Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I got out of the 84' and when I returned I couldnt pull my seatbelt out to buckle up. I thought it was the CINCH button but it is not. The seatbelt is all the way retracted and just wont budge, any ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Mine happened a few months back also. I've asked several people and all of them tell me just buy new ones and didn't give any suggestions. Now my passenger side is starting to do the same thing.

If it's an easy fix then I'll try anything to save $250!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I had a passenger side belt that would not retract properly. I removed the belt assembly, unsnapped the plastic cover and found that a plastic cap that snaps over one end of the spindle of the upper belt assembly had came unsnapped. I re-snapped it and it's fixed! So I say take it out and unsnap the cover and take a look. At this point you have nothing to loose. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
MIne just did that about a month ago on my 87,

I took an alan wrench or a star wrench that would fit and took out the screw that holds the assembly in place underneath it. What I was going to do was take apart the whole assembly, but after i took out the screw the belt came loose. So i just put the screw back and didn't mess with it.

So try taking that screw out and messing with the assembly. I think a quarter fell into the belt slot on mine. good luck

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, looks like im going to start to take it apart and see what happens:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have a set of tan ones that you could dye black. They work fine I just wanted new ones when I redid my interior.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Seat Belt Fiasco

I will probably wait. I couldn't fix a milkshake if I had to use tools. I just got an extended bumper to bumper warranty think I'll let them figure it out.

'08 Guy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seatbelt replacemnt

I once had a seatbelt that malfunctioned on another car of mine and when I took it to the dealership to have it replaced, they replaced it for free because it was a safety issue.

·
I have poor impulse control.
3,813 Posts
I once had a seatbelt that malfunctioned on another car of mine and when I took it to the dealership to have it replaced, they replaced it for free because it was a safety issue.
:agree: There had been a recall for that very problem. I don't "recall" :laughing: which years it was for, but I'm pretty sure most dealers will still replace it for free.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I still haven't fixed mine. :spanked: I know my '86 has no recall on the seatbelts and checked with the dealer only to have them tell me it would cost $xxx to replace them both. :thud:

Sooner or later I'm going to have to take a look and see if it's that little plastic cap causing the same problem on my d/s belt as the OP stated.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I still haven't fixed mine...Sooner or later I'm going to have to take a look and see if it's that little plastic cap causing the same problem on my d/s belt as the OP stated.

I know this sounds funny but check if loose change has fallen into it. I believe thats what was wrong with redmen031's

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I know this sounds funny but check if loose change has fallen into it. I believe thats what was wrong with redmen031's
If time permits I'll be attempting to get at it tomorrow since I'm on vacation until Tuesday. I'll report back with my findings. :thumbsup:

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I had a quarter stuck in the seatbelt box on the floor where it retracts into. First time I fixed the vette and MADE money:laughing:

·
Registered
216 Posts
My driver side seatbelt is stuck. It only comes out to about half my body. Its been like that since I got it:D
Ill look into it this weekend while doeing the cooling stuff.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Yeah I had a quarter stuck in the seatbelt box on the floor where it retracts into. First time I fixed the vette and MADE money
Nice!!!

Well least it's working again. Was meaning to post that my passenger side belt was acting up like that. Just was a matter of getting down to loosening the screw a tad, but I still want to take it apart one day and clean 'er up.

Only issue I have now is both upper belts don't seem to lock. The bottom half will cinch well but in hard turns, the chest half won't catch.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I know my '86 has no recall on the seatbelts and checked with the dealer only to have them tell me it would cost $xxx to replace them both. :thud:
I'm not sure where you heard that, but here is the campaign. It includes '84-part of '91. If the belt is jammed, Chevrolet has to replace it. Quote from the bulletin "Delaers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to owners, regardless of milage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward." The problem with cars as old as ours, many will be worth much more to us than the Bluebook may suggest. GM has a clause that allows them to refund the purchase price less depreciation instead of replacing the belts. I've never heard of this happening though. People in Europe have had their belts replaced under this recall, so I wouldn't be shy about contacting other dealers in your area or the Zone Office. If no joy, thy the NTSB. They would probably be interested. Safety campaigns are for the life of the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts