Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had to smog my 85 today. Smog man failed it, said timing was off 10 degrees. suppose to be 6 btdc, says it is 4 atdc. In addition, CO (emissions) suppose to be .8 at 15mph and .6 at 25mph. Actual was, he says, 3. + on both. OK, went back and set timing to 6 btdc. locked down dist. drove back 2 miles to re-smog. Now smog man says timing is 6 Atdc, like I can't set timing. Here is the kicker, the emissions are now well in line at .03 at 15mph and similar at 25mph. So, at 10 degrees out of time emissions were way out of line, but at 12 degrees out of time emissions are way under the CO limits. Can any body out there familiar with CA smog stuff explain this to me? I think smog man is full of it. Will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
smog, yuk!

Yes, the timing was supposedly off. The first time ok, the second time I don't think so, but smog man says it is still off. How hard is it anyway? This morning I will take it to a friends shop and let him check the timing. To see if I'm right on the timing.
The other point of failure was emissions, CO% on the sheet, first it was 3.0+ on a max of .8. Then, according to smog man, while the timing was off yet another 2 degrees (that's 12 degrees total if you are counting) the CO% mysteriously came down to great levels of .03. Go figure. Today, the car is going to a smog shop in Rosemead. A friend there will see what's up. oh yeah, the HC was fine on both tests. Florida is warm isn't it? Do they have this smog junk happening?:)

·
Registered
336 Posts
The tree hugging over bugeted emissions program nationwide can suck a fat one, what a ****in scam.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, if you thought they were really interested in our enviroment you could swallow this stuff. But I think scam is a correct term.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
hey Roger,
i'm sure you know this already,but you did disconnect the computer wire before timing the car right,then plug back in after timing is set.the tan(i think)single wire.thats critical.
do you have an aftermarket cam?
only other thing i can think of,is the previous owner may have put a camero or other chevy timing chain cover on there,and the timing tabs are in a slightly different location.so you maybe hitting the mark right on,but the marker itself maybe wrong.
if it happens again,time the car right in front of the guy.:good luck:smokin:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi H5L,

yep...
nope...
we will soon find out
I'll post the results of this little drama later today. Then maybe I can get on to the fun stuff like a little resto and mods.
CU Roger

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Welcome aboard and keep us informed. I'm real curious about this and if Mr. Smog is reading the timing light correctly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smogged!!

Hi Guys,

Wednesday was a complete waste, but Thursday got to the bottom of things. Nothing was changed on the car since it failed on timing the second test. It just went straight to a new smog man. He tested it not knowing what had happen before he got it. He found it to be 6 btdc on timing perfect. Emissions were found to be great and so the car passed no problem.
I believe the first test was correct, timing 10 degrees off caused emissions to be way off. However, I think the second test where the emissions mysteriously went to very good and the timing was off, smog man did not pull the tan wire before timing. Thus a bad reading on his part yet in truth the timing was correct and so the emissions were fine. What an aggravation, but alls well that ends well, right? Now, on to the new to me noise that is coming from the passenger side rear wheel.
CU Roger

·
Registered
335 Posts
MVR 155 said:
The tree hugging over bugeted emissions program nationwide can suck a fat one, what a ****in scam.
:agree:

The earth has survived 1,000,000 years of solar flares, meteor showers, sun spots, so called global warming, continental shifts, global floods, ice ages and massive earthquakes.

Does anyone REALLY believe that it can’t handle with your 1985 Corvette.
:smokin::

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
good deal,don't need any unwanted stress in todays world.good thing you know your car,or who knows how long the other guy could have kept messing up the test.:smokin:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Re: smog, yuk!

Roger said:
Florida is warm isn't it? Do they have this smog junk happening?:)
We used to have it, but they did away with it. Too expensive to operate the test stations. Hooray. :) :)

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Re: Re: smog, yuk!

Bob88con said:
We used to have it, but they did away with it. Too expensive to operate the test stations. Hooray. :) :)
Not only that but you could have a car that smoked bad but as long as you were in there number range they would pass you.
Kinda crazy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts