Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most shops have or would like to have an air compressor to run air wrenchs, fill tires, run die grinders ETC. the problem, is most reasonably priced air compressors can,t maintain the flow voluum at reasonable pressure levels and your constantly waiting for the tank to re-pressurize so you can use the air tools for more than a few minutes at a time, cheap compressors lack the tank size and flow to keep up, and few guys have the room or want to spend several thousand dollars on a commercial compressor, which can easily cost twice too three times what two home shop,compressors cost. try pricing a single 15hp 160 gallon compressor?

yeah, the use of TWO of the cheaper 60-80 gallon single stage compressors feeding a single comon air pipe with taps around the shop is usually far cheaper than trying to find a decent single compressor that will keep up with most tool demand, keep in mind pressures above about 125 psi are not usually needed or necessary but having the voluum of air flow two seperate compressors can provide is usually a big plus. BTW I got my current compressors at HOME DEPOT for $450 each, rated at 7hp 80 gallon, 130 psi

similar to this, but I don,t currently see the exact one listed

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100349429

btw
I used several hundered feet of 3/4" schedual 80 PVC pipe rated at 660 PSI to pipe the air around the shop and used brass fittings screwed and glued into the pick-up access points , both compressors feed a 3/4" pipe that then dips to a drain valve then shoots over the rafters to a (T) where its routed along the walls to every place I might EVER use air flow to clean or opperate tools in the shop,and its worked flawlessly at about 1/8 the price of copper pipe and sweated joints I used in the previous shop.
keep in mind moisture tends to run down hill so route your pipes so that the pipes drain to drain valve locations and all access points to draw air are higher than the drain points IE don,t run the pipe level with the floor,pick-up points should be higher than drains and there should be several drain valve points, one near the compressors and at least one more before any access to the air for tools my compressors are feeding the pipe at 5 feet from the floor,it slants to a drain at 4.9 ft from the floor,then shoots dirrectly up the wall,over the rafters in a sweeping curve and drops to the opposite side of the shop at a drain at 5 ft from the floor, all access points are tees 6 ft from the floor

yes IM aware that PVC pipe is not generally suggested for pressurized air....and sweated copper or galvanized steel is suggested...

Oh IM only too aware of the minimal risks, but Im also aware of the huge cost differance, like 800% higher for copper and steel pipe rusts,, the copper pipe I used in the last shop would have cost me hundreds of dollars in this shop,the better moisture tollerance and several hundred psi safety margin (pipes rated at 660 psi and it will never see 140 psi) and almost negligible risk of injury, the worst case is it fails too hold air pressure and my air tools don,t work
I probably would never have tried it if a buddys shop had not used it without any problems for over 12 years now , and hes located less than 5 miles from here so he gets similar shop temps and pressures on the pipe,

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Here is the one I bought a couple of weeks ago.

It came with a air wrench 3/8" and a impact wrench 1/2" - maybe not top of the line but they do work.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...ir+Compressors+&+Inflators&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I think I paid $344 with tax and everything. That includes the rubber hose I got - which was like $40 dollars.

It came with all the fittings and brass couplers or whatever its called.

·
Super Moderator
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
having access too any compressors a huge improvement over having none, in the shop, I could not believe how helpfull having access to air ratchets and die grinders was when I got my first compressor and a few air tools.
when I go over to the BROTHER IN LAWS garage, his compressors a huge help over nothing at all, but its a P.I.T.A. to use if your doing serious repairs because its only something similar to this

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5637

a HUGE improvement over not having any compressor but you constantly wait for the pressure to build to use tools, yeah you get spoiled, and its mildly anoying having to wait for the air wratchet to continue to work after you get into a project

1 - 3 of 3 Posts