Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I have poor impulse control.
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sign me up, I can't wait! :lookinup:

If the typical beach vacation – the one where you spend several days on the beach reading bad fiction and soaking up sun – has lost its allure, the Ukraine would like to make a suggestion: come soak up radiation and some real human drama at Chernobyl, the site of the worst nuclear disaster in history. Starting in 2011, the Chernobyl nuclear power plant site and the surrounding “exclusion zone” will be opened to tourists for the first time since the plant’s reactor No. 4 exploded on April 26, 1986, blanketing the area in radiation...

...the Ukraine is now developing safe routes that it plans to open to tourists, offering them a firsthand look at one of the greatest man-made disasters of the nuclear age...

http://www.popsci.com/science/artic...ans-open-chernobyl-disaster-site-tourism-2011

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
Well I cleared Chernobyl of terrorists in Call of Duty, so it should be safe.

Thanks! That was my biggest concern. :thumbsup:

:laughing:

But that sounds like a neat idea, most of the area around the plant has been frozen in time since the meltdown, everything was left in place since the 80's. There are still a handful of people that never left and continue to live alone in the ruins of that city.

Provided I could bring a geiger counter along I would go for it. Too often people let the overblown fear of radiation get in the way of awesome things.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I went through the Chernobyl museum in Keiv. That was very sobering!!! It is up there with Hiroshima in my opinion. I've been to both and both are very mind blowing!

There are Ukrainians that live in the restricted zone, they just do it illegally and do not receive medical care from the government. I don't think I would want to go. It is still burning and the tomb it has been encased in is deteriorating at a rapid rate. There have even been talks about have to re-entomb the reactor.

It is not on my bucket list.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I'll wait for the video on the Travel Channel. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
A little Rad X, some Rad-Away, a dozen Stimpacks, a combat shotgun, some power armor, and a copy of The Wasteland Survival Guide and I'd be up for a trip:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
If your worried about the radioactive zombies then a shotgun is the absolute best anti zombie weapon ever!

Zombies, ghouls, super mutants, radscorpions, a combat shotty is pretty well rounded for those enemies:thumbsup:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
There was a girl, on a motorcycle who used to sneak in there and take pics, etc. She has a website that is interesting. A large city, frozen in time. Looks like something out of a horror movie, toys/dolls/etc still right where they were hurriedly left..

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If I get cancer at some point in my life then i would go. Maybe the radiation will help. :crazy:

There was a girl, on a motorcycle who used to sneak in there and take pics, etc. She has a website that is interesting. A large city, frozen in time. Looks like something out of a horror movie, toys/dolls/etc still right where they were hurriedly left..
Link to girl's website

·
Registered
170 Posts
maybe next life time (i'll go and visit)

are these people (paying) or (getting paid) to go see this

hell no!:crazy:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
...everything was left in place since the 80's. There are still a handful of people that never left and continue to live alone in the ruins of that city.

...and all they do is listen to music by The Cars, INXS and Michael Jackson while they watch reruns of Magnum P.I. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts