Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had one of those funny moments today where I did something without any conscience thought process. The idea never actually formed, nor was there a plan of attack.... but I found myself sitting in the '85 and before I knew it, all my wood dash pieces were pealed out and sitting on the passenger's seat.

:crazy:

It was in fantastic condition, no discolorations or chips. It had its own "classy appeal" but in hindsight it tended to distract my eyes by breaking up the color symmetry of the interior. This is what it looked like:

Spent about 30 mins with a rag and some Goo-Gone to work the glue off the center console. It does a great job, but it is a sloooow process as the 20+ year old glue is in no rush to get lost. To my surprise the original console pieces are in tremendous condition.

I still have quite a bit to do (around the gauge cluster and diagnostic center) but it'll look like new when I'm finished. Ya know, I was suppose to be finishing another project while I was out there... doh!

Added:
*TIP from Sheriffd2

Dave says the 3M Adhesive Remover kicks major tail! It's a bit stronger than the GooGone that I've been using but I'm going to give it a try. Since the plastic I'm using can stand up to a stronger glue-remover the 3M may help ease this process.

I've already noted to take precautions around the dash displays, don't want to get any chemicals on those babies.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I was never a fan of the Wood dash myself. Flat black looks much better, less distracting like you said.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
So are you going to have a complete interior again in time for Carlisle? If you strip out a little more, it will look perfect sitting beside the DC Z.

:laughing:

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts
At one time, I really wanted to get that wood kit, but I guess the appeal wore off over time, I bought new stock pieces instead.:smack

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,388 Posts
Cool! I really don't care for the wood look in a Vette. Cool in a Benz, Bentley or other luxury ride, but a sports car should come off as such, good move Dan-O!

·
Only green will do...
18,403 Posts
How about a nice dark cherry wood that looks nice and i agree it does look a lot nicer in different vehicles but certain vettes it looks nice

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Yep, that was a good move, never cared much for the wood dash, reminds me too much of an old station wagon.:laughing:

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob88 said:
Yep, that was a good move, never cared much for the wood dash, reminds me too much of an old station wagon.
Ya know, I got lots of compliments about the dash. Funniest thing. I will say that whoever originally installed it, did a fantastic job. It's definitely an 80's look and it held it's own but who knows, I did it...it's out. LOL.

So are you going to have a complete interior again in time for Carlisle? If you strip out a little more, it will look perfect sitting beside the DC Z.
No way I'll have all the glue cleaned off before tomorrow. About 30% cleaned, but very tedious and I need to get everything else ready. Huge difference though. Heck, I could take off all the body panels and lather the frame with chunky fried butter and it'd still look perfect next to the DCZ. Ummm chunky fried butter...

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Congrats on the removal of the wood! My first Vette was an 88 and never once did I think of putting that wood kit on it. It cheapens up what was a beautiful dash by itself!:devil:

·
Only green will do...
18,403 Posts
Oh now i see that wood is crappy i thought the wood was a lot nicer i mean really classier yes now i agree definetely a good idea to have removed show us the new picture with what you have done now

·
Banned
82 Posts
yup, you did the right thing. imo the wood look is goofy and looks completely out of place. makes more sense in some old plymouth.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Burn that wood crap!!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Good riddance to that old stuff. You'll like the plain black WAY better. Are all the paint markings for the window switches and seat controls still intact under there on the console?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Good move! I agree that the wood detracts from the looks of the dash.

Steven

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree that the wood detracts from the looks of the dash.
Which isn't much, at that, but yea it at least looks cleaner overall. I'm definitely a "stock look" kind of guy, this suits me well.

*TIP from Sheriffd2

Dave says the 3M Adhesive Remover kicks major tail! It's a bit stronger than the GooGone that I've been using but I'm going to give it a try. Since the plastic I'm using can stand up to a stronger glue-remover the 3M may help ease this process.

I've already noted to take precautions around the dash displays, don't want to get any chemicals on those babies.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts