holes and drilled new front outer bolt holes.

The rear ears that the transmission tunnel side panels screw to needed to be trimmed off...no effect on the side panels as they still have the middle and front fasteners.

I had already deleted my under-seat retractors so I covered the space with steel plate under the carpet so the seat tracks had something under them to mount to.

Finally, I wanted to re-use the seat's buckle receivers so I bought a set of universal shoulder belts with retractors, and had some Celica buckles sewn in to replace the ones that came with the kit. I mounted the lower tab on one of the guide bolts for the original lower belt and I installed a side steel plate above the rear wheel well so the universal retractor could be mounted vertically.

Sounds like a lot of work, but I **** you not...these are the BEST seats I have ever sat in in a Corvette. Hours of driving and no pains or soreness at all. They support and keep you centered. Easily one of my favorite mods.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
D_B, how would you compare those to A4 Corbeau in terms of confort?

I have sat in just one set of A4 Cs, and I did like them.

Honestly I like the Celica seats better.

I also like them better than C5 / C6 seats, as well as Fiero and Miata seats which are also popular for C3s.

·
Registered
607 Posts
DB I don't suppose you'd be kind enough to give us the measurements across the base and across the bolsters, (front and rear of the seat bottom)?

how tight is it between the recline lever and the Vette chassis um, step?......it looks very close!

I've been looking at some Subaru leather seats.....they look bloody huge in comparison to the original

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
DB I don't suppose you'd be kind enough to give us the measurements across the base and across the bolsters, (front and rear of the seat bottom)?

how tight is it between the recline lever and the Vette chassis um, step?......it looks very close!

I've been looking at some Subaru leather seats.....they look bloody huge in comparison to the original

I'll measure later today if I can. I have some pics of the track measurements I can post too.

The recline lever is tight against the sill plate but it is free and works perfectly. In fact I do like the recline feature about these seats as they offer quite a few driving position option.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks DB

I see there is a bit of room between the seat and the tunnel to fit the CD wallet....is there much room between the door and the seat bolster?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Thanks DB

I see there is a bit of room between the seat and the tunnel to fit the CD wallet....is there much room between the door and the seat bolster?

Roughly 2" between the door and bolster depending on the condition of the seats and the bolsters.

My seats, luckily, were damn near untouched. Some kid wrecked the Celica these came out of within 5K miles of being bought new. The hardest part of their life was sitting in a salvage yard barn for a few years. LOL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
DB are are you able to move your seats? I want to be able to move my seat one more notch back, but it appears the plastic trim that hides the hinges are hitting the rear wall.

I took a different method of mounting mine. I cut the feet off of the Celica rails. Then I used cardboard to make templates for all four corners to use the stock mounting holes. I cut some 1/8" steel plate, drilled holes in it and welded them to the tracks.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
DB are are you able to move your seats? I want to be able to move my seat one more notch back, but it appears the plastic trim that hides the hinges are hitting the rear wall.

I took a different method of mounting mine. I cut the feet off of the Celica rails. Then I used cardboard to make templates for all four corners to use the stock mounting holes. I cut some 1/8" steel plate, drilled holes in it and welded them to the tracks.

I mounted mine so the standard position is all the way back.

I 'can' move the seats forward if I have to for some reason but it's VERY tight where the transmission tunnel and center console widen.

That being said, I never have the need to move my seats. They're all the way back all the time, and I have no need to change that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got some old 3 piece recaro's, which I modified (the bolsters had to be narrowed about 2 inch's) then recovered in black leather which I think came up quite well.

I used the factory mounts that came with the recaro's which took a weekend to fit, as I had to weld wider mounts on the back of the rails but no big deal. Obviusly I did all this before covering the seats in leather just to be sure it looked right before using 2 cow hides.

Also I took my orignal seat into the upolstorer and got him to follow the same sew lines as the original seat to keep the seat looking a little along the same theme as what was in there except for the all important bolster's which hold you in place around corners. Unlike the original seats.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn! I was waiting for you to say they were for sale lol Those look real nice.

Hey any chance of getting a side view pic of your car? Im curious to see your wheels, I like the deep dish look. What wheels are they?

Great looking Vette by the way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Damn! I was waiting for you to say they were for sale lol Those look real nice.

Hey any chance of getting a side view pic of your car? Im curious to see your wheels, I like the deep dish look. What wheels are they?

Great looking Vette by the way :thumbsup:
here ya go,

I recommend looking for some old recaro's the style really suit a C3 I reckon.

:thumbsup:

btw they are hopsters got them from a real nice guy over your way: Craig @ Radical wheels

·
Registered
607 Posts
Very nice Mick.

Black leather and a style not too disimmilar to that is what I'm after.

BTW I don't suppose you were the gentleman that visited The Australian Maritime College for some tank testing a few years ago are you?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man, Im going crazy :crazy: Theres tooooo many options for seats!

My main ideas are:

a.) Refurb stock 1980 seats, which are pretty comfortable, but do a two-tone red leather/black suede combo.

b.) Get some C4 or C5 seats

c.) Buy some aftermarkets...probably Corbeau, unless I can fine some nice used Recaros.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Man, Im going crazy :crazy: Theres tooooo many options for seats!

My main ideas are:

a.) Refurb stock 1980 seats, which are pretty comfortable, but do a two-tone red leather/black suede combo.

b.) Get some C4 or C5 seats

c.) Buy some aftermarkets...probably Corbeau, unless I can fine some nice used Recaros.

What would you guys do?

I'll probably go with the GTSII corbeau from speed direct when I'm ready....a bit pricey though!
http://cmc.speeddirect.com/customkititems.asp?kc=690-20320-250&eq=

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll probably go with the GTSII corbeau from speed direct when I'm ready....a bit pricey though!
http://cmc.speeddirect.com/customkititems.asp?kc=690-20320-250&eq=
Those are nice, but if I go with aftermarket I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.seatsus.com/images/LG1-25507-main-lg.jpg

Matches the black/red theme of my car.

Or... if I would let myself spend the $$$$$$$ on Recaros I'd get these:

http://www.diseno-art.com/images_3/Recaro_Speed.jpg

·
Registered
607 Posts
Both are very nice....do they have the measurments available.

I know th Corbeau A4 is very narrow to suit the C3....only 18-19" or something.

The seats on speed direct have the bolster narrowed to suit.

The A4 is the racer look your after, try the corbeau website.
They are definately more affordable.....it would be nice to have a sit in them though.
D_B said his Celica seats are much more comfortable than the A4.

Any idea how much a re cover will cost you?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts