Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've almost got my differential out, all the bolts holding it on are off, but I can't get to the bolts that hold the differential to the crossmember as they come from the top.

I've tried putting my small crowbar between the crossmember mount point and the crossmember and gave it some good whacks but nothing.

So is there any secret to it other than get a larger crow bar?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Bigger crowbar, assuming I'm reading correctly that you're trying to drop the cross member from the frame, and the cross member bolts have been removed.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bigger crowbar, assuming I'm reading correctly that you're trying to drop the cross member from the frame, and the cross member bolts have been removed.
Yes, the bolts that hold the crossmember to the frame mount through the rubber cushions are off. The single front bolt that holds the diff to that rubber cushion is off, and the driveshaft has been disconnected.

Ok then, more power!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Loosin do not remove the bolts that hold the cross member to the frame when it breaks loose it might fall.
I used a ball joint pickel fork and drove it between the flange on the frame and the flange on the cross member and pulled down it popped loose.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loosin do not remove the bolts that hold the cross member to the frame when it breaks loose it might fall.
I used a ball joint pickel fork and drove it between the flange on the frame and the flange on the cross member and pulled down it popped loose.
I put my hydraulic jack under the diff and then took my 5lb hammer and shoved a nail puller wedge in there and it finally popped. Pickel fork, that's something I'm going to need to get.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have a small port-a-power that comes in handy when working on 40 yr old cars...:D

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At some point along the way of taking my rear drive components out, I thought I needed the "jaws of life" or divine intervention. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have a small version of the jaws of life spreader for my port-a-power.

Well I have every thing back in the rear except for the sway bar, and brakes...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts